ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern equivalent to Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2?  (Read 6000 times)

Douglas Cyr

Modern equivalent to Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2?
« on: August 04, 2022, 06:26:11 PM »

Hello,

I've been doing some digging and the I/O and processing level of the above mentioned board is perfect for the events that I'm doing - the price point on the used unit is just right too ($600-$800 on sold listings on eBay/Reverb).

The only issue is it's very old and I know they don't support it anymore + many of the used units listed have issues - I wouldn't be too optimistic for it's service life.

What would good newer equivalents be? If money wasn't an issue I love the form factor, interface and power of the Allen & Heath SQ5 but I can't justify the expense of that+the stagebox.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Modern equivalent to Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:03:39 PM »

Actually Sweetwater shows them in stock for $1300.

You don't need a stage box to use the SQ5 if the 16 local inputs are all you need.

The Qu16 would be much better than the Studiolive.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 09:09:31 PM »

Hello,

I've been doing some digging and the I/O and processing level of the above mentioned board is perfect for the events that I'm doing - the price point on the used unit is just right too ($600-$800 on sold listings on eBay/Reverb).

The only issue is it's very old and I know they don't support it anymore + many of the used units listed have issues - I wouldn't be too optimistic for it's service life.

What would good newer equivalents be? If money wasn't an issue I love the form factor, interface and power of the Allen & Heath SQ5 but I can't justify the expense of that+the stagebox.

M32R $2500 (a better option IMO than the Qu16 which is the same price.  M32R includes LCD scribble strips and is a more competent mixer)

Tablet mixing (my recommendation)
Ui24 $1280.00
X32 Rack $1700.00
X-Air XR18 $700

As far as tablet mixing goes, I would say, don't knock it till you try it.  It is amazing in most clubs IME.  Sooooo much better than running a snake of any kind.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 10:58:22 PM »

Tablet mixing (my recommendation)
Ui24 $1280.00
X32 Rack $1700.00
X-Air XR18 $700

As far as tablet mixing goes, I would say, don't knock it till you try it.  It is amazing in most clubs IME.  Sooooo much better than running a snake of any kind.

I would add the QU Pac and the QU SB to that list.

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 01:15:09 PM »

I was a 16.4.2 guy for a few hundred shows.   Next step for me was a Mackie DL-1608.  Better sounding and a simpler workflow.  The Soundcraft SI and eventually the Ui-24r.

If I were buying today it would be another UI-24r but that would be a thrird in house.  My second choice would be the XR/MR 18.

Working 16.4.2's in the Portland market are available at $500.  I'm not even tempted...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 08:22:46 PM »

Agree.  Should have added the Qu SB.  Not as wild about the Qu 16 as it doesn't have LCD scribble strips (also why I didn't mention the X32 Producer or the Expression Si ... although I suppose I should have mentioned the Impact from Soundcraft as it doesn't suffer from the lack of LCD scribble strips).

Mal,

I agree.  I was about to cave in and buy a 16.4.2 when I heard Behringer was going to be releasing smaller versions of the X32.  Then I heard about the X32 Rack and got brave after thinking things through a bit.

Mixing from stage with a physical console is really tough.  I watched some videos of my band doing it and it was clear how bunglesome a process it really was.  I figured if I really hated it, I could likely sell mine at a profit (got one of the first ones off the boat).

I still like the feel of faders under my fingers, but man, setup and ergonomics of mixing in a bar with a tablet is such a breath of fresh air.  Can't imagine going back now.

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 12:38:33 PM »

I know there are better consoles out there but seeing the Presonus for around $500 used is so tempting!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »

I know there are better consoles out there but seeing the Presonus for around $500 used is so tempting!
Go for it.
I use my 16.0.2 for anything I used to use the ubiquitous mackie 1202 or 1402 for. 
Unlike the mackie you get far better EQ, you don't need any additional hardware at all (comps, f/x) and unlike all the other recommended digital offerings you don't need a tablet or PC to accompany it. 
One nice padded zipper case and you are set for weddings, meeting rooms, small ensembles -and user friendly enough that you can even mix with it while playing (reach over in the dark, count along the faders with your fingers and adjust accordingly without even having to look at it -the one disadvantage of a touchscreen!)  This same feature is also great if you are doing set-up and leave and non-audio folk are having to manage it -I even have covered everything except the faders to not intimidate people "just adjust these 2 sliders here" 
Something that's really hard to quickly educate on a tablet -you always get that phone call of "we accidentally touched something and now the screen with sliders is gone!"
Overall it's a handy audio toolkit and one of the harder working devices in my inventory after retiring the Mackie.

If there was a "tablet-style" mixer-box with 4 assignable soft-knobs on it's blank side then 90% of my presonus jobs would change to that!  Even more if they made it with a built-in power amp.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 12:01:14 AM »

I went ahead and ordered the PreSonus - seems to be in fresh condition and will definitely be an upgrade to my Soundcraft Signature 12MTK.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 01:13:36 AM »

Personas failure rate was so high we gave up on them years ago. 

Is this the new model with flying faders

I hope it does well for you.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 01:13:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.