ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Things Never Change  (Read 20364 times)

Charlie Zureki

Re: Some Things Never Change
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 28 August 2009 16:17

I inserted these into the signal chain:

index.php/fa/24695/0/

Nice ear "pads"! Very Happy

Cheers,
Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »

David Morison wrote on Fri, 28 August 2009 16:18

Is it sad that I guessed they would be DJ channels before I even saw the labelling?  Rolling Eyes

David.

Hello David,

Your experience in the world of Professional Sound Reinforcement is with out question!  Very Happy

Cheers,
Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Dave Bigelow

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

Nathan Short wrote on Fri, 28 August 2009 13:48

What a bandwidth shame.  There are so many ways to make even a douche bag DJ sound good. Without just limiting the piss out of it.

Appears to me that the gain is all the way down. How ya gonna fix that without unplugging the DJ to throw an inline -20dB pad in there?

Tom Reid

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 28 August 2009 16:17

I inserted these into the signal chain:

index.php/fa/24695/0/

Hey!

Those are the same plugs that came with my Glock.
...which is the best solution for this problem.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Mike Pyle

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 28 August 2009 11:45

I dialed in the attack and release until it didn't suck too much, but this was a corporate event and he had no business breaking 100 dB on the floor.

Was that the opinion of the client, or your own personal judgement?

Let's assume that he was hired by someone that likes what he does. It seems that with the trim turned down, and all dynamics squashed, you have pretty much sabotaged his performance.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »

Mike Pyle wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 12:43

Let's assume that he was hired by someone that likes what he does. It seems that with the trim turned down, and all dynamics squashed, you have pretty much sabotaged his performance.

Another question to pose. If he wouldn't have done this and the speaker system failed, would he also have sabotaged his performance?

It it was part of his performance I would have assumed he would have walked up and said "Hey i'm going to send you a clipping signal, it is part of my performance, please do not try and alter the signal"

Did he let said person know?
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Jason Dermer

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »

This was my gig, and yes, the client was not happy with the volume of the DJ.  He worked from a laptop/Serato/sampler setup, and the levels varied wildly not only from track to track but within each section as he mixed everything together. There was no choice but to run it relatively hot and squash it to keep it within reason so we didn't hear grief about the quieter sections as well.

Not to mention that fact that he had his own monitors run from his mixer, and the high end there was pegged negating half of what we tried to accomplish. Unfortunately, we were the ones that had to deal with the client, they were not willing to make any comment, or authorize us to, as the DJ was at one time a very big name.

The whole story may have been different if we had the 1500 expected and not the 90 that showed up. Smile
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Mike Pyle

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 10:59

Mike Pyle wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 12:43

Another question to pose. If he wouldn't have done this and the speaker system failed, would he also have sabotaged his performance?

It it was part of his performance I would have assumed he would have walked up and said "Hey i'm going to send you a clipping signal, it is part of my performance, please do not try and alter the signal"

Did he let said person know?

Jason answered below the question I posed.

What you are stating is an assumption that the DJ would have delivered a clipped signal even if there were ample headroom for him to hear the levels he wanted. Think about it.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Rick Stansby

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »

Mike Pyle wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 12:57

What you are stating is an assumption that the DJ would have delivered a clipped signal even if there were ample headroom for him to hear the levels he wanted. Think about it.

I have never met a DJ who won't turn it up to 11.  If I give him a good gain level so that he can keep his mixer out of clip he will turn it up until there is no other knob to turn up.  Using a heavy limiter is the only way to allow him to use the mixer sensibly, while protecting the rig if he won't.

Of course he probably thinks there is something wrong because it doesn't get really loud no matter how much he turns it up.  The DJ might never think of turning down to improve the sound quality.

He will probably go home and complain on ProDJWeb that the sound guy won't give him enough gain, so he has to crank his mixer into the red to get a decent level Smile
Rick

waldo [Casey Williams]

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 04:24:48 PM »

Dave Bigelow wrote

Appears to me that the gain is all the way down. How ya gonna fix that without unplugging the DJ to throw an inline -20dB pad in there?

Pan to mono, mute 1 channel, bring other channel up a tad...insert pad on muted channel. Repeat for other channel.

Jason Dermer wrote

Not to mention that fact that he had his own monitors run from his mixer...

When possible, send his 'booth out' to you first, and give him a monitor mix from that.

Now I'm going to say something very shocking about the mic bleed. I have actually trained a handful of DJs to use a switched mic!! Despite being drunk, deaf and megalomaniacal, they get it right about 80% of the time. It's arguably my highest achievement in this lifetime.

waldo
___waldo___
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.