ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Caught in a downpour  (Read 11316 times)

Andrew Zannetos

Re: Caught in a downpour
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 11:41:25 PM »

I've never been able to fully cover my speakers with a trash bag--the horn always get squashed (but the woofer performance remains the same). Have I been doing something wrong this whole time?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »

I've never been able to fully cover my speakers with a trash bag--the horn always get squashed (but the woofer performance remains the same). Have I been doing something wrong this whole time?

If you're playing the show in the rain, HF attenuation is the least of you worries.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 08:40:18 AM »

A bag enclosing a power amp isn't a thermal issue?  I've got rolls of plastic bags for small speakers on outdoor events but never thought to bag up my power amps.

Putting the cabs in a clear garbage bag doesn't particularly impair their operation as a downpour approaches, and is remarkably effective. Doesn't help the OP, of course, but it might help the next one. No way in hell I'm ever going back to unpowered monitors.

Same applies to smaller mains, powered or otherwise. Throw a bag over it. Bring the rain. Remove the bag. Carry on.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »

I learned long ago to be aware of drainage on slabs and in parking lots.  Set up in the wrong place and you're right in the flow to the drains.

Plastic bags and other things are secondary to setting up on the high ground. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Marr

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »

Maybe your bags are too thick (contractor bags)?

I have trash bags from the dollar store (which are about as thin as you're going to find) and they have held up perfectly when i put a wedge inside one during a rain storm.  I would go as thin as possible based on the durabiity you need.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »

A bag enclosing a power amp isn't a thermal issue?  I've got rolls of plastic bags for small speakers on outdoor events but never thought to bag up my power amps.

Of course it is, if it's going to be in the bag for an extended period of time. That's not the plan. They don't get bagged until they need to. I just want to get through a sudden downpour. If it's ongoing, I'm pulling the show.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 09:49:54 AM »

Did water get into the amp module? I believe they are pretty much sealed.

Water is really good at getting into things - it's getting it out that can be a huge hassle. Almost-sealed modules would fit that scenario.  Also water likes to get under chips and just sit there.

David Allred

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 10:15:41 AM »

Of course it is, if it's going to be in the bag for an extended period of time. That's not the plan. They don't get bagged until they need to. I just want to get through a sudden downpour. If it's ongoing, I'm pulling the show.

Of course, rain (generally) means no sun, and the rain on the plastic should draw the heat out.  The bag could be held open for air flow, because sideways rain changes usage requirements completely.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »

Why is everyone still using garbage bags for their speakers?  Invest in proper weather covers from undercovernyc.com.  Put the covers on for any outdoor show. If it rains, it rains. No big deal.
Brian Jojade

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »

We're all cheap bastards Brian, but I agree. And one more thing. Don't go off half bagged on the old bag.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.