ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Whirlwind Medusa sub snakes getting stuck in Yamaha Tf and Tio inputs  (Read 386 times)

Kelly Mcguire

Perhaps the XLRm ends have gotten out of round or something. These things have seen hundreds of gigs. This is a relatively new issue on the Yamaha. I did notice all of the ends have a broken piece at the edge of the locking slot…the tiny aluminum piece is gone, creating just a long slot.

So, what ends to replace them with? The cord is very skinny with durable shrink stuff on it. I’m assuming I should heat shrink these things but is there an XLR end that will crimp around these thin cables as opposed to thicker XLR mic cable diameter?

My 8x4 50’ is semi permanently kinked too. Perhaps I should lay it out on the street this August when it’s 104 degrees outside  8)
Oh, that's what you were going for...

Scott Helmke

That's a known problem.  Neutrik shells with the latch bent and/or out of round getting stuck in things.  If the actual latch bit (as you describe) is missing then it shouldn't be able to lock at all.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF

Are they Neutrik connectors? If yes see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRLLAa9-Kf8

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto

If they're Neutrik, and you can figure out exactly what model the connector is, the metal shell is fairly easily replaceable. Just order a few of those connectors, and replace the shells. Not sure if you can buy the shells alone though. Connector is *probably* the NE8MX. If it says 'RJ45' on the shell, it's the NE8MX (-B for Black). If it says 'C6A' in the Logo, it's the NE8MX6 (-B).

Be careful taking it apart. If it's the NE8MX-1, it's kinda a PITA to put back together (same shell as the NE8MX, though).

Never used Whirlwind connectors though. I know they make their own XLR ends; looks like they use Neutrik for the Ethercons though. And based on the age, probably not C6A, so that makes it very likely it's the NE8MX. They're <$4 a connector.

Kelly Mcguire

Are they Neutrik connectors? If yes see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRLLAa9-Kf8

I watched that video and it worked perfectly. Thanks
Oh, that's what you were going for...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

Post a couple pictures.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio

Unless what you have are different that what I've seen the last number of years, either Neutrik or Whirlwind shells will work with your pinblocks.  Getting the right shell for the strain relief bushings you have is what to watch out for.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.