ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL MP212 vs MP412  (Read 3467 times)

[x]

JBL MP212 vs MP412
« on: December 05, 2004, 07:10:40 PM »

Ok, here's the story: The Christian organization of which I am a part is getting ready to purchase new PA speakers. I would personally like to see them get a set of Yorkville U15s, but their large cost (greater than $1000 per box) makes that unreasonable. We are trying to fill a 400-seat lecture hall on a college campus, and we use some old Peavey RBS-1 subwoofers, one per side and adequately powered. I tried to suggest some speaker models from other manufacturers, but the current sound people want something with a JBL badge on the front. I have tried to steer them away from the JRX and SoundFactor series, but they're stuck on the MPro series. They want to get some MP212 cabinets to be used one per side. I think they should get the MP412 instead, which is also a single-12" + 1" HF enclosure, but with an extra 100 watts of power handling and a larger woofer voice coil, as well as side handles on the cabinet. Our previous cabinets were Crate PS15-HP 15"+1"HF+Piezo enclosures from 1994. Does it make sense to try and get the better JBL  MP412 cabinets instead of the MP212 cabinets, even though we're on a tight budget and any new equipment at all will be a tough sell with the leadership?
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Tom Reid

Re: JBL MP212 vs MP412
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 08:42:35 PM »

I've been using both the 212 and the 412's for about a year now.

If you're using these for main P.A. duties, you want the 412's.

The 212 are fuzzy, the 412's are tough coated.
But, just because the 212's are fuzzy isn't the reason to use the 412's.

There's different drivers in both version, which account for the power handling.  If you're depending on the horn of the 412's to carry most of the high end for the room, it makes sense to have a better power handling ...a more rugged driver/horn combo.

I'm getting 412's for something like $530.00 each from a local mom and pop shop.  You may find a price drop in the near future as soon as folks start stocking the SRX 712.

BTW there's not much of a price difference between the 412 and the 415.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Dave Rickard

Re: JBL MP212 vs MP412
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 11:43:44 AM »

Consider giving the Yorkville E12's a listen, too.  Having auditioned many different boxes may give your recommendation morer weight with the leadership.  Or not.....

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=211&cat=2&t ype=29

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.