ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple way to split an xlr output signal 4-6 ways?  (Read 6730 times)

Goerge Thomas

Simple way to split an xlr output signal 4-6 ways?
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »

I have a curious question for you all.

For those of you who run more than one amp on subs (I run 4-6) What way do you use to provide signal to all 4-6 in the case of having only 1 single output for subs on the dsp? My amps do NOT provide loop through jacks. DSP out is XLR and amps are XLR in.

Cheapest (poor man) solution? Industry standard solution? Good enough solution?

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Simple way to split an xlr output signal 4-6 ways?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:02:12 PM »

For those of you who run more than one amp on subs (I run 4-6) What way do you use to provide signal to all 4-6 in the case of having only 1 single output for subs on the dsp? My amps do NOT provide loop through jacks. DSP out is XLR and amps are XLR in.

The easiest way would be to use a series of "y" splitters. 

What's the brand/model of amplifiers you are using? 

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »

The easiest way would be to use a series of "y" splitters. 

What's the brand/model of amplifiers you are using?

My question to that idea is what is the limit of just using y-splitters before it affects things? That is actually our current setup and it works great with 6. I am curious though with larger shows that utilize 10-20 amps all with the same signal. My amps are CS3000's. All 6 bridged for sub duty.

Primoz Vozelj

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »

From the manual:
"Only channel A’s input attenuator is active while in Bridge Mono mode. Both connectors are strapped together, so either connector can be used with a patch cable to drive the input of another amplifier."

You need cables with male XLR on both ends.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 05:29:13 PM »

If all you're doing is chaining amps together (assuming amps are close proximity to one other), there shouldn't be too much of a signal loss.  There's probably a limitation to the number of "outputs" you can load to a single cable, but I think that number may be pretty high (certainly more than what you are needing.) 

If there would be some loss (observable loss), it may be easily remedied by increasing the output of your DSP. 

Are you using the Peavey CS3000's?  If so, I believe those have the ability to send the signal out the "B" channel. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »

You could make a cable that takes the output of the DSP to the first amp-and then add a second cable to that MXLR and to to another MXLR and then to another and so forth.

As far as how many amps you can drive-"IT DEPENDS" on the output impedance of the DSP and the input impedance of the amps.

You will be fine as long as the load impedance is around 10 times larger than the output impedance of the DSP.

So if the output impedance is 150 ohms, then 10 times that would be 1500 ohms.

With a input impedance of say 10Kohm per amp, then you could hook up 6 amps with no problem.

You can hook up more than that, but the output level from the DSP would start to drop with more amps.

With a higher input impedance you can drive more amps.

Or you can use an active signal distro unit that takes a single input and then drives any number of outputs 4-16 being typical.

That can add noise-but is a solution.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Penkala

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »

Whirlwind Split 6
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/splitters/split-6-line-level-parallel-splitter

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:55:32 PM »

Whirlwind Split 6
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/splitters/split-6-line-level-parallel-splitter

These are always super handy to have around.  Last minute com split?  Done.   Press show up and you don't have a press box with you?  Done.

We keep a couple in each rig for just-in-case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »

The split6 is handy, but I would just build an xlr with multiple males on it. No need to make it complicated.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.