ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: My first ADRaudio speaker gig  (Read 56605 times)

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: My first ADRaudio speaker gig
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 08:22:50 AM »

Quote:

...shame you didn't have the EONA 618 at your disposal. To the 118, it's like comparing mini van to a semi truck...

Pascal's probably more interested in how the 618 compares to the Trip which he does have in inventory. If there's a turntablist at the event you typically want to keep excessive LF energy off the platters so the needles don't jump out of the groove. What has more LF directionality: two Trip12s or two ATA618Cs? It would be interesting to measure this, especially after David Lee's expressed concerns regarding subwoofer marketing and the words 'cardioid' and 'directional.' Real world data needed.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Wed, 21 February 2007 13:22

Pascal's probably more interested in how the 618 compares to the Trip which he does have in inventory. If there's a turntablist at the event you typically want to keep excessive LF energy off the platters so the needles don't jump out of the groove. What has more LF directionality: two Trip12s or two ATA618Cs?

I'm sure either cabinet would provide more than adaquate directionality. These days I use a fluid damping system on my turntables that suspends the tonearm in a bath of liquid silicone. I don't really have problems with needles skipping anymore. The big plus with directionality for me is being able to aim the sound away from problem spots, like angry neighbors or adjacent sound systems.

But if ADRaudio wants to send me some ATA618C's for demo, Love Parade SF is in late September. Nothing like a 60,000 person event for positive exposure, and there's plenty of great gear there to compare with.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »

Pascal, I imagine by September there will be enough gear on the west coast that we can work something out for you. I've got a few large festivals on this coast that month as well, but if you get me dates as we get closer I'll do my best to hook you up.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 03:46:21 PM »

Quote:

I'm in agreement with Bink though about how the tops and subs combine: there seemed to be a bit too much mid-bass, and the sub energy felt a bit boomy.

I've been using this system with the Bennett Prescott Signature Series ASI23.  As Bennett said the 70Hz filter on the ASI23 does make the tops the and subs combine better.  Actually they work very well together.  Most who have heard the system, did not realize there were subs until I pointed them out.  However they were well hidden.  The ASI23 also provides volume control (I ran the subs about 3db down from the tops), mutes, an invert for the subs (which also helped in my situation to align the subs better with the tops), separate input for the subs, link outs, and apparently some really nice line drivers.  I hooked up the system with and without the ASI23 and it does sound better with the ASI23.

I'll post some pictures tonight with a more in depth review of the rest of the system.

Mike Pyle

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 01:57:12 PM »

Bink will be bringing some of the ADRaudio rig over to my monthly swing dance in Oakland tonight. If anyone in the area wants to give these a listen, give me a call today and I'll put your name on the guest list. This is a DJ gig with a wide variety of musical genre in a fair sized historic dancehall. We plan to set the U103s up alongside some RCF ART322As I often use for comparison, and use the ADRaudio sub.

Address is the Lake Merritt Veteran's Hall at 200 Grand Avenue in Oakland, CA. That's the corner of Grand and Harrison. We'll have music playing from 6:30pm - 10:ish in the main ballroom, Sunday 2/25/2007.

My number is 707-315-6204. Call before 6:00pm if you can, otherwise I'll be occupied.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 02:15:54 PM »

Mike Pyle wrote on Sun, 25 February 2007 10:57

Bink will be bringing some of the ADRaudio rig over to my monthly swing dance in Oakland tonight. If anyone in the area wants to give these a listen, give me a call today and I'll put your name on the guest list. This is a DJ gig with a wide variety of musical genre in a fair sized historic dancehall. We plan to set the U103s up alongside some RCF ART322As I often use for comparison, and use the ADRaudio sub.

Address is the Lake Merritt Veteran's Hall at 200 Grand Avenue in Oakland, CA. That's the corner of Grand and Harrison. We'll have music playing from 6:30pm - 10:ish in the main ballroom, Sunday 2/25/2007.

My number is 707-315-6204. Call before 6:00pm if you can, otherwise I'll be occupied.

http://www.thegantelope.com/images/Bleyer-Charleston.jpg

Yeah, come on down. Wear your Swing shoes if you have 'em.  Cool

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

Mike Pyle's DJing: RCF 322a vs. ADRaudio U103
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:40 AM »

Hats off to Mike Pyle's skills (skilz?) as a DJ. The man reads the crowd like a hawk and selects the right song every time. He never puts it on autopilot so he can take a break. Nope! He doesn't get on the mic between songs to encourage the crowd; he lets his tunes do the talking. This crowd doesn't need further encouraging... they clearly enjoy both the familiar and the more unusual tunes Mike throws at them. In case you don't know what West Coast Swing is, it's not retro swing craze stuff. It's a wide mix of rock, pop and blues songs chosen especially for their stretchy rubberband swing feel. Lots of the latest songs were in the rotation. Very fun.

