ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Help choosing crossover, amps, speakers for wedding band  (Read 29692 times)

Alex Magor

Re: Help choosing crossover, amps, speakers for wedding band
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »

I am a musician in the band and my success and income depends on word of mouth.  The goal is not to get the job done, the goal is to put on the best show we can and wow the crowd as much as we can.  Besides this I have a strong passion for sound quality.  Is it worth a little more effort for me to squeeze a few extra inches of sound quality?  Yes.  Also it is actually a bit faster for me to set up a passive rig vs active rig as I would need to run an extension cord to each speaker.  But the set up time difference is pretty neglible.  My priorities are sound followed by weight followed by price.

Alex, I do not doubt that you think you hear a difference (any maybe there is a difference, I'm not claiming there isn't).

What I think is that for your use *it doesn't really matter*.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking smack on your band or your pursuit of whatever it is you're trying to find.  I'm saying that for the commercial purposes of providing entertainment and dancing at a wedding reception, you're making this much harder than it needs to be.

This is a PA system, not your control room monitors.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:30:58 PM by Alex Magor »

John L Nobile

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »

Have you looked at the Danley SM80? You could get a pair within that budget, and they sound a whole lot better and go louder than anything mentioned so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those would be my first choice as well. Problem would be getting a chance to hear a pair.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »

Yes it sounds like a very well balanced speaker but to my ears the passive box still sounds more open and musical whereas the srx815p sounds more flat and boring
Yes.. and that is on purpose.. by design. A flat response is(or should be) the starting point of all FOH PA systems, this is the blank canvas upon which the engineer can paint any portrait he/she likes meaning it will allow the artist's work to be reproduced exactly as it was intended. Powered speakers get much closer to this goal than passive systems so you will find these systems need less setup work in venues and are less feedback prone, but a system like the SRX powered rig can be made to sound like a passive SRX too if you like, just connect the tuning software and add the peaks and troughs the passive system has in it's response.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 01:10:41 PM »

Steve, since the 2-box limit is a JBL restriction on their use, and I didn't suggest or imply that one should rig more then two when ground-stacked, let's not confuse people. :)

Which is why I said you have to accept the 110° coverage width.

Yep.

-Ray

100* horizontal coverage, but who's keeping tabs....lol
I remember someone here once trying to get 3 VRX tops over the subs.

OP, I love my SRX725's and SRX728s powered by Crown I-Tech 8000s. If you don't mind carrying some extra weight around this is a hard combination to pass on. See if you can stretch that $6,000 mark say to $8000 to allow for cabling and other stuff that might arise.

Alex Magor

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »

Just wanted to try the crown itech 4000 on my new jbl srx 715 and it works even better than the qsc pl380 for mains.  I was mainly testing it on subs and only briefly on mains but its much easier to hear the difference on the srx compared to the mrx boxes.  I an extremely pleased with this setup.  This is the best I heard so far.  But I know the 4000 is slightly underpowered so now im looking at getting a couple of 6000's or perhaps 1 itech 8000 and going mono. 

Alex Magor

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »

I dont understand though why I would go through all the trouble trying to make the active boxes sound like the passive boxes artifically through eq when the passive boxes are giving me what I want naturally.  But maybe u r right and the end result would be worth trying so I dont know.

Yes.. and that is on purpose.. by design. A flat response is(or should be) the starting point of all FOH PA systems, this is the blank canvas upon which the engineer can paint any portrait he/she likes meaning it will allow the artist's work to be reproduced exactly as it was intended. Powered speakers get much closer to this goal than passive systems so you will find these systems need less setup work in venues and are less feedback prone, but a system like the SRX powered rig can be made to sound like a passive SRX too if you like, just connect the tuning software and add the peaks and troughs the passive system has in it's response.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 01:22:30 PM »

I keep mixing up coverages between my VRX and VT4888s. Awkward. lolz. Sorry, Internet.

Since they already have a PA, I presume he's already got a nice investment in Speakon cabling-- and that may be a subtle reason why he's hoping to stick to passive gear... his mind is telling himself (rightfully so) that he has this cable that cost money... it would be nice to be able to keep using it.

Re the SRX boxes-- agreed that they're a great kit (My 725s, whereas they only go out a few times a year anymore, are still workhorses!), but it sounds like the OP is hoping for lighter boxes then 100ish for 725s and 168# for 728s. And since this is for a wedding band... stacks of SRX 725s/728s might piss off the client.

(side note: if you're on a Mac, option-shift-8 will get the degree (°) sign. :) )
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Alex Magor

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »

The thought of cabling didnt even cross my mind.  Im not trying to save pennies.  Sound comes first.

I keep mixing up coverages between my VRX and VT4888s. Awkward. lolz. Sorry, Internet.

Since they already have a PA, I presume he's already got a nice investment in Speakon cabling-- and that may be a subtle reason why he's hoping to stick to passive gear... his mind is telling himself (rightfully so) that he has this cable that cost money... it would be nice to be able to keep using it.

Re the SRX boxes-- agreed that they're a great kit (My 725s, whereas they only go out a few times a year anymore, are still workhorses!), but it sounds like the OP is hoping for lighter boxes then 100ish for 725s and 168# for 728s. And since this is for a wedding band... stacks of SRX 725s/728s might piss off the client.

(side note: if you're on a Mac, option-shift-8 will get the degree (°) sign. :) )

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »

The thought of cabling didnt even cross my mind.  Im not trying to save pennies.  Sound comes first.

And cabling doesn't matter to me now either- if I need more XLR or Speakon or whatever to do something- well, hell, I'll need it eventually anyways, so it's not worth worrying about. :)  [And in reality, it's just been this past year that I've finally gotten enough cabling to feel comfortable, and not stretching it at every show to make it work. And there was still a couple of nail-biters over the summer. And I've lost like 8 NL4 barrels. GRRR.]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »

I dont understand though why I would go through all the trouble trying to make the active boxes sound like the passive boxes artifically through eq when the passive boxes are giving me what I want naturally.  But maybe u r right and the end result would be worth trying so I dont know.

Alex,
You have received unquestionably priceless advice from the likes of Bob, Tim, Paul, Steve (x2), Scott (x2) Ray etc., all recognized and accomplished leaders in SR from across the globe.  They have "been there, done that" more times than you can imagine, learned through the "school of hard knocks" and save the rest of us from repeating mistakes.  While I've not posted much on the forum, I've followed their musings for the past 6+ years and there isn't a day that passes that I don't learn something important - and new.  Personally, I started with an EON platform (if you call it such) years ago...(won't say how long).... with my band where I play bass and also am the default SG guy for the group, moved to MRX5....then PRX6, then SRX7...each step learning more about the physics of sound, SG and environments.  My early foray in getting EQ did not follow the PSW motto of "buy once cry once"...and I paid dearly for it....While I'm holding on to my beloved SRX7's for now, I too made the decision to go powered and currently in the process of acquiring SRX8's...and at my age (SS level), my back has never felt better...So a word to the wise....take their suggestions...SERIOUSLY!!  I'm sure you will eventually find the powered offerings, be they JBL, QSC, EV, EAW, RCF et al, all will deliver much more than you'll need for your planned engagements for the next several years..

Good luck..

Bill

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.