ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering TH118  (Read 1524 times)

Floris Barthel

Powering TH118
« on: March 27, 2024, 12:32:02 AM »

Hi there! I have six Danley TH118 and three Dynacord DSA8212 amps (https://products.dynacord.com/la/en/dsa-8212/).

Based on my limited understanding I don't believe any single channel amplifier would have enough power to power even a single sub, but I was thinking maybe I could put amp in bridged mono and daisy chain two TH118s together per amp? Would that work?

Edit: having doubt now because theres no 2ohm spec for the amp...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:39:02 AM by Floris Barthel »

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Powering TH118
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 08:32:04 AM »

Is your setup for DJ use or live sound?  If it's DJ use, a single TH118 on each amp channel would work best (to help protect the speakers).  As for amplifiers that can power a TH118 (on one channel), Crown I-tech, Macro Tech; Powersoft T9 series, (to name a few).  Work with what you have and see if you need more power.  Looks like what you currently have (speakers and amps) is a good combination for the protection of the speakers.

Looks like this thread needs to be in the Lab Lounge.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 12:46:43 PM »

Hi there! I have six Danley TH118 and three Dynacord DSA8212 amps (https://products.dynacord.com/la/en/dsa-8212/).

Based on my limited understanding I don't believe any single channel amplifier would have enough power to power even a single sub, but I was thinking maybe I could put amp in bridged mono and daisy chain two TH118s together per amp? Would that work?

Edit: having doubt now because theres no 2ohm spec for the amp...

According to the specs you linked, your amp does have a 2Ω rating, however it is at a higher distortion level, and is not a big boost in power, 1700W per speaker bridged mono mode with 2 speakers per amp vs. 1200 per speaker at 4Ω with 2 speakers per amp stereo mode. That is less than 2dB difference, hardly worth the effort, complication, and possible increase in heat.

Mac

Floris Barthel

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 03:52:12 PM »

Thank you both! This is for DJing so I'll stay away from running anything in parallel and stick to single speaker box/channel.  Based on what you guys are saying it seems that I can probably run the TH118s fine using a single channel of the Dynacord amp but won't be able to push them (even close) to their peak? If guess I bridged the amp I could run one sub at (near) peak performance, but given that I only have three amps I wouldn't be able to power all six? Either way and most importantly: it seems like the amp is a "safe" choice and isn't likely to blow up the very expensive gear?

I'll need to start looking for some new amps in the near future, thanks for the suggestions.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 09:13:48 PM »

Before thinking of spending money on big amps... there's a lot to know about a speaker's power rating. 

Don't get sucked into the big wattage numbers without knowing what those numbers actually mean.

Powering speakers for DJ use is a little different than for live sound.  Here's the reality... The "peak" rating of your speakers should NEVER be construed as what a speaker can handle.  Peak ratings are usually only expressed as ~20ms of time, and anymore time than that, will usually equate to either a thermal failure of the speaker, or a mechanical failure of the speaker.  Do not use amplifiers with power rated for a speakers "peak" power, this will more than likely destroy your speakers. 

The peak rating of the speaker should be the "Program" power of the cabinet (this is usually the middle power figure).  The program power does NOT mean you can run that level of power to the speaker consistently.  A speaker's "Program" power is usually rated for a few seconds.  Running a speaker continuously at its "Program" power will cause thermal failure of the speaker.

For DJ use, you should not use an amplifier rated for more than a speaker's "Continuous" power rating... this is the lowest power rating usually given to a speaker.  A speaker's "Continuous" rating is usually rated for many hours of use (at that power level).  This is the power rating you should be using.

Looks like the Dynacord amplifiers you currently have with those subs are your best choice for DJ use with those speakers.  As well, it looks like someone may have already sized those amps with those speakers; appears those amps are safe for those speakers; at one speaker per channel.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:17:10 PM by Bob Faulkner »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 09:27:53 PM »

The Danleys are 4ohm boxes?

6 of these with 1100-1200w each(on paper) will make quite a bit of noise, the thing is even if you had double the power it would only produce 3dB more output theoretically... but maybe not even that much depending on the duty cycle and crest factor of the program material and how much heat it's putting into the voice coils. 2-3dB is probably just enough of a difference to be noticable but the risk to the drivers increases immensely. These modern 3400w super drivers are very good at handling highly dynamic music but with highly compressed prerecorded tracks the long term survivable power drops to maybe 1/4 of that. I'm sure Ivan has posted some limiter sugestions for these at some point, I don't know if this is correct but 54v pops into my mind as what he suggested as the thermal limiter setting which is about 750w into 4ohms.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:42:44 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 09:40:04 PM »

I'll stay away from running anything in parallel and stick to single speaker box/channel.

As well as stay away from bridging, since 4 ohms bridged = 2 ohms per amp channel. 

Sounds good.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 12:17:42 PM »

Bob Faulkner lays it out nicely and saved me typing on my phone...

For the OP - if your playback includes sustained VLF content you will be surprised at how fast your subs will heat up, and how few Watts it takes to "smell the voice coils."  On a popular 2x18 reflex sub, 400-500W was sufficient to have the cabinets dancing around the floor and after 10-20 minutes one could smell the heat at the reflex ports.  The "peak rating" was something around 5,000 Watts.  There is no doubt in my mind that to apply that much power would result in failed speakers and maybe necessitate a fire extinguisher moment.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Floris Barthel

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 02:42:34 PM »

Looks like the Dynacord amplifiers you currently have with those subs are your best choice for DJ use with those speakers.  As well, it looks like someone may have already sized those amps with those speakers; appears those amps are safe for those speakers; at one speaker per channel.

I got those amps a year or so ago for < $1k each. I've been using them for a much smaller Danley setup and they've been really blowing my mind so far. I acquired them separately from the TH118s.

Before thinking of spending money on big amps... there's a lot to know about a speaker's power rating. 

Yes - it doesn't sit right with me at the moment to spend > $5k for a DNA20k amp or similar when I've got the Dynacords, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough to confidently make this call by myself so really appreciate all the comments from everyone here.

For the OP - if your playback includes sustained VLF content you will be surprised at how fast your subs will heat up, and how few Watts it takes to "smell the voice coils."  On a popular 2x18 reflex sub, 400-500W was sufficient to have the cabinets dancing around the floor and after 10-20 minutes one could smell the heat at the reflex ports.  The "peak rating" was something around 5,000 Watts.  There is no doubt in my mind that to apply that much power would result in failed speakers and maybe necessitate a fire extinguisher moment.

DNA20k amps are what a majority TH118 users seem to be using though: https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/DNA-Pro-Specs-v1.4.pdf
It's super hard for me to compare amp specs but the cost is astronomical in comparison to what I paid for the Dynacords.

The Danleys are 4ohm boxes?

Yep! Specs are here https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/TH118-Spec-Sheet-v.202209231214.pdf. The "Recommended Power Amplifier" specs threw me off.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 02:47:55 PM by Floris Barthel »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 03:09:51 PM »

I got those amps a year or so ago for < $1k each. I've been using them for a much smaller Danley setup and they've been really blowing my mind so far. I acquired them separately from the TH118s.

The "Recommended Power Amplifier" specs threw me off.
The Dynacord DSA8212 amp would work fine bridged mono into a single 4 ohm TH-118.
You would need three more if you want to use the dynamic range the TH-118 can handle.
Their peak power of 3400 watts is good, but as Paul (and Ivan) have suggested the long term limiting should be set to about 1/4 that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 03:09:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.