ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Single mix to multiple IEMs?  (Read 6975 times)

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Single mix to multiple IEMs?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »

I play in a band where each individual member manages their own mix on their own device and it's really simpler than you think. And once each person dials themselves in there isn't very much tweaking going on that I can see.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »

I play in a band where each individual member manages their own mix on their own device and it's really simpler than you think. And once each person dials themselves in there isn't very much tweaking going on that I can see.

Cool! What's your setup?

Now with 27% more mojo.

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »

Thinking Mackie DL might be the way to go - OK form factor, wireless support, decent tablet app and apparently there's a personal mix app (haven't seen it or played with it, though).

If I could have the form factor of the XR, the tablet app of the DL and the personal mixer app of the SL, I think I'd be heading towards a solution I could live with!

I can tell you from experience that the Mackie is the easiest, most intuitive iPad based software for live mixing. I will typically hand the musician with iem's an old iPod Touch with the MyFader app. It's an easy to use interface, and I lock them out of all other mixes. You do this with each member. If you own an iPhone or iPod Touch download the app and check it out. My iem customers love it!

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »

Thanks Steve Garris.

I'm really leaning towards the Mackie. The app has a lot to do with that. I hadn't thought of having a single mobile device to pass around for each to tweak the mix. I have a spare iPhone 5S sitting around - I'll have to see if the MyFader app runs on that version of iOS.

I tested out the multichannel headphone amp option this evening as well. Fired up the Samson unit that I have in my rack and now remember why I never use it - it's noisy as all get out! Might be fine in the heat of battle on stage but damn, is it every noisy at idle. Seems to meet my basic requirements - should be easy to teach the guys how to use two dials - not complicated to wire up or maintain. I'll test drive that option next rehearsal while I think about buying yet another digital board!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:51:24 PM by Fraser Moffatt »
Now with 27% more mojo.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 06:52:55 AM »

My band and several bands I provide for use individual mixes for IEMs with an XR18. When connecting to the mixer with the xAir app, they can select a single bus to access. This is their mix and it's all they can access. It works with Mixing Station as well.

It takes just a couple minutes to install the app and show someone how to use it. I have never had anyone complain about mixing their own in ears after I rough in a mix for them.

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 09:49:25 AM »

@ David Winners -

Can you tell me more about your setup? What kind of devices are your band members using (iOS or Android, phone or tablet)? Are they each using thier own?

Are they using the same XAIR app that I would use to mix the band or is there another app for the XR18 that I am not aware of?

Thanks!
Now with 27% more mojo.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 10:21:33 AM »

My band and several bands I provide for use individual mixes for IEMs with an XR18. When connecting to the mixer with the xAir app, they can select a single bus to access. This is their mix and it's all they can access. It works with Mixing Station as well.

It takes just a couple minutes to install the app and show someone how to use it. I have never had anyone complain about mixing their own in ears after I rough in a mix for them.

Similar process here using A & H QU PAC. Each mix is locked with no access to each others mix unless lock is off. No access possible to FOH from iem mix app.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »

@ David Winners -

Can you tell me more about your setup? What kind of devices are your band members using (iOS or Android, phone or tablet)? Are they each using thier own?

Are they using the same XAIR app that I would use to mix the band or is there another app for the XR18 that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

You can set the Xair app to only allow each tablets specific access.
Android tablets are stupid cheap. I have a $60 11" that runs Mixing Station fine.

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »

So, in the spirit of simplicity and sanity (and keeping costs in check), here's the solution that I'm going to implement and test drive with the lads in the next week or two:

- Dump my XR AIR 16 and go with a Mackie DL1608 (more inputs and outputs, better mixer app UI*, nice MyFader app, better interoperability with the other gear I plan to use)
- Run the AUX outs on the Mackie to a rackmounted multichannel headphone amp (supporting six individual mixes)
- Deploy a spare iPhone 5S with the myFader app as a "master monitor mix device" for everyone to pass around and manage thier own mixes. Those with iPhones can mix themselves if they so choose.
- ideally rack this all up and wire it up permanently so I'm not scrambling about when setting up the stage. Simply plug in the power cord and have each guy plug thier headphone extension cord into appropriate channel on the headphone amp.

Result - each guy will have a wired IEM signal that they can mix themselves (without having each guy bring and connect thier own device - Oh, the Horror!) - simpler plug and play approach; keep the moving parts to a minimum. 

At any point, anyone can upgrade to wireless if they so desire and can plug right into this setup and/or deploy thier own iPhone with the MyFader app to manage thier own mix. But none of that is mandatory. Once we're all wireless, we can bypass the headphone amp (but keep that option as backup!)

That gets me out of the wedge monitor supply and setup business, keeps me from setting my hair on fire managing everyone's monitor mix and allows for high level of autonomy/flexiblity in what IEM system anyone might choose to deploy.

*my guys are really technologically challenged; if I put that Behringer app in front of them, thier eyes would glaze over. I mean, my drummer doesn't even own a screwdriver!  Even the internet is a challenge for most of them. So, the dead simpler the better.  That's where the Presonus QMix app is the hands down winner. Thier mobile mixer app is pretty good, too. Too bad my experiences with wireless control of the SL16.4.2 is clunky at best and has been a complete gong show from a hardware point of view (system freezes, crashes, instability, unreliability).  I'm reticent to drop $2K+ for the AI version.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:47:16 AM by Fraser Moffatt »
Now with 27% more mojo.

Steve Garris

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »

Good plan. I suggest the Apple Airport Express for your router. Once a device has been connected, it can reconnect very easily on the device with just a quick button push. Your guys will love the simplicity.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.