ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 57 VIP Kit  (Read 13263 times)

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
57 VIP Kit
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »

Anybody price out a VIP mount for a pair of 57s lately? I Was shocked and apalled that the dual shockmount lists for the price of about 4 of the mics you stick in it.

I do not understand the economics of this at all!

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
Re: 57 VIP Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »

Because that's what the goverment pays for the president so we have to pay the same. I usually stick with a standard T bar mount from my coincident pair.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »

Because that's what the goverment pays for the president so we have to pay the same. I usually stick with a standard T bar mount from my coincident pair.

That is precisely the less expensive solution I'm using.. The shocking part is that Shure expects you to pay 4 hundred bucks for 8 oz of steel and 2 oz of butyl rubber. The apalling part is that you know Uncle Sam probably pays list +20%, out of your pocket and mine. 

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »

That is precisely the less expensive solution I'm using.. The shocking part is that Shure expects you to pay 4 hundred bucks for 8 oz of steel and 2 oz of butyl rubber. The apalling part is that you know Uncle Sam probably pays list +20%, out of your pocket and mine.

Hello,

Uncle Sam probably bought a few and hasn't bought any since.  It's not like they're a consumable.  The one that is used in the WH Press Briefing Room stays put along with the Mics, for day to day usage.   The one that is seen in use for the President's Speeches, is hand carried by WH Communications Staff along with Mics and his Lectern. 

I'm guessing that they don't go through them very often, but, even still, it is the President of the U.S. and they'll buy whatever they need for whatever the price.  To them, it's not an issue.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »

Anybody price out a VIP mount for a pair of 57s lately? I Was shocked and apalled that the dual shockmount lists for the price of about 4 of the mics you stick in it.

The more limited the production run, the higher the per unit cost.  I can't imagine they're going to sell enough of them to be able to produce in quantities sufficient to price them out at a "consumer" level cost.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »

The one I'm used to is about $75 at Full Compass.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
57 VIP Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »

We bought one at the university I used to work at. We then took it to a machine shop and they built like 4 more for around 2 or 3 hundred bucks. I can't remember now, its been a while.

They just bent the steel and we used the bottom Half of a mic clip for the threads.

The shop built ones weren't perfect, but very close. Close enough that when the real one was on one lecturn and the fake on another lecturn you couldn't tell them apart.

We bought them because we dealt with quite a few ex-president type functions. They just look right in that regard.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:25:36 AM »

You really should give uncle more credit. The list from Shure is $800 and that price includes a pair of 57s, wind screens, shock mounts, etc., and the mount(s) alone can be purchased at full Compass for about $275.

As a former federal employee familiar with GSA purchasing the price you see is not GSA pricing unless you see that price in the GSA catalog. GSA prices are the prices negotiated with the manufacturer who guarantees availability. There is also the buy American act which requires a product made in the USA be supplied when requested. EOS. Purchasing outside of the GSA catalog requires written justification through 3 levels of management. This approval is seldom if ever given unless the product is 1) custom made and unique, 2) not in the catalog, 3) not made in the USA. Working as a model maker for almost 20 years we were surprised that Mitutoyo micrometers were listed as suitable substitutes for Browne and Sharpe or Starrett products if you were willing to except products not made in the USA.

GSA does a far better job than most people think. Want to blame someone for the high price of the mount?? Blame Shure.

And FYI;
The Shure SM57 VIP Dual Microphone Kit is sold by Shure Parts and Service: call 800-516-2525.   The U.S. retail price as of February 1, 2008: $800. All parts can be purchased separately.

The SM57 VIP Kit consists of:

1 - Custom dual shock mount  ($225 if purchased separately)
1 - A26M vertical dual mount
2 - SM57 mics
2 - mic cables with XLR connectors
2 - A26X extension tubes
2 - A2WS windscreens
2 - A81WS windscreens
1 - A13HDB black flange

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:30:29 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

paul bell

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »

The set I've owned for about a decade looked pretty good with Buba standing behind them!

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
57 VIP Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »

Forgive my ignorance but I've never dual mic'ed a podium before. What do you do with the signals at the desk? Do you run them both at the same volume? Do you pan them at all? Does if just make it better when they move their head a lot?

ProSoundWeb Community

57 VIP Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.