ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Throw-n-go on an Si2?  (Read 2796 times)

Brad Galvin

Throw-n-go on an Si2?
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »

So it turns out I may have to walk up to a Si2 and mix monitors soon, and I have never touched one. Is it a fairly easy console to walk up to, or should I be worried? I am going to try and find one locally (if there are any... doubtful) and play with it, but does anyone have any tips that may help me out at all?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad Galvin

Freelance Audio Engineer & System Tech

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
Re: Throw-n-go on an Si2?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »

So it turns out I may have to walk up to a Si2 and mix monitors soon, and I have never touched one. Is it a fairly easy console to walk up to, or should I be worried? I am going to try and find one locally (if there are any... doubtful) and play with it, but does anyone have any tips that may help me out at all?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
FWIW, I have found the Si 2 pretty much straight forward in use. and certainly one of the easier digital boards to work with .....download the soft http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=155 and you will not only be able to prep your show but get a good idea of the console's workings......the color code scheme on the console is very intuitive as are the dynamics representation on each strip and the layout........

hope this helps

Ray

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »

I work with a Si2 regularly and I can't say that it is my favourite. Although I always feel like it sounds pretty good and the reverbs are really great it is maybe the slowest digital desk I ever used. While there are lots of knobs and LEDs on the surface I hardly get an overview of whats going on. Moreover there are lots of little issues...

So for monitors:
if you want the listen wedge on the master fader you have to take a cable to connect the monitor out back into an insert and then connect that insert to the master bus (be sure to turn off LR monitor!)

The offline software (it is really only offline) is broken in that you can't load a show created on the desk - preparing one to load into the desk works. Be sure to save the desk to your USB memory before you load your show - it is like M7 and LS9 in that there is no internal show memory. Once loaded the previous settings are gone.
(edit: with the new V4.2 just released this seems to work again)

only odd and even channels can be paired

if you're used to sends on faders and just switching between mixes: the solo does not follow, there is no "single solo" function so it is at least 3 buttons to press and wait for the faders to settle until you can go on.

if you named your channels and sometime need to check which number it is: the "info"-button and the patch window are crazy, they count in 3 blocks of 16 (the 3 hardware input slots) - so finding channel 22 in the middle of the show requires to calculate that it is the 6th input on slot B...

anyway, give it a try and have fun :-)

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:50:55 AM by Christian Güssmer »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.