ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: L'Acoustics A10  (Read 1724 times)

Steve Ferreira

L'Acoustics A10
« on: March 28, 2024, 02:24:09 PM »

Hi all,

Has anyone here used L'Acoustics A10s? Looking at maybe having 4x A10 wide and 2x KS21s all powered with 2x LA4x amps. Not looking to fly anything at this point as 95% of my events are ground supported PAs. I have never used L'Acoustics before. I downloaded the Soundvision software and was completely lost. Much different compared to LAC and ArrayCalc.

What's the throw on these boxes like?
How do they sound?
Would a 1 over 1 or 2 over 1 be sufficient for a band gig and possible DJ. No EDM, hip hop.
The biggest room I provide sound for is 60' wide by 120' deep.
How's the accessories in setting these up etc..

Looking for Pros and cons of this rig.

TIA

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: L'Acoustics A10
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 04:39:55 PM »

I'm the "sound janitor" for a K3/KS28 rig.  One day I hope to make "audio plumber" status like Mac...

Yes, everything about l'Acoustics is opaque.  There is no official, complimentary-with-purchase training; it's pay to play.  It is only offered as instructor-led training AFAIK.  You might be able to glean a working knowledge of Soundvision from YooToob.  Might.  And you'll need it because everything starts with the file generated by Soundvision.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 07:26:40 PM »

you can have that rig on a single LA4x, no need for 2.
that said for a small rig like this you can better go for 1 A10 focus & 1 A10 wide per side, gives you more and (in my opinion) better options. get the proper stacking
read through the manual for rigging (and stacking!) options, then you have a bit more of a clue what to expect.
https://www.l-acoustics.com/documentation/LOUDSPEAKERS/A10%20Focus/EN/Owner's%20Manual/A10_OM_EN.pdf

if 120' means 120 feet (i'm from the metric side of the world), then 120' that's quite deep for a(ny) stacked setup

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 08:10:05 PM »

if 120' means 120 feet (i'm from the metric side of the world), then 120' that's quite deep for a(ny) stacked setup

Yeah, but it's only 36m.

Mac

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 08:35:57 PM »

Not looking to fly anything at this point as 95% of my events are ground supported PAs.

If ground stacked, why not a single, coherent, high output box rather than this?  I've used similar (WiFo), but only flown, and even then - was underwhelmed. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 01:23:16 AM »

Hi all,

Has anyone here used L'Acoustics A10s? Looking at maybe having 4x A10 wide and 2x KS21s all powered with 2x LA4x amps. Not looking to fly anything at this point as 95% of my events are ground supported PAs. I have never used L'Acoustics before. I downloaded the Soundvision software and was completely lost. Much different compared to LAC and ArrayCalc.

What's the throw on these boxes like?
How do they sound?
Would a 1 over 1 or 2 over 1 be sufficient for a band gig and possible DJ. No EDM, hip hop.
The biggest room I provide sound for is 60' wide by 120' deep.
How's the accessories in setting these up etc..

Looking for Pros and cons of this rig.

TIA

I run an A15/KS28 rig, but I have A10's for my delay fills.

I am not sure what type of SPL your are looking for, and what amount of front to back variance is acceptable for your gigs, but I don't think you are going to get 120 feet of coverage with them, especially ground-stacked - in my room my hang of 4x A15's are shooting about 70ft-100ft, and that seems about right.

As these boxes are constant curvature that minimizes some of your options vs a line array.

The boxes are L'Acoustics, so they sound nice, I cannot complain - while they might look somewhat similar to VRX they are different animals.

---

One other curiosity I have is I that have occasionally worked on a A10 rig where the boxes seem to overlap and get harsh between boxes; it was a nature of the array, as it is not splayable. I heard from the integrator who installed that rig that this was due the box not being the install version, and that the install version has an available bumper - but I have not been able to verify that one- in that particular system a point source would have been cheaper and sounded much more consistent both for SPL and frequency.

Granted the A10's in my delay fills don't have this problem though - so not sure why.

---

Bottom Line: They sound nice, but I would probably be looking at a different rig for this application.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Brad Harris

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 11:10:12 AM »

Head to YouTube, over Covid L-Acoustics (and many others) have uploaded many demos on how to use their software.

SoundVision has been the most accurate representation regarding what you get in real life these days from my experience.

Look at what you can use (A10) with the pole mount, it might not have enough options to use a Focus ontop of a Wide... I've only used single on a stick, or flown

Yes, the rig could mentioned will fit on a single LA4x, but you will miss out on some opportunities for some HF FIR finesse, and if you want to narrow down the HF pattern (it is a different preset)

A15's have some more horsepower, but I like the sound of the A10's better ...

Have you looked at a SYVA rig? Quite impressive, and many of our corporate clients love the look (and sound .. same components and box volume as a single K2) Stacked on a single SB18. Although, that rig would require 2 LA4x amplifiers to run.

Brad

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 10:45:28 PM »

I was in a rush to post that I left out some info. Yes the room is 120' deep but I already use delay speakers in that room. The back half of the room doesn't need the same volume as the front half of the room. It just needs a "fill" back there. The stage is 4' tall at this venue so I normally put the ground stacked PA on the stage. I get the sound system above peoples heads this way. When not in this room I stand the subs on their end with the tops on the subs. Right now I have SRX 725/728 with IT power.
A local company is making a big investment into L'acoustics right now, being able to rent speakers and amps shouldn't be a problem.
How would the A10 compare to say and SRX 910?

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 09:14:00 AM »

We have a dozen A10.  They are often used as fills but also as main PA on occasion.  Quantity depends on trim height of the array.  Soundvision is you friend.  Generally for a flat coverage area with no balconies, we don't do more than 3 per side unless we can get up over 15' trim height.  It gets louder but at the cost of consistency and we have A15 or Kara II if we need more SPL.

We have installed A10's in several venues.  Jimmy's in Portsmouth NH, Park Theatre in Jaffrey NH, Mahaiwe PAC in the Berkshires, Johnson Chapel Amherst College.  All of the clients have been very happy. 

Performance is better with KS21 less than 1M away from the A10. 

IF you put each box on its own amp channel, A focus over a wide will give you more consistent coverage than any 1 box can.  You also have panflex options, so there is a ton of flexibility.  I haven't experienced any harshness where they overlap. 

Someone mentioned Syva as an alternative.  We have that as well and I love it but it's very wide.  If that works for you, it's great.  We tend to go for Syva where the look is more important or we're on the long wall so we want the width and A10 or Fulcrum FA22 otherwise.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 11:58:12 AM »

Like I mentioned before, I won't be flying the rig and don't really have floor space at any of my events for array lifts. I haven't had time to watch any of the videos but I will look around and try Soundvision as well.

What I'm getting from you all is that the box sounds great but is limited to it's constant curvature and needs to be flown to really benefit from it. Maybe this rig isn't what I'm looking for. I will see if that company gets their boxes in soon and have a demo.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 11:58:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.