ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping it dry  (Read 3295 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Keeping it dry
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »

So last weekend I did live sound for an outdoor wedding. (Yes, an outdoor wedding in October, in the Pacific Northwest. You might say it's playing with fire, but you'd be wrong -- it's too wet to make anything burn.) It poured rain.

I did the best I could to keep a cover over stuff (popup dining canopies); the equipment pretty much stayed dry. A few cable connectors got a good dousing from the rain showers. Rolling up, I wiped down the cables as well as I could.

Even taking precautions and avoiding direct rainwater intrusion, there's still the issue of cool temperatures (60 F) and high humidity (90+%).

Anyway, my question is how do you deal with situations like this? When you get everything back to the shop, do you give it special treatment to ward off corrosion? Is there something special I should be doing?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Noah Waldron

• Capsicum Pro Audio
Re: Keeping it dry
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »

Just open all the cases and let them air out for awhile without turning on your equipment. Maybe a day or two, depending on how bad it was. You'd be amazed at what can be aired out and still work.
Capsicum Pro Audio
Jackson Wyoming
http://www.capsicumpro.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »

I have had a couple rigs get really wet on shows out in Phoenix. We were out there about 4 years ago, had one of their 30min afternoon showers roll through, completely soaked everything. Back of the 12 box Kudo rig looked like a gutter type of rain.

We dried everything off as best as we good, and the show went on about 2 hrs later without a hitch.

Don't worry about it too much. Make sure all your electronics are covered up and out of the rain, and you will be fine. As far as cables and connections, we have always just let them dry out and never had an issue.

I also second making sure the road cases are dried and aired out. You will have left over condensation in the console roadcases and such. You don't want anything molding up or corroding from excess moisture.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 06:41:31 AM »

Just open all the cases and let them air out for awhile without turning on your equipment. Maybe a day or two, depending on how bad it was. You'd be amazed at what can be aired out and still work.

This is what we do.  Additionally, speaker covers go off and canopies get semi-erected inside to dry.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »

I had a very extreme water situation on a house boat.  Some electronics had gotten wet.
I opened all my cases and removed covers and stored them in my black trailer with 2 de humidifiers going. After a couple days and many buckets emptied. I opened up some of the cases to  my electronic gear at it was all bone dry .  hooked everything up and its all still working fine.

If it is only cables / non electronics, i would just let the stuff air out.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100391308&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100391308&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D24X-_-100391308&locStoreNum=2010

the above is another alternative

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »

If you have a room that you can heat, and move the air a bit you can probably speed up evaporation.
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.