ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey VSX26 Review  (Read 51388 times)

Robert Fielder

• http://www.coolcountrynights.com
Re: Peavey VSX26 Review
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »

Don Boomer wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 08:11

The "noise issue" is really a misunderstanding by most users that think they are having a problem.  The noise spec is -107 dB below full scale ... hardly noisey.

Don:

Thanks for the response, and the explanation. Much appreciated!

Don Boomer wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 08:11

As far as the VSX48 being different ... it is not.  VSX48's have not yet been released for general sale (although they can be had in a beta release ... check with your dealer)

That answers my question, and my confusion, as to why there are both reports on how the VSX works, and that it is not available. The reports did seem to contradict each other....
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
http://www.coolcountrynights.com

Mike Pyle

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »

Don Boomer wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 05:11

...if you use high gain amplifiers (ours included) you need to scale back the sensitivity probably about 15 dB or so.  Unfortunately we did not provide an adjustment on the unit itself so the correction must be made on the amplifier end od the line instead of the crossover output, which is the way more people are used to doing it.  

I'm not familiar with the VSX26. It sounds to me like you are saying there is no output gain control for each frequency band. Is that correct? Seems a bit risky for those folks who may have 1000 watt amp channels driving 100 watt horn drivers to walk away from an amp that is attenuated that much to match the bandpass gains.

edited to add quote.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Tom Reid

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »

Mike Pyle wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 19:17

Don Boomer wrote on Wed, 09 May 2007 05:11

...if you use high gain amplifiers (ours included) you need to scale back the sensitivity probably about 15 dB or so.  Unfortunately we did not provide an adjustment on the unit itself so the correction must be made on the amplifier end od the line instead of the crossover output, which is the way more people are used to doing it.  

I'm not familiar with the VSX26. It sounds to me like you are saying there is no output gain control for each frequency band. Is that correct? Seems a bit risky for those folks who may have 1000 watt amp channels driving 100 watt horn drivers to walk away from an amp that is attenuated that much to match the bandpass gains.

edited to add quote.

IMHO,

Anyone using 1000w amp on 100w horn, replacing or testing a DSP, and doesn't calculate gain stages, is deserving of the outcome.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2007, 04:13:17 PM »

I suspect the band-pass attenuation occurs in the digital domain rather than at the analog outputs.  You can reduce the band-pass output level, but not the accompanying noise that comes after the D/A conversion and output amp.

If I'm wrong, Don Boomer or Marty McCann will step in to correct me, I hope.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Mike Pyle

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 10 May 2007 13:13

I suspect the band-pass attenuation occurs in the digital domain rather than at the analog outputs.  You can reduce the band-pass output level, but not the accompanying noise that comes after the D/A conversion and output amp.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Yeah, I downloaded the manual and see that the signal levels are adjustable, so I suppose you are correct. So what do other mfgrs do differently? I have variety of other dsp and they are all just about dead silent with the amp gains all the way up.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2007, 12:18:25 AM »

First gig with the new VSX26 and it was trouble free. Can't wait to get all my stuff dialed in with it so I can have different limiter and gain settings for all my possible rig combinations. I like it so far!
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Don Boomer

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »

Mike Pyle wrote on Thu, 10 May 2007 17:59

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 10 May 2007 13:13

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Yeah, I downloaded the manual and see that the signal levels are adjustable, so I suppose you are correct. So what do other mfgrs do differently? I have variety of other dsp and they are all just about dead silent with the amp gains all the way up.

Tim ... yes, you are correct.

Mike ... The VSX is +24 dB full scale while some popular units are +14 dB.  If you plug that one straight in and then switch to a VSX 26 it will appear to have more noise.  But in fact it actually is a fraction of a decibel quieter.  The trouble with a +14 output is when you use it with a +24 mixer then you arre throwing away 10 dB of SN ratio in the board.

Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Updates Peavey VSX26 Review
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2008, 01:09:51 AM »

Old thread resurrection (But I remain 2 years behind the bleeding edge - so you may collectively endure the pain for me).

I received a single VSX26 unit today. Just for fun I decided to throw it into the breach "cold". (The gig is hardcore of the butt hat variety - so it's all kind of moot as far as risking "show quality" goes).

Currently evaluating as an upgrade for an 8X bi-amped monitor rig to replace an eclectic collection of analog crossovers.

Initial observations are:

Not noisy - (my amps are not wide open.) I listened for a while before doors with no other folks in the room.

The GUI does not work online! It's 2 years into this thing.  (What's up with that?) USB stick works fine if you catch the specific, named sub-folder instructions.

I ended up making a profile in the PC software - and saved it to a memory stick.

Front panel is well thought out - decent and readable. Very quick to set 2 way crossover to a workable point with known spec. (but I elected to run with the mem stick config).

There seems to be an anomaly in the Configuration menu (different setup conventions between the PC software and the unit's interface - specifically in the way an input to output matrix is displayed).

Unit seems to work correctly when loaded off of the USB stick.

I am only using it for Xover and (will use) output PEQ and maybe output delay for the 2 respective monitor channels, when I get a chance to dive in and measure.

Initial reactions are good for the price. No power switch (OK - but drives me nuts). GUI from PC does not work. I can't see the unit - it's in the monitor amp racks - so no idea if the the signal lights work).

If they get this GUI to work I may just go with these. It's not Ulinger, less Geld than other comparable choices. "Autograph" feature looks interesting - but have not tried it yet.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Steve Hurt

Re: Updates Peavey VSX26 Review
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2008, 10:08:46 AM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Sat, 29 March 2008 01:09

If they get this GUI to work I may just go with these.

I'd buy a VSX48 in a heartbeat if the GUI worked.

Oh well!

<edit sp>

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
Re: Updates Peavey VSX26 Review
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »

Hello Tony-
The last word I heard straight from Peavey is that the GUI will not ever work.  The company that they bought their processors from promised way more than they could deliver, and there simply isn't enough horsepower to pull everything off that they had hoped.  They have some R&D going on, and some possible AA products that may make it to the Peavey side, but for now, no GUI controlled processors.  I was bummed when I first heard this news as well.  

I've used the autograph feature, but then I do my best to replace the resultant graphic eq w/ parametric eq's, and test it with my ears.  You'll want your mic to be around 6-10 feet from the speaker.  The cool thing about Autograph is that it makes adjustments, and then listens to see if those adjustments actually changed anything.  If there is no change, it takes the unnecessary adjustment away.  This is info straight from Marty at Peavey.

Going to Smaart training next week, so I plan on upgrading my tools and methods.

The VSX 48 does not have graphic eq or Autograph, but rather 6 parametrics on each of the inputs.  

Thanks,
Grant
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.