ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor gig  (Read 11548 times)

Brian Wilkinson

Outdoor gig
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »

The band I do sound for is going to be playing an outdoor gig, our first with our equipment. We normally play bars.
Our list of available equipment is this:
Amps 3 Crown I tech 8000 and 1 Yamaha P3500 I use on the highs
2 JBL SRX 725 mains
4 JBL SRX 718 subs
They play southern rock so maybe that gives you an idea of sound level. Would this cover 300 people outdoors? (please excuse me for the dumb question). If not could anything be added to our current stuff to make it work? If so what? Maybe we need a large pro  type system? I have no idea what this will do outside.

thanks in advance for any insight,  Brian

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Outdoor gig
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »

The band I do sound for is going to be playing an outdoor gig, our first with our equipment. We normally play bars.
2 JBL SRX 725 mains
4 JBL SRX 718 subs
They play southern rock so maybe that gives you an idea of sound level. Would this cover 300 people outdoors? (please excuse me for the dumb question). If not could anything be added to our current stuff to make it work? If so what? Maybe we need a large pro  type system? I have no idea what this will do outside.

That's a passable system for 300 outside if you're not looking for 110dB rock concert volume.  If it were me I would go with it rather than rent, but make sure you listen for any distortion or other signs of stress on your gear, since you will be tempted to turn it up as far as it will go, and if not careful, can blow up stuff.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »

2 JBL SRX 725 mains
4 JBL SRX 718 subs

Brian...

It's not the # of people but the area.  Just figure you'll be fine for everyone within 100' of a speaker and not too far off-axis.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »

2 JBL SRX 725 mains
4 JBL SRX 718 subs

What kind of DSP?

Southern rock dosen't have to 110db. It's not always about being loud. 300 or so is a good number for your gear. Try to center cluster your subs if you can. It may help to get a little more out of what you have.

(OK, I can fixed it)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:42:36 PM by Jamin Lynch »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »

What can of DSP?

Hey, Jamin!!!  Open me up a can of that DSP and pass it over here!!!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »

What can of DSP?

;D

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

Oops!!

Hey, it's Monday after a long week end.

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

2 JBL SRX 725 mains
4 JBL SRX 718 subs

What kind of DSP?

Southern rock dosen't have to 110db. It's not always about being loud. 300 or so is a good number for your gear. Try to center cluster your subs if you can. It may help to get a little more out of what you have.

(OK, I can fixed it)

I use SA and set everything in the Crown amps for subs and mids. I set the xover for the highs in the DR260 because I use the Yamaha amp on the highs plus I aux feed the subs

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »

Lots of "Is this enough gear?" threads... But this is the first time the question could be answered "yes".

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »

What kind of DSP?

(OK, I can fixed it)

I use SA and set everything in the Crown amps for subs and mids. I set the xover for the highs in the DR260 because I use the Yamaha amp on the highs plus I aux feed the subs

Sounds like you are good to go. I wouldn't have a problem with it. You can keep an eye on things using SA.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.