ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Cerwinvega Vs Labsub  (Read 39706 times)

Darin Bradfield

Cerwinvega Vs Labsub
« on: March 03, 2006, 10:21:52 PM »

Good day all. Tonight i played with a set of Cerwin Vega sl36's and i was amazed by how loud they play considering i was driving them off a 300 watt x2 qsc amp.

How good is the sl36 vs the labsub? any one have any idea. any feedback would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Cerwinvega Vs Labsub
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 12:31:51 AM »

Darin Bradfield wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 22:21

Good day all. Tonight i played with a set of Cerwin Vega sl36's and i was amazed by how loud they play considering i was driving them off a 300 watt x2 qsc amp.

How good is the sl36 vs the labsub? any one have any idea. any feedback would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

uh.... Thats like comparing a Geo metro and a Nascar racecar, the geo aint got no chance. The LAB's would blow the CV's away.

DJ grade vs. Pro.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 02:14:12 AM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 05:31

Darin Bradfield wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 22:21

uh.... Thats like comparing a Geo metro and a Nascar racecar, the geo aint got no chance. The LAB's would blow the CV's away.

DJ grade vs. Pro.

As a part-time DJ and full-time sound tech, I feel insulted by that comment  Twisted Evil  jk

Honestly though, DJ's are more in need of LAB-subs or similar than "pro's" usually are. Look at the sound systems used by many of the working LAB-sters in the Lounge. Most of those systems would blow every sub in the stack if they were exposed to an 8+ hour dance party.

Regarding Cerwin-Vegas, yes they are loud. Most car alarms are also loud. That doesn't mean I'd want to listen to one up close for very long. One of the problems with the CV design is that they are incapable of producing a wide range of frequencies. This is why they are refered to as "one-note" thumpers. Every bass sound that they reproduce sounds about the same. If you don't care what your bass sounds like, and you only want it to be LOUD and cheap, C-V subs are a great option. Otherwise I suggest you look to LAB subs, Bassmaxx, or Danley Sound Labs in your search for some loud subs.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Darin Bradfield

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 07:50:56 AM »

Well this chap is selling his CV's off... i was trying to make up my mind if i should buy the two of them or if i should build myself 4 labs instead..... (lots of work) vs (buy already made)

i have to admit that the bass wasn't the best, it was just nice how it penetrated the crowd, and the fact that it did that running off a realty small amp.

I am alittle concerned with the above post... don't you expect the labs to handle a 8 hour party? Most the gigs i play are actually longer than that... had a couple of 48 hour ones.

John Halliburton

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »

Pascal sayeth:

Honestly though, DJ's are more in need of LAB-subs or similar than "pro's" usually are. Look at the sound systems used by many of the working LAB-sters in the Lounge. Most of those systems would blow every sub in the stack if they were exposed to an 8+ hour dance party.

You forgot a smiley after this amusing statement...

Most DJs would kill to get a decent system from someone here using LAB Subs.  Most DJs I've seen over the years come to the table woefully lacking in decent equipment.  I've also seen more good gear blown up by DJs at the helm of the system than I'd care to recall-it's prevelant enough where it's a standing inside joke amongst sound engineers.

Pacal, If products are used correctly, they last, period.  I could blow up a LAB sub or a CV sl36 in a short amount of time, and I could make them last a long time.

In a head to head comparison however, there is no contest here, the LAB sub is a serious top shelf performer on a short list.  If the OP has the time and woodworking talents, he'll be very satisfied with his efforts.  So will the dancers.

Best regards,

John

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:52:11 PM »

Darin Bradfield wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 07:50

I am alittle concerned with the above post... don't you expect the labs to handle a 8 hour party? Most the gigs i play are actually longer than that... had a couple of 48 hour ones.

Just curious..how do they pay for an event that long?..personally anyting more than 4 hours gets painful.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

John Halliburton wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 15:16

Pascal sayeth:

You forgot a smiley after this amusing statement...

Sorry for the confusing post:

Note that I point out the LABsters in the Lounge, not here in the subwoofer forum. A recent thread there showed plenty of sound system pics from Lounge posters. Not a LABsub to be seen.

My point was not that DJ's are idiots, or that LAB sub owners can't do dance parties, or that LAB subs suck (I'm sure they don't) but that a system with inadaquate bass response will invariably end up getting blown up if used on a regular basis for electronic music dance parties, and most of the smaller LAB members sound systems (outside of the subwoofer forum of course) are focused toward doing live sound and not DJ events and thus don't have enough bass response to do decent-sized dance parties. Thus DJ's need "Pro-grade" subs even more than most pro engineers who run rigs for similar-sized live sound events.

What happens when there is not enough bass? The DJ tries to push it louder. Red lights? Whatever, just make it louder. Then limiters get pushed and gear starts to clip. Then speakers blow.

What happens when the bass is really thumping? The DJ doesn't feel the need to turn it up louder. The mixer levels tend to stay out of the red. The crowd goes wild, the mix stays clean, and the gear never gets pushed too hard.

Darin- Go with the LABsubs. More work now but you'll be much happier in the long run.

edited for clarity
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Darin Bradfield

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »

John Chiara

well i agree that anything over 4 hours gets to much. hence the reason we have quite a few dj's. last party we had 10 dj's doing 2 hour set's. pretty much ended up every one playing twice.

Randy Pence

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 01:06:59 PM »

How is over 4 hours too much?  How is it differnt than doing festivals?  Too much spl for the sound guy?  A well setup system allows you to not stick your head in the middle of the PA the entire time.  Mixing depends on the performer, so you can pop in the earplugs and just listen for things that sound way out of place.  The way out of place stuff is usually jsut a needle getting dirty or needing to be replaced or some amateur going crazy with the mixer.

go with the labs.  With good gear everything sounds better and you dont need to worry so much about guys blowing up your rig.  I disagree that the lounge systems wouldn't be up to the task, it just depends on the dancefloor and volume you are trying to provide.   I deal quite a bit with systems in lofts or other places where the neighbors are a bigger factor than the gear capabilities.  Most of the djs get a lil drunk and high and will always want more volume, but thats what driveracks are for.

John Chiara

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 02:01:35 PM »

Randy Pence wrote on Sun, 05 March 2006 13:06

How is over 4 hours too much?  How is it differnt than doing festivals?  what driveracks are for.

I was just curious how the sound company pay was for these kinds of gigs compared to a shorter show. I have never done a DJ gig so I had no reference.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.