ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trusted Brands for XLR cable - cont  (Read 9638 times)

Fred Dorado

Trusted Brands for XLR cable - cont
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:07:14 AM »

Following up on this thread here, http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/63904/0/0/0/

I was thinking Proco lifelines, because I like the idea of no questions asked warranty, but price might be keeping me away

has anyone used cable from these guys?
 http://www.proaudiola.com/category-s/169.htm

They seem to be using the right cable and connectors based on the previous thread, I am wondering how build quality it. Price seems similar to ewi and they have a lifetime warranty for defects and workmanship. They are also somewhat local to me.

I have repaired a number of our cables, but my work isn't great and getting some handling noise on some so I am thinking of just buying all new cables so we don't have to weed out problems each week.

probably wouldn't be that big of an order, maybe 10-12 10ft cables and a couple of 3ft

Pete Bansen

Re: Trusted Brands for XLR cable - cont
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »

Those look like reasonable prices for cables made from quality cable and connectors.  They are using the older style Neutrik XLR connectors - the XX series is a little bit nicer - but they still have a very robust strain relief chuck and should provide excellent service.

Build quality is hard to assess without looking at one of their cables (or at a cable made by their least capable guy on his worst day).  I have been making my own for years, but after this discussion and the information I got from Silas, I may be hanging up my soldering iron and buying through him from now on - drop him a line and see what you think.

Pete Bansen

Fred Dorado

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »

Peter, thanks for the reply

Based on what I can see street prices on the CBI's are pretty comparable to EWI an others, unfortunately I know nothing about the different cable properties.

At this point it would seem that quality cable and Neutrik connectors are the right product, which many of these have.

I really like the idea of the lifetime warranty, but a known quality build would be more important.

While the CBI website doesn't say anything about warranty, they would be an option.

No offense to Silas, but I have been buying stuff from Mike Pyle, who is also a dealer and would like to stick with him

Pete Bansen

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »

Hi Fred -

The difference between the CBI cables that Silas handles and the EWI products that Audiopile sells is that the CBI cables are manufactured with brand name cable and connectors (similar to the Pro Audio LA cables that you linked).  The less costly EWI cables are built using their own cable and connectors, although they also sell cables made with Neutrik connectors.  I have a few of the inexpensive EWI cables and have found them to be both well made of good materials and quite durable - they are really quite a bargain.

I totally appreciate your loyalty to Mike - he's a great guy and has been very helpful and accommodating to me.  Mike may be able to become a dealer for the CBI cables if he's interested - I get the impression that Silas is offering to allow people to purchase through him because he does a fair amount of business with CBI and gets a good price.  I have no personal interest one way or the other.  I did pick up some of the Gepco X Band cable that John Halliburton talked about in the old forum thread to try it out and it looks really nice. 

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

Just for the record, I've been a CBI dealer for years, & do spec some of their products especially the MOX cables & MTPA cables (power/signal combo).

I usually spec Rapco for mic cables. Like many mfgrs, they will build cables to whatever standard of quality is specified. I've found that they deliver a quality product at a fair price.

As a aside, I saw a recent announcement that they were aquiring Proco.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »

Fred, if you're not in a hurry on these, maybe what you should do is buy a couple examples from some different manufacturers, and start using them on real gigs.  I don't suggest going with the cheapest thing you can find, but you've had a number of suggestions here by now.  Once you've actually used them, you'll find out if the fit and finish from genuine Neutrik connectors is worth it to you, and how easily the different kinds of cable coil up, or lie flat on the stage.

Maybe you'll get some failures too, and you can strike those off your list.  Your client doesn't care about the lifetime warranty you got with your cables when the one on the lead vocal fails in the middle of a song.  I once gave a salesman a chance on some economy cables, on the condition that he would replace them with a higher grade if they failed.  I had a 30% failure rate on the first gig.  He was true to his word, and replaced them with the company's quad line (although I still didn't care much for the Cannon XLB connectors).

Personally, I now roll my own with Neutrik X or XX-series connectors and Canare L-2T2S cable.  I probably could buy them cheaper already made, but I get a certain satisfaction from making them, and I don't have to replace many anyway, only the few that get lost.

GTD

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »

My vote is for Audiopile.net (EWI) or Orange Co. Speaker stuff. If you're into the hi-fi thing and want to go high end (which in lots of cases doesn't matter) Buy some Mogami and some good ends and make them yourself.
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Matt Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:43:44 AM »

I probably could buy them cheaper already made, but I get a certain satisfaction from making them, and I don't have to replace many anyway, only the few that get lost.

I would have to agree that most of the time is is cheaper to buy them premade, however knowing how they are soldered are worth the world. Assuming that one can solder well. I am a dealer for a few companies, and use Rapco for all my personal stage stuff. Great quality and decent prices.

Note that there is always better cable out there if you're willing to pay for it. However, price for quality isn't true, so don't think I'm saying that. See: Monster
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Matt Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:48:12 AM »

As a aside, I saw a recent announcement that they were aquiring Proco.

Mike, I think RHC acquired ProCo in the 4Q in 2010. It might have just recently been finalized, however.
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Fred Dorado

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

Thanks for the input

Geoff, no clients, just me. It is for our church and we are the end/only users. So as long as I am happy, we are good.

I think I am about to place an order with Mike, but a few questions.

For quality connection does it matter whether the Neutrik connectors are X or XX series?

Right now we are only using wall plates, so I think 10ft is best. I am going to add floor pockets in the near future, should I get shorter 6ft ones too? Our stage isn't that big. I already have very short ones for the Di's

and on the personal level

Any reason to prefer black over silver connectors?

I am looking at these with the Neutrik ends
http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-69-m4-microphone-cable.aspx

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.