ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tascam CD500B problems  (Read 8870 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Tascam CD500B problems
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »

I just bought six new Tascam CD500B CD players. I speced the CD-01U Pros, but they were discontinued while the bid was out and we had to accept the replacement model CD500B.

We are having problems right out of the box with these players, they don't seem to like playing CD-Rs. On every burned CD that I have tried they will usually not recognize that there is a CD inserted until you power off and the power back on the player. Other times they will not recognize a valid table of contents for the CD. This has happened on every burned CD that I've put in. Commercially produced CDs play as normal.

Anybody out there have this new model? Does this sound like something that could be fixed with a firmware update?

I haven't contacted Tascam yet, just trying to gauge whether it's a problem on our end, or symptomatic with this being a brand new model.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tom Duffy

• TASCAM
Re: Tascam CD500B problems
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »

I just bought six new Tascam CD500B CD players. I speced the CD-01U Pros, but they were discontinued while the bid was out and we had to accept the replacement model CD500B.

We are having problems right out of the box with these players, they don't seem to like playing CD-Rs. On every burned CD that I have tried they will usually not recognize that there is a CD inserted until you power off and the power back on the player. Other times they will not recognize a valid table of contents for the CD. This has happened on every burned CD that I've put in. Commercially produced CDs play as normal.

Anybody out there have this new model? Does this sound like something that could be fixed with a firmware update?

I haven't contacted Tascam yet, just trying to gauge whether it's a problem on our end, or symptomatic with this being a brand new model.

I suspect that it's a problem with the brand of CD-R you are using, and not the CD-500B.  We just did a quick test in the support department here at TASCAM, and had no problem playing back a bunch of randomly picked up CD-R discs.

If your CD-Rs are not finalized (have no TOC), that would prevent them from playing back as well.

Tom Duffy (TASCAM Engineer)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:01:54 PM »

I suspect that it's a problem with the brand of CD-R you are using, and not the CD-500B.  We just did a quick test in the support department here at TASCAM, and had no problem playing back a bunch of randomly picked up CD-R discs.

If your CD-Rs are not finalized (have no TOC), that would prevent them from playing back as well.

Tom Duffy (TASCAM Engineer)

I've used Maxell, Sony, TDK and Memorex, and have had problems with them all on both of the first two CD players that I have deployed. They have all been finalized and have played fine in the shitty ass Dennon CD players that we have been using. Some of these CDs are a couple years old and have not given us any problems in any of the other CD players we have. Even brand new burned CDs exhibited these problems.

If these players are going to be picky about brands of CDs, then I'm going to have to find another solution. We are a multi room publicly run multi purpose performing arts facility, and I don't have the time and resources to tell every client (over 500 per year) that they have to bring in a certain special kind of CD burned to red book standards. These people are lucky to be able to figure out how to burn a CD on their home computers with whatever CD burning software came on it from the factory.

FWIW, non of the CDs that I have tried were CDRWs. So they all had to be finalized somehow.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tom Duffy

• TASCAM
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »

Quote from: Justice C. Bigler

PM sent, this obviously needs more investigation.

Tom.

huib de Bruijn

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »

PM sent, this obviously needs more investigation.

Tom.

Hi Tom, I have the same problem here. CD not recognised, Switching ON/OFF the unit and the CD starts playing?? It happend ones with a non burnt cd as well.
Could it be a mechanical problem?
Is there any news on this issue? Thanks.

Huib de Bruijn
KHtec

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber