ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey VSX26 Review  (Read 51178 times)

Justin Rygel

Re: Peavey VSX26 Review: question for Don Boomer
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 05:40:28 PM »

Don,

One thing that has been a little annoying with the VSX is that there is no visual representation of how hard my system is working from the VSX.  In other words, I'd like some way for the unit to tell me when the compressors (being used as limiters) are engaging.  Could the tri-color LEDs be toggled via software to turn yellow when the compressors engage, or are they hard-wired to the outputs?  This would be ideal, but I'd be okay with something screen-based as well . . . just to confirm that the limiters are working in the way I intended.

Thanks,
Justin Rygel
Federal Way, WA

Don Boomer

Re: Peavey VSX26 Review: question for Don Boomer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 08:33:42 PM »

That feature should be incorporated with the PC GUI goes to the "online" mode"
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Robert Fielder

• http://www.coolcountrynights.com
Re: Peavey VSX26 Review
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am comparing paper specs and user experiences between the VSX 26 and DCX2496.

Just noticed that the editor software for the VSX 26 is still listed as beta - it has never been released? The date on the software is 07/10/06.

Has the project been abandoned? That is far too long for something that even Behringer can deliver....
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
http://www.coolcountrynights.com

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »

Robert,
It has not been abandoned, apparently there were some significant delays, and they had hoped to release it sometime quite a while ago but have yet to finish it for whatever reason.  There are many users anxious to get this.  Hopefully Don Boomer will let us know how progress is coming on this.

BTW, the existing editor works fine, it just doesn't support "Live" mode.  It's a wonderful tool for making presets.

Cheers
Jeff

Robert Fielder

• http://www.coolcountrynights.com
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Tue, 17 April 2007 16:18

BTW, the existing editor works fine, it just doesn't support "Live" mode.  It's a wonderful tool for making presets.

Jeff:

Thanks for the update!

What is "Live" mode?

I don't have a Peavey, and have not looked at the software - currently researching the field to see what options exist for speaker management systems.

Did try a Behringer DCX2496 this past weekend, and was impressed with it - maybe because it worked OK, and the surprise is that Behringer can provide good stuff....then tried the software afterwards, and it worked OK. However, the software just set things on the unit, which was great - but nothing you could not do from the front panel. A lot more convenient, and far more than you can get with a DRPA.
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
http://www.coolcountrynights.com

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 04:10:39 PM »

Robert,
Live mode will give the user the ability to control all parameters of the VSX in REAL TIME from either a Mac or PC via a USB cable.  This means changes to Graphic EQ or Parametric eq, limiting, gains, routings, crossover types and slopes, delays, etc could all be done on the fly from a laptop at the gig.  You can download the interface from Peavey's website to see what the beta of this looks and feels like.  It's nicely laid out and makes configuration super-easy.  Currently all the changes you make can only be saved as a preset and then loaded into the VSX via a USB Memory stick.  When the Live mode update comes it will make this unnecessary, thus saving a lot of time and adding flexibility.

Cheers
Jeff

Kent Clasen

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »

Justin Rygel wrote on Wed, 07 June 2006 19:20

The unit did add a barely perceptible amount of noise to the total system.  When I say ‘barely perceptible’, I mean that it was difficult tell the difference over the building’s/existing system’s noise floor (I did the install at 11:00 pm and was the only one there), not audible at all during Sunday morning.  

The hiss from this unit is very audible IMO.  Perhaps not if your HVAC is noisy.  I have 2 units here, they both hiss.  This seems to be inherent.  I can mute the outputs and inputs, hiss is still there.  Unplug the unit from the amp, no hiss.  This is with the amp gains at 12 oclock. Unit at +4. This is with the default preset.  Noise is On output 1.

The other stranger noise problem is in 1 unit on config 1, with 1 2way xover, there is very low noise, low freq. intermittent sound, hard to describe, but some electronic sound produced with nothing plugged into it's input.  I switched cables, speakers, unplugged all inputs, still there.  Save preset come back, and it's gone.  Recall original preset comes back.  

I understand this is a budget unit, maybe it is ok for a club with high ambient noise, but not in churches etc. We already had one unit replaced that had a horrible buzz in it.
Kent Clasen
MSM Systems
Design & Installation

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »

Kent,
I have not noticed this issue with my VSX26 at all, I find the noise to be sufficiently low on all of the outputs, comparable to other processors such as DR260 which I would think should be more than sufficient for even a very quiet environment.  Maybe this is an early production glitch or a grounding issue?  I don't know if it could be firmware related, probably not, but I'm on the latest firmware and happy with the VSX26's performance in that regard.  Maybe try posting about this in the peavey forums and see if Marty or Don can offer some insight.
Cheers
Jeff

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 02:09:40 PM »

Quote:

The hiss from this unit is very audible IMO...

I understand that the VSX26 output is capable of +24 which is definitely higher than your amp needs in order to produce full power. It's 4dB higher than the DRPA specs, for instance, and about 10dB higher than typical DRPA usage. Instead of turning your amps up halfway and listening, try turning your amps all the way down to start. Then bring up a CD (or whatever) on your mixer so that it shows rockin' LEDs and pump that into the VSX so it shows happy levels coming in. Only THEN do you move back to the amps and bring them carefully up to expected show SPL plus a another notch for headroom. Shut the CD off and listen once more for hiss. I'm betting it will be lower and I'm betting your amp volume knobs will be lower than halfway.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »

I had noticed the hiss problem as well. the solution given by peavey was to turn down my amps.
that's all fine and dandy, but one of the reasons I use DSP boxes in my installs is so that I can leave the amps wide open and do my trim in the DSP (with a password) oops, VSX doesn't have that either. had to buy a security grille Sad

I compared the VSX26 side by side on the bench with a DEQ2496 and the difference in the noise floor at the output was significant. some settings had a small impact such as the input and output sensitivity, but no combination of settings on either unit would bring the pair to a point that I would consider equivalent.

Jason
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.