ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Single 18"s V.S dual 15"s for subs  (Read 22683 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Single 18"s V.S dual 15"s for subs
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:06:25 PM »

. Currently have one 18" sub but one sub is not enough when your outside with a band at a block party.

Friends don't let friends use Nady. LABsters don't encourage strangers to use Nady.

Peter Morris

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:13 AM »

Looking at Upgrading My Pa system and adding more subs. So im wondering whats better having two single 18" s or getting two dual 15"s. I run single 15"s for tops and plan on crossing my subs at 125.0hz. Im leaning towards getting two dual 15"s am I going in a good direction.

Yes ....

As a VERY ROUGH guide - for reflex loaded bass speakers; if you are looking at 15s & 18s of similar quality and design, one double 15 cab is worth about one and a half 18’s.

I think you really need a double 18 for a rock band, but you might get away with a double 15. A single 18 a side will struggle unless it’s one of the new super range of drivers with huge power handling & Xmax ... and a price to match 

scott boehmer

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »

Yes ....

As a VERY ROUGH guide - for reflex loaded bass speakers; if you are looking at 15s & 18s of similar quality and design, one double 15 cab is worth about one and a half 18’s.

I think you really need a double 18 for a rock band, but you might get away with a double 15. A single 18 a side will struggle unless it’s one of the new super range of drivers with huge power handling & Xmax ... and a price to match

Thanks for all the advice Im glade I singed up here before jummping to a purchase. Currently the sub I have is a single 18" EV iForce rated at only 350w at 8ohm and of course two at that rating still insnt enough. My totall system is two peavey 1x15" for high/mid one single 18" ev, 4 12" peavey monitors and a 15" community monitor. Two peavey Ipr 1600 for mains/and the one sub , a peavey 900 for back up or 15" mon, and mackie 1400i run the 12" monitors. And this is all Run by a new peavey 24 ch fx board and rack gear. Just out of curiosity what are your thought on seismic audio.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »

Just out of curiosity what are your thought on seismic audio.
Just another cheap product that won't serve you well, if you cannot afford to buy new at this time then buy a single quality used sub, products like the older JBL SR, EV QRX, Yorkville LS series will all deliver a lot more output than these super cheap offshore alternatives and last more than the first five minutes of use.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »

Just another cheap product that won't serve you well, if you cannot afford to buy new at this time then buy a single quality used sub, products like the older JBL SR, EV QRX, Yorkville LS series will all deliver a lot more output than these super cheap offshore alternatives and last more than the first five minutes of use.

Yes, what he said!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Parker

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »

Yes ....

depends on where you are working. I work cover tune rock bands in the Houston area(lots of 80's tunes), and I have two basic setups. One has a single 18" sub on each side, one has a dual 15" sub on each side. I use the smaller setup in the best paying of the clubs I work, and get plenty of thump at the volume those venues want. I will agree that a double 15 will do about 1.5 what a single 18 will do, all things being equal as far as quality of the cabs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:04:14 AM by David Parker »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »

I will agree that a single 18 will do about 1.5 what a double 15 will do, all things being equal as far as quality of the cabs.

Will you please carify that.  Sounds like you are saying a single 18 is 50% better than a double 15?

David Parker

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »

Will you please carify that.  Sounds like you are saying a single 18 is 50% better than a double 15?
Sorry. I meant it the other way around. The double 15 will do 1.5 what the single 18 will do. Of course, as I said, this would not hold true of all single 18s and all double 15s.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »

The point is, don't think in terms of dual 18, dual 15, single this, triple that.

Who cares what the sub is made of. I only care if it will do the job or not. Some of the loudest subs in the market use 12's. They are also twice as big as your kitchen fridge too.

If you have a very low budget, you will find more deals in the 118 market than anything else. It's just economy of scale. They built more 118's than anything else, therefor there are more of them floating around the used market. That doesn't make them better, just more plentiful....

I hate to say it, but you might find some old cerwin vega's in your price range. They don't sound the best, but they can get loud and reinforce the kick drum very well. (they are a one-note, dance club kind of sub) It might be worth looking into...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.