ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: need about 40' single phase feeder cable  (Read 7979 times)

Gus Housen

Re: need about 40' single phase feeder cable
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

With the cost of shipping check with a local elecrical supply house.
You rock...We roll!

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »

Hi Joe-

David Little mentioned J Custom, who I also recommend.  Gus mentions shipping, which will be a factor.  #2 SC weighs about 300#/1000'.  E1016 cams weigh about 1# each.

You might be able to find a local source in the Bay Area and save some freight.

As for welding cable, the answer is a resounding "no".  It looks all big and butch, but it's pretty thin-skinned.  Do a Goggle search to see how the jackets are made, and of what materials.  At our local convention center, the stage electricians are not allowed to tap power if the tails or any of the feeder use welding cable or is otherwise non-compliant.

2005 NEC {520.53 portable switchboards, construction and feeders} 520.53(H)(1) refers to "extra-hard usage cords or cables."  Type-approved constructions are listed in footnote #4 of Table 400.4 "4. Types G, G-GC, S, SC, SCE, SCT, SE, SEO, SEOO, SO, SOO, ST, STO, STOO, PPE, and W shall be permitted for use on theater stages,..."  That list isn't conclusive, as there are a couple other types in Table 400.4 that are "extra-hard usage" but not commonly found in single conductor constructions.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Joe Montes

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »

is 2 AWG cable the same as #2 cable? I'm a little confused...

Todd Black

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 05:29:03 PM »

Joe Montes wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 16:26

is 2 AWG cable the same as #2 cable? I'm a little confused...

yes. 2 awg is same as #2.

Rob Spence

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »

Joe Montes wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 13:39

thanks alot for all the very helpfull info guys, yes I prob should have made it a little more clear. I do need the four single feeds (red,black,white,green) bare wire at one end and female cam-lok at the other end approx 40' feet of it.

thanks

Ok, I don't know much about cams (other than the ones in my motorcycles) but I seem to remember that the neutral and ground often use the opposite sex connectors from the hot leads?
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Todd Black

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 06:00:21 PM »

Rob Spence wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 16:55

thanks alot for all the very helpfull info guys, yes I prob should have made it a little more clear. I do need the four single feeds (red,black,white,green) bare wire at one end and female cam-lok at the other end approx 40' feet of it.

thanks

Ok, I don't know much about cams (other than the ones in my motorcycles) but I seem to remember that the neutral and ground often use the opposite sex connectors from the hot leads?

There was a time where alot of people were using the opposite sex connectors for neutral and ground, but now days seems like everyone is doing it normally. Since single pole connectors may only be connected by a qualified individual, the issue of misconnecting shouldnt exist.

Rob Spence

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »

Todd Black wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 18:00

Rob Spence wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 16:55

thanks

There was a time where alot of people were using the opposite sex connectors for neutral and ground, but now days seems like everyone is doing it normally. Since single pole connectors may only be connected by a qualified individual, the issue of misconnecting shouldnt exist.

Ok, thanks.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Brian Adams

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »

Joe Montes wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 12:39

I do need the four single feeds (red,black,white,green) bare wire at one end and female cam-lok at the other end approx 40' feet of it.

I'm under the impression that bare wire tails aren't supposed to be more than 10' long, in which case you'd need 10' bare wire to female cams, and 30-40' with cams on both ends.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
B.

Todd Black

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »

Brian Adams wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 18:11

I do need the four single feeds (red,black,white,green) bare wire at one end and female cam-lok at the other end approx 40' feet of it.

I'm under the impression that bare wire tails aren't supposed to be more than 10' long, in which case you'd need 10' bare wire to female cams, and 30-40' with cams on both ends.

I just looked through code and cant seem to find it, hopefully someone else can if it exists. I do agree that best practice would be to have tails then male to female cables.

Maybe the 10 foot rule you are thinking of is for tap conductors (being permitted to have 10 feet of 100 amp cable between a 400 amp buss and a 100 amp disconnect with overcurrent protection for example)?

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »

Todd Black wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 18:41

Brian Adams wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 18:11

I just looked through code and cant seem to find it, hopefully someone else can if it exists. I do agree that best practice would be to have tails then male to female cables.

Maybe the 10 foot rule you are thinking of is for tap conductors (being permitted to have 10 feet of 100 amp cable between a 400 amp buss and a 100 amp disconnect with overcurrent protection for example)?

As per Article 520.53 (H)(3) and (4).

For those playing along at home, 520.53 is where the real action is!  Tons and fun and excitement!!  Really!

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.