ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: For AES Associate and Full Members  (Read 857 times)

Dan Mortensen

For AES Associate and Full Members
« on: April 10, 2024, 02:34:18 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm the current Chair of the Pacific Northwest Section, and at the end of the term will have been Chair for 10 out of the last 28 years, 9 out of the last 20, and on the Committee for 32 out of the last 33 years as Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, or Committee member. I also celebrated last year (in a low-key fashion) 50 years as a sound company owner/operator, and have posted here and on its predecessor since I joined the Internet around 1995. And have enjoyed being part of this community ever since.

When the AES announced its slate of candidates for the next election, which starts in May, I noticed a rule that anyone can nominate themselves or be nominated for any office and get on the ballot if that's done by 100 Members or more.

I thought, "Shoot, 100 should be no problem," so I've done that, and for President.

Go big or go home, right?

As a result of the above experiences and others, I know some people and have asked them to nominate me. Many have, including names you'd recognize, but I'm realizing how many 100 is, and the detail is that the nominators can't be anybody, they have to be full voting Members (the capital "M" defines full voting members) of the AES, which EXCLUDES Associate and Student members but includes Life Members and maybe Fellows. Not sure if there are any Fellows who are not Members.

The sweet part is that Associates have a path to become Members, and while that path has been somewhat mysterious to many people of my acquaintance, this gives me an opportunity to tell you how to upgrade your membership if you are interested. There's no difference in dues, and anything you've paid toward a remaining Associate membership will apply to your remaining term as a new Member.*

The steps for nominating by Members are simple, and can be done in a few minutes.

The steps for Associates are a little more complicated, in that you first have to fill out a form for upgrade and do some explaining of your experience and provide some references. I'd be fine if you use my name as a reference, and my Member Number is 30576. I bet that Mac, who gave me permission to post this here, would also let you use him a  reference. You'll have to ask him, though, and for his member number. Maybe other people will post their names and member numbers, and you can pick and choose your references.

This is probably already long enough. I've put the upgrade and nomination steps in my nomination campaign document, which also has how to find your member grade and number.

That document is way too long, but I have a lot to say and different people will be interested in different parts. I felt all needed to be said.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you are moved to send the nomination email if you're qualified. Note that this doesn't obligate you to vote for me in the election, although I hope you will. There'll be no campaigning like this during the election per the rules, so you might not be hearing from me about this unless I don't get to the 100 mark, in which case it will be a learning experience for a lot of people who are watching this. Oh, and no one has ever been successful getting to 100 in the history of the AES, so that makes it interesting, too.

Thanks!

* I think I've learned that because of this write-in effort, they seem to have beefed up their approval process so that nominators can vote by the deadline, which is April 26th at 5pmEDT/2pmPDT/whatever your local time will be. Someone told me they were approved in 2 hours, another took overnight. So it can be quick. If you ever considered upgrading, now might be the time regardless of the nominating. That's in the link, too.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: For AES Associate and Full Members
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 03:44:32 PM »

I bet that Mac, who gave me permission to post this here, would also let you use him a  reference. You'll have to ask him, though, and for his member number.

Before I start getting messages, yes, use me as a reference if you dare. My member number is 72861.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 03:46:27 PM »

Sorry I cancelled my membership over a decade ago....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 05:04:20 PM »

Sorry,  I gave up my membership when they stopped having the NYC convention in the hotel  ::)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 12:35:39 PM »

Do they even check the references?

I think I just sent in a copy of my C.V. And they approved it. I guess I had some references on my C.V. But I don’t remember anyone telling me that they got a reference check.

Which reminds me, I need to renew my membership. I think I’ve let it lapse.   :-[
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 03:49:02 PM »

Do they even check the references?

I think I just sent in a copy of my C.V. And they approved it. I guess I had some references on my C.V. But I don’t remember anyone telling me that they got a reference check.

Which reminds me, I need to renew my membership. I think I’ve let it lapse.   :-[

I've been used as a reference on many applications, and have never been contacted about anyone.

You can check your status in the Member Portal. I guess the question would be, can you get through the Member Portal if your membership has lapsed?

Please tell us when you find out. There's a lot about the AES that's mysterious, hence (partially) this thread.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 04:11:07 PM »

Back several decades ago when I decided to join the IEEE to get access to some technical journals I asked Rudy Bozak for a personal reference. I didn't even have a college degree, but I had done some consulting electronic design work for Rudy, so he was glad to give me a reference.

I don't know if they ever checked, probably not. I expect they were mainly interested in collecting more dues revenue.

JR

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 05:23:45 PM »

Email sent. Good luck.

--Frank

AES 26606
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Dave Stevens

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 12:19:01 AM »

Sorry,  I gave up my membership when they stopped having the NYC convention in the hotel  ::)

Sorry I cancelled my membership over a decade ago....

LOL. You guys…

For everyone else, Dan’s the real deal.  Not only at the AES section up there, which is still my home section, but also founding member and Executive Director of Washington Association of Production Services back when the state was regulating all live shows with the same regs as carnys.  We got stuff done.

The olden days.  Good times.  What I can remember from them anyway…

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 12:04:37 PM »

LOL. You guys…

For everyone else, Dan’s the real deal.  Not only at the AES section up there, which is still my home section, but also founding member and Executive Director of Washington Association of Production Services back when the state was regulating all live shows with the same regs as carnys.  We got stuff done.

The olden days.  Good times.  What I can remember from them anyway…
yo...

always good to have a Dave Stevens sighting....

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 12:04:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.