ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: OK this is going to get me in trouble  (Read 59586 times)

Randy Frierson

OK this is going to get me in trouble
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »

Me and my sister have been chatting about starting a Frierson Family support fund where we help deserving families who need help..strict qualifications but true help for people in need..Here's the RUB  How can a church afford to buy a XL8 for a front of house console when there are other WAY more affordable solutions..This really Gets me....they could of done alot of good with that money..God sounds just as good on a PM5D or digidesign venue or any of the under $100,000.00 consoles...I am not really understanding this..i saw the add on the opening page as i was opening this forum...3000 seat venue....they also could almost hand each member there own speaker..read the press release  this is outrageous to me..this isn't about midas or telex it's just about it's a church and with the money they spent there were alot of more affordable options that would have given superior performance....God's money wasted...I hope these people can sleep at night....I am going to write a letter to the church and explain how they are abusing there money and they should be ashamed...It's differnt if someone buys that console to make money then rent it and charge $3,000.00 a day for it but seriously this is just unbelievable to me. yes they deserve a nice world class system but a XL8 come on....maybe i'm wrong ....Randy

John Chiara

Re: OK this is going to get me in trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:20:05 PM »

Maybe they are trying to make up for the other churches with 20 year old speakers hung on the wall, a 50 watt power amp,and $100 lavalier mics.. Twisted Evil
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Joe Larsen

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:34:31 PM »

Didn't you know, that an XL8 can feed a whole African village for almost three years? It also accurately predicts powerball numbers.

I agree that an XL8 for a 3000 seat church is rediculous. There are a dozen of equally viable options at half the cost.

On the other hand, often times people or groups make donations to churches. It might sound absurd, but if my church was donated $500,000 or a million dollars for sound and lights by a rich member of the congregation, it would be a hard wad of money to spend without buying some very rediculous peices of equipment.

I agree though, that if its the option between an "XL8" or a "5D and a couple families fed for a year", or even one of Midas' lower end consoles and five or six families fed for a year, its no question.
Longwave Audiovisual Productions
Pittsbugh, PA
AV System Design, Installation, and Service
www.longwaveav.com

Randy Frierson

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:36:58 PM »

the more i sit here the madder i get..this has really struck a nerve..i'm actually going to go to this town and see this for myself...there are still people after katrina that are living like sub humans that need help...this is Gross to me...It looks like they just went and bought everything telex sells..If they wanted the very best of everything well they got the console..so why stop there..there are much better solutions than ev speakers, why not put meyer or nexo or lacoustics..should this bother me this much? i just don't get it..does Tom or Oprah go to this church? even if they paid cost for this console it still is over $200,000.00..being a sound guy i just can't see the need....maybe i should call 48 Hours or stone phillips maybe Geraldo...Bill O'reilly...why is this bothering me so much?  randy

Eric Deweese

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:40:36 PM »

I remember seeing that. Though the article is not fresh on my mind, were they not using the XL8 to run comm and video also?? I am not trying to justify whether it was right or not for them to purchase this piece of equipment over some other console. However, if they are using this as Telex/Midas intends... the price "might" help justify the purchase. I think the church should have access and the ability to use the best, as long as the amount spent on the house does NOT outweigh the percentage of funds that is being put into missions and other outreach programs.

Sincerely, Eric Deweese
Eric Deweese
Black Pearl Sound

"simmer down now!!!!!"

Randy Frierson

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »

A full blown digidesign venue loaded for bear and a complete pro tools recording suite w cd duplication and still had a fortune left over...i have to see this for myself..How much does this audio guy make? it looks as if he's captain kirk piloting the enterprise...ridiculous....

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 03:43:32 PM »

Randy,
Are you saying that churches don't deserve the same level of sophistication that a 3000 seat concert venue deserves? People are coming to hear an event; it's obvious that these guys aren't rookies at this.. if they've reached a 3000 attendance. While I tend to like to see commensurate levels of investment, the fact is a PA for a church that size will tend to run at least $300K.. even without the fabulous console.. and we didn't even touch lighting, video production, etc.
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Randy Frierson

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 03:49:34 PM »

am i stupid? what did telex and midas intend that others can't and don't do? yes they deserve the best but i don't care how much good they do this is money that could have been earmarked to do alot of good..any one could of done a world class install in that church and also had enough money left over to support a outreach program for years for what was put in there..as i said i may be way off base but it just seems wasteful....Randy

brook hovland

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 03:52:40 PM »

Randy,
Great points, churches are now entertainment centers. They generate huge amounts of cash, need not worry about taxes and often have large pools of free labor. Churches often produce more shows in a years time than many production rental houses. It is now HOWs (Houses of Worship) that are in many cases raising the bar on the entertainment business. They are also producing some very qualified technicians. Hopefully HOWs that are expanding and building utilize local vendors when possible therefore helping some of us that are in need Rolling Eyes .

I watched the Bennie Hinn production and was amazed at the amount of gear that BH Productions owns. But then I watched the donations roll in with prayer requests and it all made sense. (PM me and I will tell you what happened to the requests)
Like it or not religion and churches are providing services and entertainment to large audiences and are in competition with each other for the congregations just as promoters are competing for entertainment dollars.

BTW thank you for entising me into this boiling pot of topic! Shocked
DiAEvents.com

Randy Frierson

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 03:53:03 PM »

Come on..this isn't my first rodeo..Yes i am stating this is Ridiculous...Period..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 03:53:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.