ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single Channel or Bridged Mono  (Read 2157 times)

Robert Lunceford

Single Channel or Bridged Mono
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »

I have the choice of running a Danley SM80 from one channel of a QSC PLX3602 (775 watts at 8ohms) or bridge the amp (2500 watts at 8 ohms). The Speaker is rated at 400 continuous and 1600 peak.
Will the amp be more efficient in terms of power draw running a single channel or bridged?
I have plenty of head room running from a single amp channel.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Single Channel or Bridged Mono
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »

Run the speaker from one of the channels (do not bridge).  I would be more concerned about managing the power to the speaker than the efficiency of the amp.  This amp (among many others) are fairly efficient.

How is this speaker going to be used... DJ, vocals only, live sound?  Depending on how the speaker will be used can affect how much power you should send it.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »

How is this speaker going to be used... DJ, vocals only, live sound?  Depending on how the speaker will be used can affect how much power you should send it.

System is used for live bands.
Is there any long term problem with running the unused channel without a load?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »

System is used for live bands.
Is there any long term problem with running the unused channel without a load?

There is no problem with having an unused channel. You have it powered on but have no input for it to amplify and no load to draw current. No problem.

Think of it this way. What if you were playing some music through the two channels as in stereo and the recording has a major drum/bass thing going on in the left side while the rest of the ensemble, on the right side is sitting quiet. That's ok, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:54:20 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.