ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Singer inconsistent levels, worth getting compressor?  (Read 16891 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: Singer inconsistent levels, worth getting compressor?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

Yes, pre fader. I use the dbx 1046, 4 channels of compression per unit. If you look on ebay you can find them pretty cheap. Decent compressor overall. Some people don't like that it has no adjustable attack and release but in most cases this can be a good thing if you are a noob to compression.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:42:23 PM by Jonathan Betts »

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »

There are limits to what a technical fix can do for a bad source. Compressors are, in my opinion, best used for turning pretty good into just right rather than terrible into tolerable.

It's not that hard to back off the mic when you get loud and lean in when you get quiet.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »

There are limits to what a technical fix can do for a bad source. Compressors are, in my opinion, best used for turning pretty good into just right rather than terrible into tolerable.

It's not that hard to back off the mic when you get loud and lean in when you get quiet.

And that's why I was saying fix the monitor situation to give the singer a proper reference from which to work.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mario Maric

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »

For now, avoid the compressor then? or at least i should give it a shot and see what kind of damage it'll do.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »

For now, avoid the compressor then? or at least i should give it a shot and see what kind of damage it'll do.

Mario....

please tell us what monitor setup you're running for the singer.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »

And that's why I was saying fix the monitor situation to give the singer a proper reference from which to work.

Good monitors will reinforce it, but singers should just plain know and do it regardless.

Mario Maric

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »

Mario....

please tell us what monitor setup you're running for the singer.
a dedicated monitor mix from one of the aux channels to a monitor angled towards him. I have no problem hearing him in the back and I have no personal monitor for myself.

He's just plain loud and that's how he likes it. If I turn him up anymore it'll just feedback even after being eq'd. no one else complains about their voices or instruments.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:17:05 PM by Mario Maric »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »

a dedicated monitor mix from one of the aux channels to a monitor angled towards him. I have no problem hearing him in the back and I have no personal monitor for myself.

He's just plain loud and that's how he likes it. If I turn him up anymore it'll just feedback even after being eq'd. no one else complains about their voices or instruments.

Reminds me of a guitar player who couldn't hear himself with his amp pointed at his head, two floor wedges and some side-wash monitors roaring at him.  The rest of the band suffered, but he was the one writing the checks.

Put the singer on in-ear monitors and let him do his own mix........or take the advice offered and get another singer.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »

Reminds me of a guitar player who couldn't hear himself with his amp pointed at his head, two floor wedges and some side-wash monitors roaring at him.  The rest of the band suffered, but he was the one writing the checks.

Put the singer on in-ear monitors and let him do his own mix........or take the advice offered and get another singer.

+1  That is the best advice.  I had a longer response ready to go, but then I had to go wouldn't ya know. 
Yeah, I have put up with nutjobs like this before, vocals and guitarists.  For the vocalists, some seem to think that makes them "avant garde", and others just don't get it.  All lack professionalism.  And those guitarists always seem to have dead guitar/fx batteries right after the first set.  Hmm...go figure.  There are definitely days better spent at home doing yardwork.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:11:05 PM by Chris Davis »

Mario Maric

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »

Well thanks for the all the help guys, I'll first talk to the singer then see what to do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.