ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb 70v question  (Read 1009 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Dumb 70v question
« on: May 22, 2024, 05:46:08 PM »

If I have 9 speakers in a grid pattern in a room one of them falls right over where the podium normally lives.

If I tapped 8 of these speakers at 16 watts, and the one over the podium at 1 watt, does that make the one speakers quieter? Or it doesn't change it's sensitivity, but will run out of headroom way before the others?

I'm guessing that there's no free lunch here and I'll have to run a volume control for that one speaker.........
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Kurt J Nemer

Re: Dumb 70v question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 06:58:48 PM »

Think of them as light bulbs- the 1 watt speaker should have  about 12dB less output if I remember my decible formula correctly.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 08:05:13 PM »

Think of them as light bulbs- the 1 watt speaker should have  about 12dB less output if I remember my decible formula correctly.
Neat!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 12:22:42 AM »

That's one of the coolest things about 70v systems. Need it quieter or louder in an area, tap it accordingly.  Of course, if you need to be able to adjust it after the install, a separate volume control would make more sense.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 06:08:27 AM »

That's one of the coolest things about 70v systems. Need it quieter or louder in an area, tap it accordingly.  Of course, if you need to be able to adjust it after the install, a separate volume control would make more sense.

Your total tapped watts should be close to the amps output however if the amp is 3db less than total that's no big deal as I doubt you are going to be running the system at FTB*

FTB=Full Tilt Boogie

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 07:16:27 AM »

I was going to mention the same thing or just an on off switch for the speaker over the podium.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2024, 03:27:45 PM »

Your total tapped watts should be close to the amps output however if the amp is 3db less than total that's no big deal as I doubt you are going to be running the system at FTB*

FTB=Full Tilt Boogie

You shouldn't EXCEED the total watt rating. There should be no issue staying below the rating of the amp.

If you tap less watts, that's just less of a load on the amp. Kind of like using a 16 ohm speaker on the amp instead of 4 ohm speakers.  Load it down below 4 ohms and the amp may not like it much.

The only thing different about a 70v system is that there's a transformer that ups the output voltage (at full power) to 70v, no matter what the initial voltage is.  10 watt amp, 70 volts. 1200 watt amp, 70 volts.  Note that an amp rated at 1200 watts at 4 ohms outputs approximately 70 volts, therefore can be directly dropped into a 70v system.

The cool thing is that if you've got say a 100 watt amp that dies and you drop a 200 watt, or 1200 watt amp in its place, the final output on the speakers ends up being exactly the same.

Yes, using a 1200 watt amp here probably means spending more on the amp than you needed to, but it won't hurt anything.
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 04:30:36 PM »

70 volt systems sometimes get a bad rap because of using crappy amps, under powered amps and no proper processing of at least a high pass filter.
Done right with good parts they can work well.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 05:33:54 AM »

You shouldn't EXCEED the total watt rating. There should be no issue staying below the rating of the amp.

If you tap less watts, that's just less of a load on the amp. Kind of like using a 16 ohm speaker on the amp instead of 4 ohm speakers.  Load it down below 4 ohms and the amp may not like it much.

The only thing different about a 70v system is that there's a transformer that ups the output voltage (at full power) to 70v, no matter what the initial voltage is.  10 watt amp, 70 volts. 1200 watt amp, 70 volts.  Note that an amp rated at 1200 watts at 4 ohms outputs approximately 70 volts, therefore can be directly dropped into a 70v system.

The cool thing is that if you've got say a 100 watt amp that dies and you drop a 200 watt, or 1200 watt amp in its place, the final output on the speakers ends up being exactly the same.

Yes, using a 1200 watt amp here probably means spending more on the amp than you needed to, but it won't hurt anything.

You won't always reach the 70 volts until you reach a certain level.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 07:06:31 AM »

You won't always reach the 70 volts until you reach a certain level.

I have ran into a few people who thought....maybe still think that you should be able to always measure 70 volts on a 70 volt system!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 07:06:31 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.