ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help choosing software  (Read 2413 times)

Tim Morin

need help choosing software
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:52:46 AM »

I need help choosing a piece of software for a family member. He was a prominent folk musician in Canada and became paralyzed. He still loves creating music but can no longer play but he still wants to write the music. What computer program is the easiest for someone to create music while having almost no knowledge of computer software? So which software is the most user friendly?

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
Re: need help choosing software
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »

I need help choosing a piece of software for a family member. He was a prominent folk musician in Canada and became paralyzed. He still loves creating music but can no longer play but he still wants to write the music. What computer program is the easiest for someone to create music while having almost no knowledge of computer software? So which software is the most user friendly?

Here is what I have seen people use at one of my old jobs.  Not cheap, but aimed at the professional.
http://www.sibelius.com/home/index_flash.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:12:20 PM by Chris Davis »

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »

Sibelius is a very good notation software but is as mentioned, pricey. Its very much easier to use with a mouse than a trackpad for most people. It also needs a relatively quick computer as the sound libraries and software instruments on the newer versions can get power hungry especially on orchestral scores. The other popular software i've seen people using is Finale.

hope that helps!

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »

If you are on a MAC, check out Garage Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxqwpYWuZc

Regards,  John

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 03:49:05 AM »

First off understand than any software is going to come with a learning curve especially for someone no experience with DAW's.

I recommend Reaper. http://www.reaper.fm/

Its a phenomenal program and very capable for music production and recording. It has steered many users away from pro tools and other major DAW's. Its lightweight and easy on resources and very user friendly. Its also cheap, $60 and you can download the full featured demo for free.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 03:49:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.