ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello, First Post  (Read 7100 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Hello, First Post
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 05:02:05 PM »

If I was hiring him, that line on the contract would be crossed out!

Steve.

... and then you don't get him, and then the whole act doesn't play, and then you're finding another act.... =-\
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

David Parker

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »

I'm on the other side of this. I have a neighbor that moved in a couple of years ago that likes to play his music loud outside. It has made my life miserable. It really makes me rethink all the times I've had the cops called on events where I was providing the sound system, many of them in church parking lots. Primarily it's the lowest frequencies that are causing the problem. Another "neighbor" I have not identified, but who lives farther away, and I'm guessing at least 300 yards from me, fires up his music late at night. I can't hear it outside at all, but I can hear the bass in my bedroom, making it hard to go to sleep. It's entirely possible that you could cut quite a bit of the lower frequencies without losing much sound quality.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »

I'm on the other side of this. I have a neighbor that moved in a couple of years ago that likes to play his music loud outside. It has made my life miserable. It really makes me rethink all the times I've had the cops called on events where I was providing the sound system, many of them in church parking lots. Primarily it's the lowest frequencies that are causing the problem. Another "neighbor" I have not identified, but who lives farther away, and I'm guessing at least 300 yards from me, fires up his music late at night. I can't hear it outside at all, but I can hear the bass in my bedroom, making it hard to go to sleep. It's entirely possible that you could cut quite a bit of the lower frequencies without losing much sound quality.
I played at a local venue for a number of years that had a outdoor "patio" stage that (when the wind was right) you could literally hear at least a mile away. It wasn't bothersome (at least for me, as I lived near it) as far as we knew.
One night we're playing, a cop walks in, park himself about 6 feet in front of the stage and starts taking [what turned out to be] SPL level readings..   
Since it was the last song of the set, I went up and asked him what he'd been doing.. Measuring SPL level he told me.. because neighbors had complained.  We were WELL UNDER the limits..  "Enjoy", he said and left!

Had we been over, we'd have been shut down and the venue fined ($250?) under the recently passed city "noise" ordinance.   Very few bands play there now.. it's mostly solo acoustic acts or the occasional classic country band.

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »

So, I guess what I really need to do is play around with the unit and figure out how I can best utilize it in my situation.
Exactly. I was about to recommend this.

Learning how to use EQ, Compression, ect. is not about memorization of presets, rather experience and understanding. One tried and true method is trial and error. Best of luck. Make sure to look at the study hall here on PSW if you get stuck.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 01:42:56 AM »

... and then you don't get him, and then the whole act doesn't play, and then you're finding another act...

That would work for me.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 01:42:56 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.