Thanks for the peek into your world, Mike!

On to ADRaudio speakers... Mike usually uses the venue's Yorkville NS200 for sub and brings his RCF322a speakers for tops. I heard him getting warmed up last month and he gets a fine sound of the RCFs. This time, Mike thought it would be interesting to set up four tripods instead of two so that we could alternate between RCF 322a and ADRaudio U103 to get a sense of the differences. Mike opted to use only the ADRaudio ATA118 subwoofer and gave the house's sub the night off. All the speakers were fed from Mike's JBL DSC260 so that we could use its front mutes to select which speakers were working.

It was clear to us that both speakers were suited for this gig. The RCFs had some added low end in the 100-160 range (just guessing, no RTA this time) and the U103s were quite linear. The U103s also had a little cleaner HF horn sound, where the RCFs had a bit of sizzle or something added. Mike used Ultimate stands with his own (hefty!) welded angle irons and I found it much easier to put the ADRaudio boxes up on the tripods. The RCFs handle is too high and only on one side. Also, the RCF xlr is very high up and tough for me to reach when on the pole.

When setting up we alternated between boxes so we could dial in a crossover setting and balance the apparent loudness. When the gig started, Mike chose to go with the U103s. Two or three times during the dance he/we changed to the RCFs for comparison and we heard the augmented bass porting of the 322a boxes. Out on the floor it was fun to get the clarity of the U103 but the 322a didn't disappoint the crowd: basically it was just Mike and I who could hear the higher quality in the U103.

My gig's about to start so my post ends here. More thoughts as they come!

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: Mike Pyle's DJing: RCF 322a vs. ADRaudio U103
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 01:57:36 PM »

Mike and Bink !

Thank you for your trust, when you decided to give U103's a 'stroll'.

After being almost 'beat to death' on DJ monitor duty,..., Pascal, thanks for your trust too,..., boxes needed to perform in more 'conservative' manner.

I wanted to point out, that U103s were designed for purposes like Mike's ball, where you do not need exactly 'roaring' power, but moderate levels with emphasis on sound quality. This is where built in amplifiers with high(er) peak capabilities count.

It is never easy to put a finger on one product's benefit or downside in performance...the path, that leads me to learn to analyze or even judge, is the one, that is appealing.

I truly hope, that you enjoyed the event.

Alex

P.s.: 'where' did you chose to LP the ATA118 ? 'subby' or 'bangy'?
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Mike Pyle

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »

Thanks for the dance review, Bink!

I pretty much agree with Bink's assessment of the tonal differences between the U103s and the RCF ART322A cabs. The RCF had a rounder bass characteristic and the high frequency sounded somewhat colored compared to the crispy clear top end of the ADRaudio cabs. One thing about the RCF cabs is that they have DSP eq "presets", which I generally leave at the nominal "flat" setting. I understand the ADRaudio cabs have analog processing built in, which from the sound of the cabinets is very well implemented. They are great sounding cabinets. We did not approach limiting at any point.

Bink, the RCF cabs do have 2 side handles. The carry bag only has a flap on one side though, so I understand your misperception. It should be noted that the stands used were the TS99B Ultimates, which along with my tilters made it high enough to have to stretch to place the cabs. With a standard TS90 stand or similar, either of these cabs would be very easy to handle.

The ATA118 kicked ass. Very nice, tight, deep response with no bonk or tubbiness. We crossed it at 91 Hz LR12. Early in the evening I was getting some stage resonance and used a 40 hz highpass, but as the place got more crowded I dropped that into the 30s. I did run it lower later on so we could hear some music with deep bass drops and it put a smile on our faces.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 04:35:23 PM »

Ales Dravinec 'Alex' wrote on Mon, 26 February 2007 10:57

... 'where' did you chose to LP the ATA118 ? 'subby' or 'bangy'?

Mike took my advice and tried 91Hz LR12 so that the sub reaching that high would ease the workload on the U103 a little bit. U103s were HPFed at 91Hz LR12. U103s were about 8 meters apart and the ATA118 was in the middle in front of the stage but closer to the dancers by about 2 meters. We delayed the U103s by 5ms plus the DSC260 latency of about 1.2ms. This is because a couple weeks ago I pumped impulses through both the U103 and the ATA118 and found that when their front grilles are lined up in the same plane, I needed about 11ms of delay on the U103 to make the impulse times line up in Smaart. Or it could have been my test setup.  Neutral

Whatever: when I have a sub that is physically far from my top boxes I don't get so particular about crossover timing.   Razz

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.