ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bar Band PA question  (Read 2850 times)

Robert Healey

Re: Bar Band PA question
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 03:53:48 PM »

Do you or somebody in the band already own that Fulcrum? If not then why don't you cut down on the lugging some more.. what you describe is a prefect application for a self powered box.. even if it is some other brand. You will have to spend the same kind of money as that Fulcrum box and the DSP amp combined of course(https://meyersound.com/product/ultra-x40/), I'm not suggesting this as a cost savings effort because it won't be if you want the same level of performance. But then again a pub band can certainly get by with something other than a touring class speaker system, lots of acts certainly manage with far more humble gear.

I get the point and am in general agreement (I ditched the amp racks myself), but a pair of FA28s and a Dynacord L3600FD (which I believe is the cheapest amp on Fulcrum's list in the power range recommended for the FA28) is significantly less cost than those Meyer boxes.

Jon Rosen

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 05:00:28 PM »

Do you or somebody in the band already own that Fulcrum? If not then why don't you cut down on the lugging some more.. what you describe is a prefect application for a self powered box.. even if it is some other brand. You will have to spend the same kind of money as that Fulcrum box and the DSP amp combined of course(https://meyersound.com/product/ultra-x40/), I'm not suggesting this as a cost savings effort because it won't be if you want the same level of performance. But then again a pub band can certainly get by with something other than a touring class speaker system, lots of acts certainly manage with far more humble gear.

We own just the one Fulcrum, got it used very cheaply, too low to walk away from with no plan for it!
Previous to buying it I was thinking of picking up a pair of the new RCF NX 912-a for my keyboard. Depending on the night run mono or stereo and then mix and match them with Fulcrum, EAW's and JBL's for the band. As I type it out it seems like too much work.

The Meyer's look great but out of my price range.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 05:58:28 PM »

We own just the one Fulcrum, got it used very cheaply, too low to walk away from with no plan for it!
Previous to buying it I was thinking of picking up a pair of the new RCF NX 912-a for my keyboard. Depending on the night run mono or stereo and then mix and match them with Fulcrum, EAW's and JBL's for the band. As I type it out it seems like too much work.

Yes.. there is much to be said for the KISS principle, those NX912's would be plenty suitable for what you're doing here and a healthy improvement sonicaly from a passive speaker with none or only minimal processing.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 06:04:00 PM »

Previous to buying it I was thinking of picking up a pair of the new RCF NX 912-a for my keyboard.
Jon,

If you are all using in-ear monitors, with no acoustic drums, a 2x8" may work for you.
The FA 28 is a great sounding speaker, but you can't expect much bottom (say goodby below 65Hz) from a single passive 8" co-ax with a helper 8". A subwoofer with a pole mount for the FA 28 would work for (very) small rooms.

If you were considering a pair of 12" for just the keyboard, your stage volume will likely exceed what the 2x8" is capable of.

If you are all using in-ear monitors, with no acoustic drums, a 2x8" may work for you.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 06:26:23 PM »

Jon,

The FA 28 is a great sounding speaker, but you can't expect much bottom (say goodby below 65Hz) from a single passive 8" co-ax with a helper 8". A subwoofer with a pole mount for the FA 28 would work for (very) small rooms.

If you were considering a pair of 12" for just the keyboard, your stage volume will likely exceed what the 2x8" is capable of.

My thought as well.  The FA22 is likely a better option, and you won't have to monkey with a dual PA type setup. 

Regardless of what speakers - you always (IMHO) need a subwoofer or two.  Main speakers simply can't reproduce an impactful kick like a real subwoofer.  The few that kind of can (Danley SM80F) are getting up there in size.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »

We've never used the Fulcrums before so it's kind of untested. We'll still need a DSP amp to run it and if that's the case it will cut down on lugging a big speaker!

And we've never used a sub before. The places we play are so small and we never put the bass thru the PA. That could all change if we like just the Fulcrum and try to get more control of the sound then a small sub might be needed.
Thanks

I prefer having a sub as a speaker stand instead of an actual speaker stand.  I'm not sure what out there is compact with an external amp, but I would look at the EV ETX15SP, RCF Sub905, Yamaha DXS15XLF for a nice compact system.

I demo'd the Fulcrum TS215ac (powered version) years ago, and I wasn't thrilled of it.  I'm a previous Fulcrum FA22ac owner and kick myself for selling them when I "retired" from the business.  I started back up with JBL SRX812P over SRX828SP and now replacing the SRX812P with the new RCF NXL44Amk2 (hopefully delivered in March).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:59:55 PM by Matt Vivlamore »
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 07:09:05 PM »

Regardless of what speakers - you always (IMHO) need a subwoofer or two.  Main speakers simply can't reproduce an impactful kick like a real subwoofer.  The few that kind of can (Danley SM80F) are getting up there in size.

That's assuming that you're putting a kick drum through the PA.  If you are, then, yes, a sub would be required to make that sound decent.  If you're just putting vocals and guitar through the system, then no sub would be needed.  In a small room, the bass amp alone can do its job.
Brian Jojade

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 07:12:12 PM »

I prefer having a sub as a speaker stand instead of an actual speaker stand. 

I agree.  The 'look' of tripod stands just never worked well for me.  Somehow a box with a stick out of it is cleaner and prettier to my eye.

And now the mini towers on top of subs are becoming quite a common sight as well, so there's just the straight stick out of the sub box.  These are becoming my go-to systems for smaller events.  Super clean, and fast to deploy.  Sound quality isn't too shabby either.
Brian Jojade

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 08:27:54 PM »

In a small room, the bass amp alone can do its job.

True, that's why I mentioned kick in particular - it seems to be one of the first instruments that gets lost, and needs subwoofers the most.  Agreed that for small rooms a good bass amp can get by without a PA. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jon Rosen

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »

I've been going over my options and trying to figure out what works best but also won't break the bank. One thing I'm trying to work on is that there are different configurations depending on the band/venue.
I'm thinking the best scenario might be selling the Fulcrum,(maybe along with some other gear to offset the cost a bit) and starting fresh.

I originally only wanted an upgrade for my keyboard rig and was thinking a pair of RCF NX912-a's. Some nights use both for me in stereo, other nights go mono and use the other one for a mono main. Then I came across the Fucrum FA28 and that's when I started thinking about a PA upgrade for the band(s). Too much thinking.

I like the suggestions of a sub that also works as a stand, tripods have always kinda freaked me out. With a sub we wouldn't necessarily need the RCF NX12's but I could save some money and get the RCF NX10's. One for me, one for the band with the RCF 705-ASII.  The specs between the 12" and 10" seem minimal. Monitor would still be the Crown K2 and a JBL wedge.

Not sure about this, but maybe I could still run in stereo if I balance my stage volume accordingly. This comes in around $3100.

I think this would work well for most of the small bar/restaurants we play. We're not playing any place bigger these days.

If we we're to keep the Fulcrum, we need another Fulcrum, the Dynacord and a sub. That would be about $750 more.

Thoughts?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.