ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bassboss cabinets  (Read 616 times)

dustin Bradley

Bassboss cabinets
« on: March 28, 2024, 10:55:47 PM »

I’ve done some searching but not much info online.  Has anyone actually used a Bassboss system?  I was looking at the AT212-MK3 and dual-18 subs system.  It seems it would be a good medium system, like the JBL SRXs.  It has a lot of good DJ accolades but not much live band experience.  Thoughts?  Any experiences with full bands and outdoor venues?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 05:59:48 AM by dustin Bradley »
~ dustin Bradley

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Bassboss cabinets
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 09:08:48 AM »

I’ve done some searching but not much info online.  Has anyone actually used a Bassboss system?  I was looking at the AT212-MK3 and dual-18 subs system.  It seems it would be a good medium system, like the JBL SRXs.  It has a lot of good DJ accolades but not much live band experience.  Thoughts?  Any experiences with full bands and outdoor venues?

My experience with then-BassMaxx was back in 2007, at Paul Bell's NYC sub shootout.  David Lee brought a couple of models and I was impressed, as were most of those in attendance.  I've not used any of the "top box" models and can't give a direct opinion, but if they're anything like David's subs, they will do what he claims.

If you're going to spend a bunch of money it may be worth the cost of a drive or plane ticket to personally audition a BassBoss rig.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 11:35:28 AM »

Give them a good listen first, yes.  By dual 18" I assume you mean the SSP218, not the ZV28. 

I've talked with David Lee a few times, he knows his stuff.  The products I've used personally years back were great! 

Doug Fowler and I talked about Bassboss last I saw him (RIP); he said the SSP218 subs are great, and perform as they claim.  He was a big fan of Bassboss, there are many of his posts floating around about this.  I asked him specifically about the SSP218 versus Danley subs; he said that was unfair, that any brand's front loaded subs, including the upper tier he was used to, weren't on par with a true horn loaded sub. 

While listening to the speakers/subs you're interested in, also listen to the ZV28, VS21, and especially the new Makara.  A plane ticket to California or wherever is money well spent; nothing beats hearing multiple speakers/subs in the same room.  The SPL versus cost of the Makara, and what looks like a similar design to Josh Ricci's SKRAM, put it squarely on any short list of "real" self-powered subwoofers.

From what I can tell, and some of the systems Bassboss has products in - their subs at least are a big step up from JBL.  If you want to AB their products versus other brand options, you'd want to compare them with L'Acoustics, d&b, and Meyer. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 01:52:20 PM »

From what I can tell, and some of the systems Bassboss has products in - their subs at least are a big step up from JBL.  If you want to AB their products versus other brand options, you'd want to compare them with L'Acoustics, d&b, and Meyer.

Take a look at JTRs offerings also.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 03:54:57 PM »

A customer in my area bought that system from me around 2016 and has done numerous shows with it indoors & out. He provides sound for many genres but a lot of loud rock and reggae bands. I scrolled back through email and found a short commentary from one of the reggae shows he used the Bassboss system for ........ "Impressed everyone. Club is 300 capacity. We were right before or into clip lights flicking, it just rode there naturally all night for 3 nights. Crystal clear, distortion free, eyeball rattling, great dispersion, small footprint."

Bassboss now has a very good national distribution channel, inventory in stock and ready to go. You might be able to arrange a demo if you contact them through the website or on Facebook.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 01:35:59 AM »

I've mixed on a Bassboss/maxx rig about twice a year the whole time I was touring. There's a particular venue that the provider runs this rig. It is the horn subs and the dual 10" line arrays. I was mixing Texas/Red Dirt Country.

I never had a great mix on them. Way too much subbage for the tops. This was probably down to system tuning though. I always felt that the rig could have been pretty good for live music, but it would take a bit of work.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:08:18 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 07:38:50 PM »

I've mixed on a Bassboss/maxx rig about twice a year the whole time I was touring. There's a particular venue that the provider runs this rig. It is the horn subs and the dual 10" line arrays. I was mixing Texas/Red Dirt Country.

I never had a great mix on them. Way too much subbage for the tops. This was probably down to system tuning though. I always felt that the rig could have[/] been pretty good for live music, but it would take a bit of work.

I wonder how much of the ugh factor was the tops, and configuration; those older horn subs were great!  I've never heard their line array tops, but the current one at least looks to be targeted for ground stack application for the aesthetic factor. 

My first introduction to Bassboss was their horn subs; we upgraded from a pile of EAW SB528 to a few B-One subs.  I'd love a newer B-Zero with modern drivers. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 07:38:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.