ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Things Never Change  (Read 20350 times)

Mike Pyle

Re: Some Things Never Change
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »

From what Jason states below, nobody said anything to the DJ. If he was trying to achieve louder spl while being limited downstream without his knowledg, then obviously his mixer is eventually  going to peg your input meter.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 16:15

I have never met a DJ who won't turn it up to 11.

I know three. I have one of them today for another corporate. He maintains his own level, knows that he's not the main attraction, and plays clever, danceable tracks that people can still socialize over. Congrats on making the short list, Jameson (I don't even know his "DJ Name").

The opener's FOH, unfortunately, has no sense of control.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Jason Dermer

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »

waldo    [Casey Williams

wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 16:24]

When possible, send his 'booth out' to you first, and give him a monitor mix from that.

waldo

His mixer and accoutrements. His monitors from the same. No chance from our side.

My standard DJ setup is a DS201 or similar set to duck the signal 10db when it goes over a preset level. Far more effective than compression or limiting, the DJ HEARS it. Even that does not help if they have their own monitor feed. Unfortunately, the Vi6 does not have a downward expander/ ducker that we have found, and I did not have any external outboard with me. The DJ was the normal "Oh, we also have a DJ" that happens on these type of events.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Nathan Short

• http://www.myspace.com/nathanshort
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »

This thread is really funny.  Why does no one know how to deal with a DJ?  "Heavy limiting is the only way... bla bla bla"  

Like any show.  Proper communication.  Take 2 Minutes and run proper gain structure. Take your ipod or cd and plug it into his mixer, crank it up, set your levels with cans.  Not hard.  ALWAYS take his booth monitor and refeed it to him on an aux.  Proper communication.  Remove as many ways as he can fu*k you from the equation.  Learn about some DJ mixers and which mixers distort, which ones dont as much, which outputs from which mixers sound the best.  Just like learning anything else.

Maybe I should write a LSI article on this....

Metal show, Rap show, Rock show, Dumb ass DJ. All the same.  Bluegrass and Symphony is still the most fun.  But DJ shows usually have all the good eye candy...
AIS Chicago--System Designer

Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/NATHANSHORT
WWW.Facebook.com/NathanShort

Jason Dermer

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »

He has perfect control- over the Iphone that he has texting with for the entire set.

Much better now, great job Otto.

The DJs name is Prestige.

Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Jason Dermer

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »

Nathan Short wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 20:21

This thread is really funny.  Why does no one know how to deal with a DJ?  "Heavy limiting is the only way... bla bla bla"  

Like any show.  Proper communication.  Take 2 Minutes and run proper gain structure.

Doesn't help when he/ she is all over. But I guess we're only able to run it up to zero for the band on 47 channels that checked before and played after. 2 channels was just overwhelming.

Take your ipod or cd and plug it into his mixer, crank it up, set your levels with cans.  Not hard.  ALWAYS take his booth monitor and refeed it to him on an aux.  

After which I'll bring my guitar to each show to play for awhile through the lead player's rig in order set him straight, right? And I'm sure he will be just fine running his signal to me BEFORE it hits his amp.

Remove as many ways as he can fu*k you from the equation.  Learn about some DJ mixers and which mixers distort, which ones dont as much, which outputs from which mixers sound the best.  Just like learning anything else.

Maybe I should write a LSI article on this....

Am I a babysitter or audio engineer? CYA is the norm in every situation, but PROFESSIONALISM on both ends of the wire should be expected when you are well above the lounge level. This DJ was paid $7500.00 for an hour set, he was no weekend warrior.

Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com

Nathan Short

• http://www.myspace.com/nathanshort
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »

Audio engineers often times become babysitters.  This is life.  Sometimes you have pro's, sometimes you are teaching gig school to the newbies.  

FYI next time show the DJ the Auto Gain function in Serato,  almost every DJ program has this and auto sets a "0" level by analyzing the track or reading the ID3 tag.  

This would have saved you much headache.

The Guitar comment is just silly.  Any DJ will accept you telling him you are gonna set it to be as loud as the mixer will go.  

If any Labsters want to come see some of my own personal theories on large scale DJ events, I have a very large event at the aragon ballroom here in Chicago on OCT 9th.  Armin Van Buren, Probably 8 a side of Kudo and a pile of Martin WSX.  

PM me if interested.  Gonna be doing some interesting things at FOH with a Midas XL250 and a Manley Massive Passive.
AIS Chicago--System Designer

Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/NATHANSHORT
WWW.Facebook.com/NathanShort

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 02:50:32 AM »

Jason Dermer wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 03:31

...This DJ was paid $7500.00 for an hour set, he was no weekend warrior.

Huh ?
Please tell me that was a typo.
Confused
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Randy Pence

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 06:44:23 AM »

Ales Dravinec 'Alex' wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 08:50

Jason Dermer wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 03:31

...This DJ was paid $7500.00 for an hour set, he was no weekend warrior.

Huh ?
Please tell me that was a typo.
Confused

i dont believe that either, unless the booker was incredibly stupid.

djprestige.com - reading his bio, i cant seem to figure out when he was such a big name.  reading his schedule, i can't believe he has the pull to ask for even 750.

but both the client and the provider were pissed and yet nobody said anything?  If this was from last night, was he not the opener?  Since when does the opener get to walk all over veterans?

Jason Dermer

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 07:12:52 AM »

Prestige was the DJ for last night's event, he is a local guy and did just fine. The DJ from the night in question was from one of the most famous rap groups ever and was hired by a "promoter" that was not from this industry.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.