ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Help choosing crossover, amps, speakers for wedding band  (Read 29659 times)

Steve Ferreira

Re: Help choosing crossover, amps, speakers for wedding band
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »

Like mentioned above, if you don't like the sound of the powered stuff then get some Crown I-Tech HD's BUT also remember that you will probably pay just as much for the amps as you did for all your speakers.

Alex Magor

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »

Thanks sounds like the vrx is better for club installs and outdoor festivals than for my needs as a weekly gigging wedding band.

So Alex, a lot of times when people post on here, they either have a fully unrealistic budget (I can haz lie array speakers for a thousand buckz?!?) or murky direction. I get the vibe that you pretty much have no set budget, and will spend whatever you can to make this work well. (You had the PRX rig. Not sure what happened to those. Then you bought the RCFs. Returned them. Now you just picked up the SRX-815s?) So can we freely suggest boxes, no limit on budget, to get you the best rig possible? (It's nice that you have a supplier with a liberal return policy!)

Now you're asking about the VRX? VRX will return you to single 12" boxes. They are also only good for two boxes per side (110° horizontal, 30° vertical) unless you can fly them. I own both SRX and VRX boxes- they both sound great but they are both Tools In The Toolbox. In other words, they each have their place, and it's more difficult to just have one of these models expecting to cover all situations.

-Ray

Alex Magor

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »

Also for budget id like to stay under $6k (and prefer to purchase used)

So Alex, a lot of times when people post on here, they either have a fully unrealistic budget (I can haz lie array speakers for a thousand buckz?!?) or murky direction. I get the vibe that you pretty much have no set budget, and will spend whatever you can to make this work well. (You had the PRX rig. Not sure what happened to those. Then you bought the RCFs. Returned them. Now you just picked up the SRX-815s?) So can we freely suggest boxes, no limit on budget, to get you the best rig possible? (It's nice that you have a supplier with a liberal return policy!)

Now you're asking about the VRX? VRX will return you to single 12" boxes. They are also only good for two boxes per side (110° horizontal, 30° vertical) unless you can fly them. I own both SRX and VRX boxes- they both sound great but they are both Tools In The Toolbox. In other words, they each have their place, and it's more difficult to just have one of these models expecting to cover all situations.

-Ray

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »

Thanks sounds like the vrx is better for club installs and outdoor festivals than for my needs as a weekly gigging wedding band.

Not necessarily. Depends on what the gig requires, coverage-wise. That being said, I've done quite a few shows (including for a local wedding/event entertainment band! As a DJ for school dances as well.) with 2-over-2 VRX ground-stacked per side with great results. But, you have to accept that this is the limit for ground stacking, and you only have a single 12" driver per box.

VRX is great to have as a utility box for, say, front fills on a larger stage. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »

Have you looked at the Danley SM80? You could get a pair within that budget, and they sound a whole lot better and go louder than anything mentioned so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »

Not necessarily. Depends on what the gig requires, coverage-wise. That being said, I've done quite a few shows (including for a local wedding/event entertainment band! As a DJ for school dances as well.) with 2-over-2 VRX ground-stacked per side with great results. But, you have to accept that this is the limit for ground stacking, and you only have a single 12" driver per box.

VRX is great to have as a utility box for, say, front fills on a larger stage. :)

-Ray

I would never setup VRX more then a 2 over 2 setup ground supported. Not being able to "splay" the boxes plays a big role in this.
All the speakers that have been mentioned here are just tools. Every speaker will have pros and cons to them.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »

I would never setup VRX more then a 2 over 2 setup ground supported.

Steve, since the 2-box limit is a JBL restriction on their use, and I didn't suggest or imply that one should rig more then two when ground-stacked, let's not confuse people. :)

Not being able to "splay" the boxes plays a big role in this.

Which is why I said you have to accept the 110° coverage width.

All the speakers that have been mentioned here are just tools. Every speaker will have pros and cons to them.

Yep.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 12:00:51 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion on the Srx powered series.  I just picked up the passive version 15" tops and I have a slight preference of it over the mrx series.  Im gonna check out the powered version in my local guitar center soon.  Though when I tested my 15" mrx against my 12" mrx i have a strong preference for the 15" especially on keyboards.  So either way I will likely end up with 15's for mains.  Also curious if u or anyone might have a preference either way with the srx powered series vs. the vrx powered series.  Thanks!

I don't think you'll like the VRX if you're looking for more "ooph".  It has some other limiting characteristics that ultimately may work against your set up situations, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alex Magor

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »

So I just got back from guitar center, hooked up my keyboards through the jbl srx815p and... It is a step up from the prx version I previously tried.  However it is still in the same active box family of sound.  Yes it sounds like a very well balanced speaker but to my ears the passive box still sounds more open and musical whereas the srx815p sounds more flat and boring like no matter how much u eq it it would still sound more constrained whereas the passive box resonates more openly.  Almost like looking through a glass window vs. no window. Does anyone get what I am saying or u think I am imagining things?

The right rig (SRX812Ps and SRX818SP) will sound crazy good and crush what you have now-- I've never been naive enough to think I can tune a rig better then JBL can (SYSTEM crossovers/EQ, not for room or to correct poor deployment/mic placement). And it'll be scaleable, and power friendly. Simply run an XLR to a remote speaker, plug it in, and you've expanded your rig easily with a setup that will play well with the other speakers.

-Ray
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:06:40 PM by Alex Magor »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »

So I just got back from guitar center, hooked up my keyboards through the jbl srx815p and... It is a step up from the prx version I previously tried.  However it is still in the same active box family of sound.  Yes it sounds like a very well balanced speaker but to my ears the passive box still sounds more open and musical whereas the srx815p sounds more flat and boring like no matter how much u eq it it would still sound more constrained whereas the passive box resonates more openly.  Does anyone get what I am saying or u think I am imagining things?

Alex, I do not doubt that you think you hear a difference (any maybe there is a difference, I'm not claiming there isn't).

What I think is that for your use *it doesn't really matter*.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking smack on your band or your pursuit of whatever it is you're trying to find.  I'm saying that for the commercial purposes of providing entertainment and dancing at a wedding reception, you're making this much harder than it needs to be.

This is a PA system, not your control room monitors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.