ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Split?  (Read 2590 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Analog Split?
« on: March 27, 2024, 08:36:15 PM »

I'm exploring getting an analog splitter for FOH / Monitor consoles.  I'm deep in the M32 ecosystem, and have commonly used two desks sharing the same DL32, and while it works well enough, the routing complexity and gain sharing aren't ideal. 

I'm seeing some cheap-looking 'seismic audio' options (common in traveling IEM rigs I see), and badass-but-spendy-looking whirlwind products, but not much in between.  Anyone know of something in the middle?

What's the prevailing wisdom on isolation transformers these days? Necessary, or no longer so?  The seismic ones clearly don't have them...

My typical situation would be 32 channels; one trunk direct to the monitor desk's local IO, and another to the FOH stage box.

Thanks!

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: Analog Split?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 08:49:48 PM »

I'm exploring getting an analog splitter for FOH / Monitor consoles.  I'm deep in the M32 ecosystem, and have commonly used two desks sharing the same DL32, and while it works well enough, the routing complexity and gain sharing aren't ideal. 

I'm seeing some cheap-looking 'seismic audio' options (common in traveling IEM rigs I see), and badass-but-spendy-looking whirlwind products, but not much in between.  Anyone know of something in the middle?

What's the prevailing wisdom on isolation transformers these days? Necessary, or no longer so?  The seismic ones clearly don't have them...

My typical situation would be 32 channels; one trunk direct to the monitor desk's local IO, and another to the FOH stage box.

Thanks!
We have passive (hardwired) splitters and transformer isolated splitters, all Whirlwind. If you are only ever planning to use it for splitting between a monitor console and an FOH stagebox, presumably plugged into the same power source, you do not need transformers. We have never run into problems with the passive units, no matter the situation.  Some of our colleagues only stock passive ramlatch units, and they do larger events than we do.
My experience with anything seismic is that it's worth it to spend a little more money (and I do mean a little) at Audiopile. Seismic cabling feels like wet spaghetti, it is not confidence inspiring. We have a fair amount of Audiopile's cable offerings from singular XLR, to stage subsnakes, patch snakes, etc... and they are a great value. If you are looking for a hardwired splitter and don't have the budget for whirlwind or ramlatch or CBI or radial, (et al) I am of the opinion that there is no need to look anywhere else.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 09:06:08 PM »

I have 2 of the seismic 32ch splitters.  One has 2 bad channels, and one works great since I fixed 3 bad channels. 

In short - for occasional use they’re ok. If you’re good at re soldering connections they’re ok.

and / or - buy a bigger unit than you need so when channels go down, you can work around it. 

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 09:37:35 PM »

What form factor?  The Whirlwind SB24P(1G) is a "stage box" that you plug your fan to fan snakes into.  The only drawback is that it's only 24ch in rather than 32ch.  The non-1G version is priced well, and not much more than the equivalent number of channels from EWI.

If you want permanently rack mounted, the Whirlwind SPC82 works well, but costs more.  The ProCo MS82 is basically the same, at a slightly higher cost. 

Radial splitters are similar, with option of Jensen transformers (not needed), at an even higher price. 

EWI is priced a little lower than the above, if you have 8RU to spare. 

I'm sure there are more.  Naturally having fans, or especially multipin, will push the cost up a lot. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 09:57:46 PM »

CBI "Ear Splitter" is what I've sold the most of. They will do whatever level of customization you want.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 10:00:10 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 12:58:56 AM »

I have a seismic 32ch that I've used a handful of times with no issue.  Their stuff gets a bad rap, but for something that gets taken care of, it works fine.  I wouldn't use their cables on stage, but the split doesn't get abused.

I would be willing to sell mine, as I'd much rather have 2 16 channel units since it would fit my needs better.
Brian Jojade

Simon Lewis

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 04:00:54 AM »

We have passive (hardwired) splitters and transformer isolated splitters, all Whirlwind.

At the risk of being called ultra pedantic, hardwired and transformer isolated splitters are both "passive" ;-)

I got called out on the terminology some years back...!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 09:48:24 AM »

I have a seismic 32ch that I've used a handful of times with no issue.  Their stuff gets a bad rap, but for something that gets taken care of, it works fine.  I wouldn't use their cables on stage, but the split doesn't get abused.

I agree.

The biggest issue I've seen with *some* Seismic snakes are faux-neutrik male XLR connectors that have slightly larger than standard outside diameters and can get stuck. I rather like the flexibility of their cables and, as noted, provided they're pampered, they'll do the job.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 12:03:37 PM »

Much respect to Whirlwind, but we've got stuff on back order since.... Nov 2022.  I'd not buy unless they are willing to give a 200% guarantee on delivery date.  Seriously.

I've specified and used active (BSS) splitters, transformer splitters, and "wye" splitters.  They all do the job.  "Back in the day" when the Pin 1 problem was frequent and AC power distribution in audio systems (and in venues) was a kind of cowboy exercise, transformers were a requirement of any big or serious system.  If the rig never connected to anything with different AC service (like, oh, video or a tie line to the LX operator's powered speaker) a wye splitter was often sufficient and you might be surprised at how many "companies you've heard of" used and still use them.

That said... Seismic is not a brand I'd buy or recommend, for all the reasons previously stated.

"Gain sharing" in the X/M32 is awkward at best and is absolutely not acceptable by the artist crew unless they set it up (and usually, bring it with them).

Call your Rapco/ProCo dealer and have them get a quote on a custom wye splitter.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 03:27:00 PM »

"If" you have the soldering skills adding a 12 ft piece of 32 pair cable to an existing snake stage box is the lowest up front cost way of making this work. The cost / benefit decision of course has more to do with how busy you are & how much you're charging for your time. If you were to do this mod to a well made Whirlwind or Rapco snake you'd certainly have a better quality snake than the Seismic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 03:27:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.