ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread  (Read 22763 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »

I thought it might be nice to start a thread for owners and users of Soundcraft Expression digital boards. Being an old analog guy since the 60's, owning quality analog gear, and starting to wind down has kept me from pursuing a digital solution. I won't turn this into a review other than to say the Expression meets or exceeds the sonic capability of my APB Pro House. Being a newbie to digital boards means there will be a learning curve, hence the thought a dedicated thread for the product might be the way to go. I've owned it since Saturday, I have 8 channels from an XV-5080 running to left/right out, I have no issues with any of the control functions, and the next step is to route 8 channels for mics to the mono out.

Below are some pictures of the stage rig I use to supplement the backline, and for FOH as needed. I've also posted pictures of male and female SHIELDED RJ-45s, a popular topic for many.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:49:55 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner thread
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:23:15 PM »

Shielded RJ-45s
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »

Nice Bob. Make sure you have the latest firmware. You might also want to make sure the SD card (boot drive) is well seated. There have been quite a few reports of Si's locking up during shows due to possible firmware issues as well as poorly seated SD cards held in with a piece of tape from the factory.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »

I checked that Greg and I've upgraded the firmware to version 9. What's the quickest easiest way to route 8 inputs to the mono output. Keep in mind I run a dual PA and am using L/R for the backline.

Notice that none of the effects units are powered on and I have a stack of outboard gear that's already been pulled out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:58:41 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »

I've always hated booted CAT5e cables, snagless for me all the way.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Jerry Prince

Re: SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »

I thought it might be nice to start a thread for owners and users of Soundcraft Expression digital boards. Being an old analog guy since the 60's, owning quality analog gear, and starting to wind down has kept me from pursuing a digital solution. I won't turn this into a review other than to say the Expression meets or exceeds the sonic capability of my APB Pro House. Being a newbie to digital boards means there will be a learning curve, hence the thought a dedicated thread for the product might be the way to go. I've owned it since Saturday, I have 8 channels from an XV-5080 running to left/right out, I have no issues with any of the control functions, and the next step is to route 8 channels for mics to the mono out.

Below are some pictures of the stage rig I use to supplement the backline, and for FOH as needed. I've also posted pictures of male and female SHIELDED RJ-45s, a popular topic for many.

All you have to do to send a channel to the mono out is either-

1 Hit the SEL button on any input and in the out section on top of the board. The one that is yellow. Just unselect the LR bottom and hit the MONO button. Now it will be routed to the mono slider and output.

2 Hold the LR or MONO button in the out section down and you can select as many input channels or unselect as many as you want to send or delete from that mix group.

I hope this helps.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »

So, I have a question for those who are using these desks.

Since there are no scribble strips, where is there room for board tape?
It didn't look like there was any space below the fader in the photos on the Soundcraft site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edit
Looking at Bob's desk, it looks like there is some space.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:08:48 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Sammy Barr

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »

There is room for tape at the top of the faders. Careful placement and you can still see silk screened eq ranges. It is easy to enter channel names on the iPad ap and they show up on the touch screen and iPad.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »

So, I have a question for those who are using these desks.

Since there are no scribble strips, where is there room for board tape?
It didn't look like there was any space below the fader in the photos on the Soundcraft site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edit
Looking at Bob's desk, it looks like there is some space.

Correct Rob. You've been over the house (and I hope to have you over again soon) so you've seen the racks. When I cut the rails I left the bottoms 6U high for the 4800 and XV-5080, and then tilted the rails back at an angle that was comfortable to look at and work with. My intent was to let the mixer hang out a bit but not so much the cover wouldn't fit. I mounted the rails and ended up pushing the mixer back a bit which left a little bit less than 1U that I used for a blank off plate and a space for the scribble strip.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:23:06 PM »

All you have to do to send a channel to the mono out is either-

1 Hit the SEL button on any input and in the out section on top of the board. The one that is yellow. Just unselect the LR bottom and hit the MONO button. Now it will be routed to the mono slider and output.

2 Hold the LR or MONO button in the out section down and you can select as many input channels or unselect as many as you want to send or delete from that mix group.

I hope this helps.

Don't I have to set up the input first and route it to a mix or matrix?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:23:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.