ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 05:02:21 PM 
Started by Peter Kowalczyk - Last post by Mike Caldwell
I have a 16 ch Seismic split that's been OK. I also have an 8 channel drop snake. The jacks in the box were intermittent, so I replaced them all with Switchcraft. Then 2 of the channels went bad *at random points in the cable*, with no abuse or sign of physical damage. Never seen that before.

Seismic Audio doing what it does best!

on: Today at 04:48:14 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by Helge A Bentsen
Have you seen the new software?  It is much better has a setup wizard.

The Metal are 5ghz only and include a huge antenna when you get them high on a mic stand it rocks.  Here is a pic of the mechanics of attaching the Atlas 6” extension with band clamp.   It is on a short stand in this pic because I was just slapping it on top of the control rack between the lighting guy and I.  It was like 10u above the mixer so worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, haven’t tested the new software, but I’m thinking about buying a second one, so I might have a look at it then.
Mine is permanently mounted in the lid of my driverack, still works very well.

on: Today at 04:25:40 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by Scott Holtzman
I have a Mikrotik Metal, so far it's been very nice to work with.
My only issue with it is that it's not easy setting up, I gave up on it and rented an IT person to get it done.
Have you seen the new software?  It is much better has a setup wizard.

The Metal are 5ghz only and include a huge antenna when you get them high on a mic stand it rocks.  Here is a pic of the mechanics of attaching the Atlas 6” extension with band clamp.   It is on a short stand in this pic because I was just slapping it on top of the control rack between the lighting guy and I.  It was like 10u above the mixer so worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on: Today at 03:55:49 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by Russell Ault
Interestingly, (to me anyway...) I have had more than a few 2.4GHz systems show up on festival stages, and never seen one fail in that scenario. I guess it's possible that with the usual crowd barricades etc. that on a big festival, the acts are far enough away from the crowd that the punterphones don't cause a problem. This has gotten to the point where I don't even give the "It's 2.4GHz, you're welcome to use it, but you're on your own if you have problems..." speech anymore. ???

I think the other side of the inverse-square law helps in a lot of these situations, too: if the guitar player's RX is on their pedal board or the conga player's IEM TX is under the back of their stool, the proximity (in addition to the unobstructed LoS) will help the CNR a lot. I still wouldn't spec 2.4GHz for those applications, but I'd hope that any wireless system could be operated reliably when the TX-RX distance is less than 1m. :P

-Russ

on: Today at 03:02:10 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by Thomas Le
Same.  Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP (supports POE) and a UAP-AC-LR (flying saucer shape but is a bit directional) mounted up high. Disabled the 2.4 radio entirely so it doesn’t add processing load to the router answering useless requests. I ALWAYS maintain line-of-sight with the AP and it’s been absolutely flawless (even at large festivals — donning flame-proof suit now for that admission).

LOL same for me! Except I use a UAP AC M using a butterfly mic clip. Great system!

on: Today at 02:58:55 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by Helge A Bentsen
I have a Mikrotik Metal, so far it's been very nice to work with.
My only issue with it is that it's not easy setting up, I gave up on it and rented an IT person to get it done.

on: Today at 02:05:24 PM 
Started by Tim McCulloch - Last post by Lee Douglas
David Sanborn at 78. 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/13/entertainment/david-sanborn-death/index.html

on: Today at 02:04:37 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by dave briar
I've had great luck with Ubiquiti stuff, and it's relatively inexpensive.
Same.  Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP (supports POE) and a UAP-AC-LR (flying saucer shape but is a bit directional) mounted up high. Disabled the 2.4 radio entirely so it doesn’t add processing load to the router answering useless requests. I ALWAYS maintain line-of-sight with the AP and it’s been absolutely flawless (even at large festivals — donning flame-proof suit now for that admission).

on: Today at 01:53:29 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by Brian Jojade
That actually makes sense. It's the smaller venues where everyone is in much greater proximity to one another where the issues seem to crop up.

Also, do big festivals actually provide WiFi? I have a friend that tours with Big Names and does IT and I know she sets up WiFi systems along with all the usual control networking for production, but I don't know if that's common practice or not.

Providing WIFI isn't always standard operating procedure.  I've worked on some festivals where they set up access points at FOH and on stage and other areas. I've been on some where there doesn't appear to be anything about the show using WIFI.  On shows that do have it, it seems that it's only used for convenience, and anything show critical doesn't end up using it.

As far as reliability goes, modern equipment does a much better job behaving in random places, but there's still the occasional situation where rogue equipment comes into play and makes a mess of things.  Some wireless mics work great but destroy the wifi in the area.  Other times, the working range is horrid, or if there's interference it's 2-3 seconds of dropout while it re-pairs itself.

It's just one of those things where avoiding 2.4ghz for mics is a better idea.  If you're doing a low density project, say a mic for an exercise studio, that's a good use case for a cheap mic. On a live event stage, nope.

on: Today at 01:29:23 PM 
Started by George Reiswig - Last post by brian maddox
Interestingly, (to me anyway...) I have had more than a few 2.4GHz systems show up on festival stages, and never seen one fail in that scenario. I guess it's possible that with the usual crowd barricades etc. that on a big festival, the acts are far enough away from the crowd that the punterphones don't cause a problem. This has gotten to the point where I don't even give the "It's 2.4GHz, you're welcome to use it, but you're on your own if you have problems..." speech anymore. ???

That actually makes sense. It's the smaller venues where everyone is in much greater proximity to one another where the issues seem to crop up.

Also, do big festivals actually provide WiFi? I have a friend that tours with Big Names and does IT and I know she sets up WiFi systems along with all the usual control networking for production, but I don't know if that's common practice or not.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.