ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Caught in a downpour  (Read 11396 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Caught in a downpour
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »

What do you think of direct sun?

The UV light may help kill any mold spores that are present.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Andrew Zannetos

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 03:40:46 PM »

The UV light may help kill any mold spores that are present.

But doesn't it also degrade the finish? I've also heard that direct sunlight isn't good for paper cones/surround, plus there's always the chance that the voice coil will overheat.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »

Rice is pretty much pointless in this context. Open up the gear as much as possible, get fans going. Add a couple incandescent bulbs to the area to reduce relative humidity.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 06:23:38 PM »

Completely disassemble the speakers including taking the covers off of the amp module.  Let them dry for five days if it's in air con or otherwise low humidity, longer if the conditions are damp.  Mold growing in your speakers is not pretty.   Inspect & test the amp module as you would any piece of electronics that has gotten wet.  If you're not electronics technician savvy  find someone who is.  Test the drivers outside of the box as if you've just reconed them.  Reassemble and test again.

Just another one of several reasons I don't have powered speakers in my inventory.

What Riley says goes.

One last point. When removing the amp modules or opening any electronics check for white staining on the circuit board or between solder joints and the legs of IC's.

If you spot this discoloration use either WD-40, or deoxit and a tooth brush to remove it. This is especially important for ribbon cables, which need to be disconnected and cleaned. Once all of the boards have been cleaned some alcohol should be used to clean off the residue. Good luck.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »

The white residue is what happens when many no-clean soldering fluxes get exposed to water.  It typically takes some decent organic solvent to clean the gooey mess up.  Alcohol will sometimes work.  Commercial flux cleaners may be better.  The best stuff I've used is called Bioact SC10, but that might be kind of hard to get hold of.  But you can probably find some terpene (citrus based) de-fluxer.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »

Just another one of several reasons I don't have powered speakers in my inventory.
Putting the cabs in a clear garbage bag doesn't particularly impair their operation as a downpour approaches, and is remarkably effective. Doesn't help the OP, of course, but it might help the next one. No way in hell I'm ever going back to unpowered monitors.

Same applies to smaller mains, powered or otherwise. Throw a bag over it. Bring the rain. Remove the bag. Carry on.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »

Putting the cabs in a clear garbage bag doesn't particularly impair their operation as a downpour approaches, and is remarkably effective. Doesn't help the OP, of course, but it might help the next one. No way in hell I'm ever going back to unpowered monitors.

Same applies to smaller mains, powered or otherwise. Throw a bag over it. Bring the rain. Remove the bag. Carry on.

They don't need to be clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 10:18:11 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Clear bags being more sonically transparent than others?  :P

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »

Did water get into the amp module? I believe they are pretty much sealed.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »

I like to see if there's water in there. I like to see if I have power lights. I like to see if there are fault lights. I don't like mysteries. They need to be clear.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.