ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Single 18"s V.S dual 15"s for subs  (Read 22681 times)

scott boehmer

Single 18"s V.S dual 15"s for subs
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »

Looking at Upgrading My Pa system and adding more subs. So im wondering whats better having two single 18" s or getting two dual 15"s. I run single 15"s for tops and plan on crossing my subs at 125.0hz. Im leaning towards getting two dual 15"s am I going in a good direction.

paul bell

Re: Single 18"s V.S dual 15"s for subs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »

Hey Scott, welcome to The LAB!

I would go with the dual 15 subs.

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:22:35 AM »

Looking at Upgrading My Pa system and adding more subs. So im wondering whats better having two single 18" s or getting two dual 15"s. I run single 15"s for tops and plan on crossing my subs at 125.0hz. Im leaning towards getting two dual 15"s am I going in a good direction.

Assuming the 18's and 15's are in the same market level go with the dual 15's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 03:41:04 AM »

Performance matters; transducer diameter is only one of several parameters contributing to the performance of a subwoofer.

What are your expectations and what's your budget?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »

Get what works.  Sometimes it's a 21", sometimes it's a 12".  You cannot use a box's specifications to make any assumptions as to its likely performance.

scott boehmer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »

Performance matters; transducer diameter is only one of several parameters contributing to the performance of a subwoofer.

What are your expectations and what's your budget?

My buget is low I Have been looking at Nady audio's dual 15" subs they are $450 for a set. 500 w rms 800 w peak at 4ohm and planning on running of a mackie 1400i power amp which I already have. The reviews on the nady has been decent other than ruugged ness of the cabs so I plan to reinforce the cabs. As far as expectaions just need to add low end so I dont have to push my tops as hard. Currently have one 18" sub but one sub is not enough when your outside with a band at a block party.

P.S Thanks, glade to be a new member

Jack keaton

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »

My buget is low I Have been looking at Nady audio's dual 15" subs they are $450 for a set. 500 w rms 800 w peak at 4ohm and planning on running of a mackie 1400i power amp which I already have. The reviews on the nady has been decent other than ruugged ness of the cabs so I plan to reinforce the cabs. As far as expectaions just need to add low end so I dont have to push my tops as hard. Currently have one 18" sub but one sub is not enough when your outside with a band at a block party.

P.S Thanks, glade to be a new member

Do not waste your money on nady you will end up having to buy again. if you are from america check GC used gear. or craigslist (i bought peavey versarray subs for 800)

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »

It gets stated here often in several different ways.. the wrong piece of equipment at any price is still the wrong piece of equipment.. you get what you pay for.. etc.

IMO if you got to reinforce a brand new speaker then you're not buying a very high quality speaker, and if the box is that bad how reliable are the drivers gonna be.
For outdoor work what you need are some high output subs, and one sub that stands out from the crowd in this regard is the Yorkville LS801p, this particular single 18 box produces pretty close to the same output as a dual 18 and includes the amplifier though there is also a passive version available if you already have a decent amp to power it. You didn't mention what 18" sub you already have or if you intended to keep it or not, but we're gonna suggest you buy a better quality sub like this because it's a better investment which is besides the fact that it'll perform much better than a cheap as dirt alternative like the Nady.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »

Skip the Nadys, buy the best used speakers you can find.  The quality of the speaker is more important than the size.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »

Paul has the duality of Gear Acquisition Syndrome:  The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear and;  Buy once, cry once.  In the long term this all saves you money because you don't make a series of lateral upgrades.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.