ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Midas M32 family - Midas DN4888, DN4816I, DN48O StageConnect Interfaces  (Read 298 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

I've seen these interfaces for just about a year now (product is probably older...).  since I got my M32c.  I've seen precious little detailed info on these.

Start with the basics: These are not AES50 interface devices, rather use a Stage Connect network.  They claim to be analog over ethernet.  I assume connections to the X/M32 family via the Ultranet port.  M32c included?

Three interfaces:
- DN4816I - 16 input
- DN4816O - 16 outputs
- DN4888 - 8 in and 8 out

On the DN4888 and DN4816i, do these have any sort of preamp per channel, and/or where are the D/A converters?

Functionally, is a connection of DN4888 with a DN4816i, equivalent to a DL16? (Port count would match, but of course not the same, but why?)

Can a DN4888 or DN4888O co-exist with a DL16, adding additional input/output channels?

Anyone with experience or general with these?

Nate Zifra

Without a Wing, these devices to my understanding are line level, no preamps.  However, they allow you to do some interesting things.  You can interconnect them, so you could use them like a digital snake (DN4816I to a DN4816O, or vice versa) to transmit 16 channels over an ethernet cable.  I have not tried this out.  If using it for inputs, you would have to go into a DN4816I, come out of the DN4816O with XLR cables and into an input on your desk to use preamps, or run line level.

I own a DN4816O.  It works with the Ultranet ports, so essentially anything I map to an Ultranet out, the DN4816O gives me that out as an analog output. I use it for monitor sends when I want shorter cable runs.  But I can also see using a combination of these to run outputs to an amp rack or IEM rack, etc.

While you are limited to the number of outputs the X/M console provides (16 with Ultranet), a DN4816O could work with a DL16 using the ultranet out to provide additional outputs.

I've seen some using them like a 16 channel split, with the drawback being it's not a true split, because the earliest tap point you can send is after the preamp on console.

I've seen these interfaces for just about a year now (product is probably older...).  since I got my M32c.  I've seen precious little detailed info on these.

Start with the basics: These are not AES50 interface devices, rather use a Stage Connect network.  They claim to be analog over ethernet.  I assume connections to the X/M32 family via the Ultranet port.  M32c included?

Three interfaces:
- DN4816I - 16 input
- DN4816O - 16 outputs
- DN4888 - 8 in and 8 out

On the DN4888 and DN4816i, do these have any sort of preamp per channel, and/or where are the D/A converters?

Functionally, is a connection of DN4888 with a DN4816i, equivalent to a DL16? (Port count would match, but of course not the same, but why?)

Can a DN4888 or DN4888O co-exist with a DL16, adding additional input/output channels?

Anyone with experience or general with these?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:09:43 PM by Nate Zifra »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

Thanks,Nate. The fog is lifting, if ever so slowly. If I am to understand this properly, use as a digital snake (DN4816I to a N4816O), would not need connection to Ultranet to work, as in a stand-alone digital snake?
As a DL16 has only 8 outputs, I can see the utility of a DN4816O to provide enough additional outputs to run additional IEM stereo mixes. 

Without a Wing, these devices to my understanding are line level, no preamps.  However, they allow you to do some interesting things.  You can interconnect them, so you could use them like a digital snake (DN4816I to a DN4816O, or vice versa) to transmit 16 channels over an ethernet cable.  I have not tried this out.  If using it for inputs, you would have to go into a DN4816I, come out of the DN4816O with XLR cables and into an input on your desk to use preamps, or run line level.

I own a DN4816O.  It works with the Ultranet ports, so essentially anything I map to an Ultranet out, the DN4816O gives me that out as an analog output. I use it for monitor sends when I want shorter cable runs.  But I can also see using a combination of these to run outputs to an amp rack or IEM rack, etc.

While you are limited to the number of outputs the X/M console provides (16 with Ultranet), a DN4816O could work with a DL16 using the ultranet out to provide additional outputs.

I've seen some using them like a 16 channel split, with the drawback being it's not a true split, because the earliest tap point you can send is after the preamp on console.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 11:05:53 AM by frank kayser »

Nate Zifra

It uses Ultranet protocol as the link in between boxes.  There's a diagram in the doc showing analog input to the DN4816I, and then Ultranet output to a PD-16, but since the DN4816O can convert Ultranet to an analog output, it appears to be able to work standalone without a console. So the DN4816I is converting the analog signal to Ultranet, and the DN4816O is converting the Ultranet back to analog.

Thanks,Nate. The fog is lifting, if ever so slowly. If I am to understand this properly, use as a digital snake (DN4816I to a N4816O), would not need connection to Ultranet to work, as in a stand-alone digital snake?
As a DL16 has only 8 outputs, I can see the utility of a DN4816O to provide enough additional outputs to run additional IEM stereo mixes.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.