ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern equivalent to Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2?  (Read 2700 times)

Daniel Levi

Re: Modern equivalent to Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 02:17:41 PM »

The service from Music Tribe used to be respectable, but in the last year or two, it's gone from mediocre to utter garbage from what I've heard.  Much of that coincided with the timing to eliminate all dealer channels except through a few large resellers and service is only through MT, which seems extremely understaffed and unresponsive. Parts availability is often measured in months, even for new items under warranty.

I believe the "super partners" are also responsible for repairs, Thomann certainly are but they do have a proper service centre so they are well set up for repairs. https://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_repair.html

Admittedly most manufacturers have parts supply issues, Yamaha being one that has recently reported that they've tried to substitute parts with mixed success.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 07:21:28 PM »

The service from Music Tribe used to be respectable, but in the last year or two, it's gone from mediocre to utter garbage from what I've heard.  Much of that coincided with the timing to eliminate all dealer channels except through a few large resellers and service is only through MT, which seems extremely understaffed and unresponsive. Parts availability is often measured in months, even for new items under warranty.
Despite it having already been said, it's worth re-iterating - a few things have happened in the last couple of years, in case you hadn't noticed, which have screwed up supply chains throughout industry.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 07:42:58 PM »

Despite it having already been said, it's worth re-iterating - a few things have happened in the last couple of years, in case you hadn't noticed, which have screwed up supply chains throughout industry.

I think we're all acquainted with supply chain choke points, and there are plenty of them.

Music Group/Tribe/Clan/Whatever support was headed downward before the Great Deadly Phlegm® became a thing in March, 2020.  I'm sure the pandemic only accelerated the process to near-zero support from the manufacturer, but the pandemic is neither the initial nor sole reason for support failures.
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

Scott Bolt

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 07:58:01 PM »

I think we're all acquainted with supply chain choke points, and there are plenty of them.

Music Group/Tribe/Clan/Whatever support was headed downward before the Great Deadly Phlegm® became a thing in March, 2020.  I'm sure the pandemic only accelerated the process to near-zero support from the manufacturer, but the pandemic is neither the initial nor sole reason for support failures.
Wow.  Good to know, sad to hear.  When the X32 series first came out the support was very good.

Glad I have never had to use my lifetime fader warranty ;)

All kidding aside, the components with the highest failures I have heard of are power supplies and faders..... the usual suspects.  Things that produce heat, and things that move.

As for parts ..... sigh .... it is a crazy world out there.  I lost a 10M contract because we couldn't get parts.  That kind of thing causes serious problems in every company.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2022, 08:52:43 PM »

I personally have not needed any support of my X32 Rack (got a lifetime warranty on all the faders though :) ); however, people I know that have consoles that needed repair did not have any issues with support (also, the amount of failures on the consoles is very low compared to other mixers too).

Have you had problems?  I would be interested to hear about them.

FWIW, I have had many friends that had 16.4.2 mixers that had numerous issues.  Most everyone I know that has X32 mixers have little or no problems with them.... but then, that is just my anecdotal evidence.

I don't own and Tribe products but a few years back (pre covid) an install I got a service call for had some Beheringer install series equipment that had a couple issues, figured I would try contacting them
with a couple questions and to get service info.  Voice mails and emails went un answered for over a week. Told the customer, we trashed that crap and put in some DBX and QSC that's still working today.
Never did ever hear anything from them!!

More or less the same kind of stories you hear today.

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2022, 05:38:54 PM »

UPDATE:

I moved forward with the purchase of the good condition used Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 for $500

As soon as it got to me I couldn't get any audio through the master, auxes, or even headphone jack despite seeing input and output metering.

The next day after powering it off and leaving it over night, everything was working fine except a bad mic preamp on channel 4.

2 days later (yesterday) I took the mixer to my storage unit to demo some speakers for a client: couldn't get any audio out, no signal on the meters except intermittent peaks on the input meters of every stereo channel I tried to use (which worked previously). Bypassed the mixer and sent my laptop audio interface straight into the patch panel of my amp rack and that worked fine.

Sooooo looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and shell out for a more contemporary mixer - I'm sending this one back to the seller.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2022, 08:27:41 PM »

UPDATE:

I moved forward with the purchase of the good condition used Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 for $500

As soon as it got to me I couldn't get any audio through the master, auxes, or even headphone jack despite seeing input and output metering.

The next day after powering it off and leaving it over night, everything was working fine except a bad mic preamp on channel 4.

2 days later (yesterday) I took the mixer to my storage unit to demo some speakers for a client: couldn't get any audio out, no signal on the meters except intermittent peaks on the input meters of every stereo channel I tried to use (which worked previously). Bypassed the mixer and sent my laptop audio interface straight into the patch panel of my amp rack and that worked fine.

Sooooo looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and shell out for a more contemporary mixer - I'm sending this one back to the seller.

Good plan. I wouldn’t touch that mixer with a 10’ toilet brush. They bought one at my day job when they first came out. It took me till 3 years ago to get them to throw it out and replace it with a QL1. Despite the price they know I was right.

Mac

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »

Hello,

I've been doing some digging and the I/O and processing level of the above mentioned board is perfect for the events that I'm doing - the price point on the used unit is just right too ($600-$800 on sold listings on eBay/Reverb).

The only issue is it's very old and I know they don't support it anymore + many of the used units listed have issues - I wouldn't be too optimistic for it's service life.

What would good newer equivalents be? If money wasn't an issue I love the form factor, interface and power of the Allen & Heath SQ5 but I can't justify the expense of that+the stagebox.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Presonus 16.0.2 the digital mixer without recallable HA? If you're buying a mixer, that was one of the main selling points to have recallable HA, at least to me it is.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Art Welter

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2022, 12:32:44 PM »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Presonus 16.0.2 the digital mixer without recallable HA?
Yes, and it also doesn't have motorised faders.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »

Yes, and it also doesn't have motorised faders.
And a strange (to me) work flow.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.