ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you guys assign your faders?  (Read 1932 times)

Dan Anderson

• http://www.hb-productions-sd.com
how do you guys assign your faders?
« on: July 05, 2005, 08:47:19 PM »

I know this is the ultimate noob questions, but I couldn't find anything on any searches for this site or the web, so here it goes...

I have 16 channels of dimming for 16 fixtures, 8 in front and 8 in back. Is there a standard way LD's assign the faders? Yes, I know I can do them any way I like, but I'd like it to be more user friendly in the off-chance someone who knows better gets on my controller, plus be and seem more knowledgeable. I don't want to look like a (bigger) idiot.

Currently I have channels 1-8 running downstage right to left (as I see them from FOH), and then channels 9-16 for upstage right to left.

Dan Glass

Re: how do you guys assign your faders?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 08:34:15 AM »

The way you have it sounds good to me.  Since you have 16 fixtures for 16 channels then having them setup the way you do makes sense.  If you had more dimmers or fixtures than channels it would start to make a difference.  Every LD out there has there own way to run lights and program them and that can even vary depending on what type of lighting console we are using.  Even if you set the lights in a way that you think works best when a different LD sits at your board they may make changes.  Don't be so worried about how other LD's are doing lighting, take this time to develop your own style.  The more shows and events you do you will get a sense for how things can be done.

Hope that helped.
Dan Glass
Dan Glass

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 08:53:14 AM »

If the layout is 2 rows of 8, I would lay them out so the upstage right fader is 1 and upstage left is 8.  Same with the downstage stuff.  That way, the faders are assigned corresponding to the way one is typically seeing them.  

Tom Delay

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 09:41:36 AM »

It doesn't sound like your console is computerized. In that cse, what LDs create is called a magic sheet. A magic sheet lists channels according to focus areas on stage (i.e. upstage right or 2nd floor window). It makes programming much easier. In your case, it's best to lay them out according to focus rather than physical placement of the fixture, where the 1st fader in the 1st row corrosponds to a light that is hitting upstage left. this creates a situation where there's no hesitation when you need a light anywhere on stage.

Michael E.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

I always start upstage, stage right. There is some confusion here between house left and stage left. Doing it like I said, hitting fader one will bring up the light furthest to house left, just like it comes up on the console. Same way I number movers.
I'd rather be sailing

Brian Ship

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 08:21:47 PM »

One step beyond this would be a sketch showing reletive placement of fixtures with what channels they hook up to.  Than assuming a more rock & Roll geling, taking highlighter pens to draw lines from the lights in the direction of throw.

This way the guest wanting some blue from the upstage does not have to read, just look for the blue lines, and track fixtures providing it to their control channel.

Depending upon your terminalogy you can call this the magic sheet or color key and what banananazi recommended the magic sheet list or hook up list.

What ever you call it, it's the difference between something graphically laid out in drawing or sketch form, or in list form.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.