ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Singer inconsistent levels, worth getting compressor?  (Read 16887 times)

Mario Maric

Re: Singer inconsistent levels, worth getting compressor?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »

You know, there's nothing wrong with backing off the mic…

:o  (did he just say that?!?!?)

Yeah, I know, it goes against the "normal" advice given, but "normally" singers are too far from the mic to begin with.  Proper mic technique does not just involve getting closer, it involves dynamically positioning ones mouth closer and farther as necessary to achieve an "even" level.  Another aspect is varying ones vocal amplitude to even out the level, but that takes training (not necessarily professional) and lots of practice.
singers complex of wanting to hear his beautiful voice all the time :P. Always complains about not being loud enough and not being able to hear himself.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »

singers complex of wanting to hear his beautiful voice all the time :P. Always complains about not being loud enough and not being able to hear himself.
As someone who has mixed monitors for numerous people with the "more me" complex, I'll tell you what I think:

You singer doesn't know what he wants in his monitor mix and he gets more and more unsure of himself as he becomes the center of attention less and less.

Sound familiar?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mario Maric

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »

As someone who has mixed monitors for numerous people with the "more me" complex, I'll tell you what I think:

You singer doesn't know what he wants in his monitor mix and he gets more and more unsure of himself as he becomes the center of attention less and less.

Sound familiar?
Pretty much.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »

I've tried. He's one of the ones that kisses the microphone too.

We're using a Mixwiz 16, I believe the insert is pre-fader (if someone could back me up on this) so the compressor would be messing with the monitor signal.

When someone brought up the +10 is ok on the fader, the problem is we don't adjust it while we're playing really. We set a mix for the night and that's how it stays throughout the night unless we need a little more acoustic guitar or such for certain songs..

The last sentence of this post, which I highlighted above, tells me this is a "mix from the stage situation" where you don't have a sound man.

If that's the case, then yeah, a compressor would help. It would also help if you do have a soundman.

What you need to shoot for is the compressor only kicking in when it needs to, and not effect the "normal" singing level. A unit with a compressor AND a limiter would be what I'd look for. That way you could set a lower compression ration for when the compressor kicks in and a STOP level for when it gets really loud.

Something as simple as a DBX 166 would work.

You absolutely MUST split the vocalist's mic and use two channels. Use the processed channel for mains, the unprocessed for monitors. This is very important.

This is actually the proper application for a compressor, as opposed to the usual "we can't hear the vocals, so we must need a compressor" we see so much of.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »

The last sentence of this post, which I highlighted above, tells me this is a "mix from the stage situation" where you don't have a sound man.

If that's the case, then yeah, a compressor would help. It would also help if you do have a soundman.

What you need to shoot for is the compressor only kicking in when it needs to, and not effect the "normal" singing level. A unit with a compressor AND a limiter would be what I'd look for. That way you could set a lower compression ration for when the compressor kicks in and a STOP level for when it gets really loud.

Something as simple as a DBX 166 would work.

You absolutely MUST split the vocalist's mic and use two channels. Use the processed channel for mains, the unprocessed for monitors. This is very important.

This is actually the proper application for a compressor, as opposed to the usual "we can't hear the vocals, so we must need a compressor" we see so much of.

+1.....or 2......since this is essentially what I advocated in response #3 in this thread.....

In that response I asked about the monitor situation but have not gotten a response.  I asked because I suspect that it's a "problem" which might be best addressed via the monitor(s).  Monitor mix can/will affect the singers level, weak (or compressed) monitor leading to louder/over singing.  And since it is a "mix from the stage" situation, giving the singer the ability to regulate the voice content of their mix themselves might be helpful.  Something like a Rolls personal mixer

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLPM350

where they can adjust their own level relative to an aux mix might work.  Of course, this means that the singer would have to have 'phones or buds.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:45:51 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mario Maric

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »

What do you guys think is a better solution then?
To get a compressor or could that possibly kill the vocals?
Just to leave it how it is with a lower gain and keep the fader up?

Another good thing is I can use another channel from the compressor for another application like kick drum, etc. since we don't use any compression whatsoever other than guitar/bass players personal compression they have already.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »

+1.....or 2......since this is essentially what I advocated in response #3 in this thread.....

In that response I asked about the monitor situation but have not gotten a response.  I asked because I suspect that it's a "problem" which might be best addressed via the monitor(s).  Monitor mix can/will affect the singers level, weak (or compressed) monitor leading to louder/over singing.  And since it is a "mix from the stage" situation, giving the singer the ability to regulate the voice content of their mix themselves might be helpful.  Something like a Rolls personal mixer

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLPM350

where they can adjust their own level relative to an aux mix might work.  Of course, this means that the singer would have to have 'phones or buds.

Splitting the inputs for him will also let you have individual EQ control over his monitor feed as well as the mains mix. I have had performers who want to hear themselves with lots of low mids in the monitors because they think they sound cool but that same setting for the house mix sounds awful so the split is my norm.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »

The inserts on the mix wiz are post HPF and pre eq.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

Here's a thought don't think its been mentioned.

New singer? ;) jk

There's a cover band I work with and the lead guy doesn't even need a monitor! No lie.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Mario Maric

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »

The inserts on the mix wiz are post HPF and pre eq.
so that would mean I'd need independent channels, correct? They would be pre-fader I assume?

When I play with my other band, we never use monitors...just two sticks. Different style of music and instruments but still...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.