ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single 18"s V.S dual 15"s for subs  (Read 22679 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Single 18"s V.S dual 15"s for subs
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »

Thanks for all the advice Im glade I singed up here before jummping to a purchase. Currently the sub I have is a single 18" EV iForce rated at only 350w at 8ohm and of course two at that rating still insnt enough. My totall system is two peavey 1x15" for high/mid one single 18" ev, 4 12" peavey monitors and a 15" community monitor. Two peavey Ipr 1600 for mains/and the one sub , a peavey 900 for back up or 15" mon, and mackie 1400i run the 12" monitors. And this is all Run by a new peavey 24 ch fx board and rack gear. Just out of curiosity what are your thought on seismic audio.

Friends don't let friends use Seismic audio <g>   Really I'd guess most of us have been where you are, trying to get the job done by spending the least amount of $ and/or buying what was used and available. 

We tried them, we used them, sound came out...but: as time goes but we discover 2 things. They sound bad and they may or may not survive the show.

So that leaves you the choice of buying more and more until you finally have enough rig for the gig or better and better until you have enough ring for the gig AND it fits into your van or trailer.

Since you are asking advise here we can presume you have an interest in doing as high a quality job as you can afford and  maximizing your hardware investment. Hopefully you can amass a bit more cash or find a great deal in something just a bit more usable then the makes you have mentioned.

As a start may I direct you attention to the Yamaha club series as a compromise between 'I got no $" and 'I need something the works reliably'

John Lackner

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:38 PM »

A double 15 will give you more "punch", a single 18 will give you more "boom".
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:30 PM »

A double 15 will give you more "punch", a single 18 will give you more "boom".

What makes you think that?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:34 AM »

What makes you think that?

Well just look at it. It looks like it's more punchy doesn't it?  ::)
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 06:44:34 AM »

Well just look at it. It looks like it's more punchy doesn't it?  ::)
ANd using the same logic a 5" ought to give lots of "punch" because it is smaller-lighter-faster etc.

Sometimes generallizations are true-other times they are way off.

Just look at the number of 21" cabinets that don't go below 40Hz.  You would think------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »

The point is, don't think in terms of dual 18, dual 15, single this, triple that.

Who cares what the sub is made of. I only care if it will do the job or not. Some of the loudest subs in the market use 12's. They are also twice as big as your kitchen fridge too.
+1, there is much more to a speaker's performance than the number of drivers or their diameter and that is even before considering how well they are applied and operated.

Currently the sub I have is a single 18" EV iForce rated at only 350w at 8ohm and of course two at that rating still insnt enough.
The sub being a single 18" rated at 350W and 8 Ohms does not really say anything about its performance or whether one or two of them is 'enough' or not.  And is the issue that it isn't enough general output, isn't enough low frequency extension, isn't enough 'punch', isn't impressive enough looking or what?  What you are trying to achieve? 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »

+1, there is much more to a speaker's performance than the number of drivers or their diameter and that is even before considering how well they are applied and operated.
The sub being a single 18" rated at 350W and 8 Ohms does not really say anything about its performance or whether one or two of them is 'enough' or not.  And is the issue that it isn't enough general output, isn't enough low frequency extension, isn't enough 'punch', isn't impressive enough looking or what?  What you are trying to achieve?
Agreed-a spec like 350 watts 18" is like syaing "My car get 20 mpg and has a  6 cy engine.

That tells NOTHING about how many people you can put in it-what sort of loads it can carry (if it is a truck) or how fast it will go.

A LOT more information is needed to see it a product is suitable for a particular job or not.

But so often people get "hung up" on things that simple don't matter-and they "think" that is all that is needed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.