ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Active SM80  (Read 6670 times)

Robert Lunceford

Danley Active SM80
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:16:01 AM »

I would like to see a companion sub for the SM80 with built-in power amps.
One channel to power the sub and a second channel to power the SM80.
Put a pole mount socket in the sub.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Danley Active SM80
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »

I would like to see a companion sub for the SM80 with built-in power amps.
One channel to power the sub and a second channel to power the SM80.
Put a pole mount socket in the sub.
We are looking at that setup for the Th118.  The TH118 already has a pole cup option that comes with pole cups on 3 sides.  The amp "module" would have the crossover and the amps for both cabinets in it (mounted in the TH118)-so you just run a short NL4 to the SM80.

There is no place to put an amp in the SM80-as it is a small sealed cabinet.   But we are looking into a larger ported version that could house an amp if desired

All in due time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »

We are looking at that setup for the Th118.  The TH118 already has a pole cup option that comes with pole cups on 3 sides.  The amp "module" would have the crossover and the amps for both cabinets in it (mounted in the TH118)-so you just run a short NL4 to the SM80.

There is no place to put an amp in the SM80-as it is a small sealed cabinet.   But we are looking into a larger ported version that could house an amp if desired

All in due time.
!!! This is was I was waiting for.  I take it the larger enclosure and port tuning will allow the unit to go lower than the current +-3dB @ 140Hz rating.  Will this be at a huge cost to the current max SPL?

Also, for existing TH-118 owners, how does one get the pole cups options installed? 
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »

!!! This is was I was waiting for.  I take it the larger enclosure and port tuning will allow the unit to go lower than the current +-3dB @ 140Hz rating.  Will this be at a huge cost to the current max SPL?

Also, for existing TH-118 owners, how does one get the pole cups options installed?
The new cabinet (not to replace the SM80-just another model number), will have a response more like the SM80M (the floor monitor version)-so a bit more full range.

It will also be cut on one (or more) sides so that it could also be used as a floor wedge.

It will not go as low as the SM80M on paper.  This is due to how they are measured.  The SM80M is intended to be used as a floor wedge-so its intended usage is always against a boundary-so its measurement reflects that.

The new cabinet will be measured in half space-like our other full range cabinets.  But when you put it on the floor the low freq will be greater than on the spec sheet..

The tradeoff will be less control over the woofer in the 80-150Hz range.  But it is a strong woofer to begin with.

Regarding the TH118, we can give you the dimensions of where to put a pole cup.  You DO NOT want to just cutting a hole in the cabinet.  If you hit a brace the cabinet is ruined.  You will never get it sealed back up properly.

If you do it yourself typically the pole cup will not be recessed (like in the production models).  If you are good and have the tools you can recess it-but most people just bolt it in with the flange sitting outside the cabinet.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »

All in due time.
A follow-up question:
Would two "amp options" be offered?  In other words, to allow for a pair of "dual amp" TH118's to be configured with a pair of SM80's... AND additional "single amped" TH118's.
I ask only because I've seen so many mentions of two to three TH118's being the proper ratio to each SM80 (in specific instances).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 06:51:07 PM »

A follow-up question:
Would two "amp options" be offered?  In other words, to allow for a pair of "dual amp" TH118's to be configured with a pair of SM80's... AND additional "single amped" TH118's.
I ask only because I've seen so many mentions of two to three TH118's being the proper ratio to each SM80 (in specific instances).
The TH118 is currently offered powered or passive.  I am not sure if that is the question or not.

If we do the "satellite amp" option, it would be a different part number than the regular powered TH118.

I often say that if I was doing LOUD shows with a lot of Low freq I would want 2 or 3 TH118s per SM80 to keep up IF the SM80 was being pushed to max output.

Of course that does not mean you have to run 2-3 TH118s per SM80.  That would depend on how much low freq you need for a particular show.

Consider that a single TH118 is pretty much equal to 2 normal 2x18" front loaded subs.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »

All in due time.

I'd love either of these amplification options for the SM80/TH118.  Looking forward to more great stuff from y'all.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »

I'd love either of these amplification options for the SM80/TH118.  Looking forward to more great stuff from y'all.
Let's just say there is a lot of stuff "on the list" that will be some great tools for large and small systems.

It just takes time.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 06:15:17 AM »

Let's just say there is a lot of stuff "on the list" that will be some great tools for large and small systems.

It just takes time.
It seems to me that it makes more sense to have the speakers with separate amps installed.
Really, by the time you run signal and power to 2 or 3 "active" speakers, you could run NL8 from an amp rack.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »

It seems to me that it makes more sense to have the speakers with separate amps installed.
Really, by the time you run signal and power to 2 or 3 "active" speakers, you could run NL8 from an amp rack.

Bingo.  And when you scale up a rig, now you need to run more power to the stacks.  How many big, fat cables does one trade for other big, fat cables and then claim it is some how superior?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.