ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor gig  (Read 11549 times)

Brian Wilkinson

Re: Outdoor gig
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »

Sounds like you are good to go. I wouldn't have a problem with it. You can keep an eye on things using SA.

WOW! Ok thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I was kind of thinking we need more subs and more mains along with power for them. We just don't do that many outdoor shows to justify that.
Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

Brian

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »

WOW! Ok thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I was kind of thinking we need more subs and more mains along with power for them. We just don't do that many outdoor shows to justify that.

Brian

One little thing more.  It was suggested that you center cluster your subs.  I'd both agree and disagree with this depending on the specific situation.

I was in a similar position, needing to maximize the output of the subs I have.  I center clustered them but had to move them back to the sides under the mid/hi's after the singer complained that her fillings were coming loose from the LF backwash of the subs under the front of the stage..........   

So remember that bunching them together will not only give you more punch out front, but it will also put more LF back onto the stage.

Now I'm looking forward to implementing a cardioid sub arrangement.....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:34:33 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »

Sounds like you are good to go. I wouldn't have a problem with it. You can keep an eye on things using SA.

Brian

What we are saying is, this should get you by. You might be a little light on the low end (depending on speaker placment and how hard you push them). Tops should be OK, if all 300 are sitting in front and not too many people sitting to the sides.  Borrow some extra subs from a friend if available to make sure. I don't think I would mix brands or models though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:37:57 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »

If you cant "center cluster" your subs, at least try to get them together within 2 feet of each other. This was my only option a this gig, it worked out real well.

Mike

Scott Snavely

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »

Since I have this type of system, exactly the same bottom end, I've used it for several gigs outside this summer.  It's fine, not going to rattle the earth, but great near to the stage.  For most beer tents, that's what they want high SPL on the dance floor, lower (90-95dB) back at the beer.  Good advice about keeping the urge to turn it up.  Note that if it's hot everything will run hot including breakers.  You've got enough gear to blow some circuits and a hot day won't help.

The main think I've learned about outdoor gigs is to be ready for the sun, the mosquitoes, wind and the rain.  Also, be ready for needing to level out stacks with a nice supply of wood scraps and good straps to keep speakers in their intended place.  And, some nice sandbags to keep lights from blowing down and my EZ up on the ground.  A fresh shirt, some baby wipes and some water is nice too. 

I've learned to really like outdoor gigs and look forward to doing them.  All have been fun, except the one a couple of weekends ago where it rained during tear down and I stashed my gear in the dry eaves of the building and then security broke down and there was a bar fight on top of my lights.  One broken bulb and some cursing and bending metal and all is well.  Dryed it all out on Sunday and all working fine next week.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »

The band I do sound for is going to be playing an outdoor gig, our first with our equipment. We normally play bars.
Our list of available equipment is this:
Amps 3 Crown I tech 8000 and 1 Yamaha P3500 I use on the highs
2 JBL SRX 725 mains
4 JBL SRX 718 subs
They play southern rock so maybe that gives you an idea of sound level. Would this cover 300 people outdoors? (please excuse me for the dumb question). If not could anything be added to our current stuff to make it work? If so what? Maybe we need a large pro  type system? I have no idea what this will do outside.

thanks in advance for any insight,  Brian

Brian...

It's not the # of people but the area. Just figure you'll be fine for everyone within 100' of a speaker and not too far off-axis.
And how loud the crowd will be.  For example, compare a large car show with motorcycles and cars revving their engines to just a large group of people sitting in lawn chairs.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:28:27 PM by Chris Davis »

Luke Landis

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »

I run the same speakers. You will be fine. I did a show for 700 to 1000 people outdoors last week an a nice outdoor mall. Now I did have some SRX 715s for side coverage. World beat type band that's a joy to mix. Very pleasing SPL for the most part. No reason to push to the limits all the time. Remember this not every single person need to have their chest caved in.

The 725 has a 75deg horn, so in some cases, a fill might be needed if you have to cove side stage areas.

Luke Landis

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »

BTW, you could run the FOH on just the 2 Itechs. Simple, and easy. I've tramped the same speakers, and I honestly fine the passive crossover in the 725 to be fine. Do you have a way to add some latency in the highs to match the itechs DSP?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:22 AM »

Same system almost and have done plenty of outdoor gigs with 100db to 75 feet. You can easily cover up o 600 waterbags and expect up to 115db at about 40-50 feet without pushing the gear hard.

Dick Rees is correct. It's not the number of people but the area you wish to cover and a pair of 725s will cover a pretty good sized area with plenty of sound. I suggest you make sure you have good AC, don't run your amps to clip and all will be fine.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:22 AM »

I am wondering what SPL is considered "good" for an audience of 300 people? It sounds to me as if ear splitting levels are becoming the norm.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:22 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.