ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: My first ADRaudio speaker gig  (Read 56908 times)

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: Grampa's Excellent Adventure - ADRaudio Road Test
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »

...coupled 118s...

index.php/fa/10217/0/
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Langston Holland

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »

index.php/fa/10217/0/

Wow.

Your line array fell over. :)

That's a great way to get a long throw out of subs by directing more energy fore (and aft) while reducing output to the extreme sides where the top cabs aren't covering anyway.
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Soundscapes <><

Scott Waldy

• http://myweb.cableone.net/boisesound
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »

I arrived at the venue (Motocross/Mud Drag complex out in the desert) late Friday afternoon for an outside evening show.  It took about 2 hours to set up the new stage along with the two 16' lighting towers/ branchless christmas trees trimmed up and ready to go.

I started setting up the gear.  I stacked the two ATA118 subs on top of each other in the center of the stage.  I stacked them vs. placing them side by side because I did not want people using them as stairs.  Next, the two U103s went up on stands as high as I could get them.  FOH was a A&H Mixwiz 16:3, a dbx 1231 and the Behringer DCX2496.  For the first time I decided to run the subs-on-an-aux.  I set the low & high pass filters @ 100Hz / 12db BW slope.  Although the dbx Eq. was in line for the tops, it was flat.

Running some canned music through them, I was pleasantly surprised. I ran some rock (Aerosmith, Styx), country (Charlie Daniels, Garth Brooks), pop (Nelly Fertado, Black Eyed Peas) through the boxes.  All of it was clean, clear and crisp (is that the name of a cereal? -  Laughing ). Every thing was right there.  Highs are not harsh at all with a smooth transition down to the mids.  The subs were tight and actually kept up with the tops. I had some reservations because of being outside.

The Knights band arrived . They are a rock-a-billy group playing old Elvis, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison type music.  So, we didn't have to be "full on" concert levels.  

The monitors that were sent were the M1225s.  They were very easy to throw up a mix in.  Once again I did not touch the Eq that was inline (dbx 231).  I actually ran them full range.  I did not cut them off as I would have normally.  I wanted to see if they would add to any stage rumble.  They did not seem to. The musicians complained that they had nothing to complain about.  The monitors were great. They could hear everything that I placed into the mix.  The vocals were easy to get on top and stayed there.

I had nothing, I repeat... nothing but compliments on the sound. These speakers helped me sew up the contract for the remaining 2 possibly 3 shows for this year, with talk already about next year.  Very Happy  

I am very impressed, Ales & Bennett.  Thank you for allowing me to experience these little gems.

Sorry, no pics.  Dumbutt me forgot the camera.  Embarassed

I am planning on using them on the August 5th show too and will have pics then, promise.
Scott W.

"Relax, We'll fix it in the mix....

"I think it takes alot more "SKILLS" to be a Dj than a Sound man." - J. Gop, 2007

Boise Sound Services

Scott Waldy

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »

Ales Dravinec 'Alex' wrote on Fri, 20 July 2007 15:26

...coupled 118s...

Ales, are those the ATA118s?  How many total?

My guess.... 14.  Razz

Scott
Scott W.

"I think it takes alot more "SKILLS" to be a Dj than a Sound man." - J. Gop, 2007

Boise Sound Services

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2007, 10:33:52 PM »

Quote:

FOH was a A&H Mixwiz 16:3, a dbx 1231 and the Behringer DCX2496. For the first time I decided to run the subs-on-an-aux. I set the low & high pass filters @ 100Hz / 12db BW slope.

On the next gig try taking the DCX2496 out.  The subs and tops are already crossed, and have built in eq and limiting (all analog processing).  Run them into limiters and they still sound good.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Sun, 22 July 2007 22:33

On the next gig try taking the DCX2496 out.  The subs and tops are already crossed, and have built in eq and limiting (all analog processing).  Run them into limiters and they still sound good.

Aaron,

The subs and tops are only crossed for protection and to keep them from reproducing signal way out of their bandpass. Since the ATA118 will happily spit out noise will into the 160Hz range and the U103 will make lots of thump down below 65Hz or so, that's usually a bunch more overlap than people want in their systems, it can get a little muddy. I've done it in a pinch, but in general it's best to cross the subs and tops separately to make them play well as one system.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2007, 10:59:07 PM »

Ok, sorry, I thought they both had an internal crossover at around 90Hz.  In fact the website says that the cutoff is 90Hz 2nd order for the ATA118.  Scott was applying a 100Hz / 12db BW slope, which sounds useless for the sub if it already has a 90Hz filter.  Maybe I'm confused.  I never used the setup without the ASI23 (also known as the BPSP). Very Happy

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2007, 11:29:57 PM »

Second order's pretty shallow, there's definitely some "free bandwidth" there you may not want. Adding another set of filters got Scott something like 4th order reponse, maybe, but in any case it certainly cleaned up the cross point (especially getting the U103s crossed higher).

The ASI23 BPSP (heh) has a 70hz LPF on the sub for a similar reason, and requires just the one filter to make that particular combination of equipment play nice. We're also using those ATA118 subs with, for instance, our L103 line array a lot though, which isn't designed to run standalone and thus doesn't go very low (85Hz), so if we crossed the subs to always work with the U103 they wouldn't go high enough to work with the L103. This way you get to choose!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Waldy's Demo gig
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:41 AM »

Cool! Nice to hear you had a good show. Not surprising, actually. How many peeps showed up?

The thing I really like about the U103s is the LF and HF.  Very Happy   The HF is stunningly clean for a compression driver hooked to a horn. Probably some voodoo/science going on in the phase plug to get it so crisp. The LF is pleasingly present all the way through its range without getting sloppy and unloaded at the extremes. I'd have a hard time choosing Meyer UPJ or ADRaudio U103 if there were some rider concerns but if it was just me choosing I'd go with U103.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Scott Waldy

Re: Waldy's Demo gig
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2007, 12:16:46 AM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sun, 22 July 2007 22:11

Cool! Nice to hear you had a good show. Not surprising, actually. How many peeps showed up?

The thing I really like about the U103s is the LF and HF.  Very Happy   The HF is stunningly clean for a compression driver hooked to a horn. Probably some voodoo/science going on in the phase plug to get it so crisp. The LF is pleasingly present all the way through its range without getting sloppy and unloaded at the extremes. I'd have a hard time choosing Meyer UPJ or ADRaudio U103 if there were some rider concerns but if it was just me choosing I'd go with U103.

-Bink

The entire event? I'm guessing 2000+.  Listening to the band all at one time? 250+

I'll second that. Eloquently put, sir.
Scott W.

Boise Sound Services
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.