ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas or Behringer box for M32C  (Read 803 times)

Rolando Saenz

Midas or Behringer box for M32C
« on: March 26, 2024, 06:14:32 AM »

Guys,
Maybe I will get a second hand M32C,
My question is, there is a lot of debate about the Midas stage boxes vs the behringer ones sound wise.

So is it tangible? Is it noticeably in a live FOH environment?
This will not be used as studio recording project.

Just PA application for bands and DJ gigs, so hiss is not ont the list of cons.

For the studio/live audio cats over here who have thousands of flight time, does A blind test will clearly show a more punchy , silkier, smoothier , velvety sound from one to the other or is just
Marketing hype.

What I know for a fact is that pictures uploaded on the web shows different internals between the Midas / behringer boxes .

The xlr connectors suppose to be neutrik on the Midas vs no name on the behrry

Preamp wise the Midas suppose to inherit the big Midas preamps discreet transistor circuit electronics vs the behrry Xenyx little board preamps.

ADDA on Midas vs the behrry idk, different boards colors can't give me a clue , cirrus logic convertors or propietary chipset?
Discreet clock board like the black lion audio mods for the audio interfaces or high end antelope ,Lynx ,Apogee, UA ,just to name some.

In overall do I get a second hand Midas stage box or a behringer one if I decide to take home the Midas brain.?

Wish to hear your personal opinions with a grain of salt or 2 ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 06:23:03 AM by Rolando Saenz »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Midas or Behringer box for M32C
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 06:21:03 AM »

DL251 sounds different than a DL32. I have both and prefer the DL251 if I don't need the AES outputs and can live with the increased size.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 06:27:54 AM »

DL251 sounds different than a DL32. I have both and prefer the DL251 if I don't need the AES outputs and can live with the increased size.

Wow it cost 5k I guess must have better internals besides the big box, and I will need. 16 space rolling cart to mount it along the patch bay and network AP and power conditioner ;)
Even second hand maybe 2k?

48 channels is over kil 4me , 24 at.most ,but if the difference is night and day I will sell a kidney over eBay :D

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 06:40:17 AM »

Wow it cost 5k I guess must have better internals besides the big box, and I will need. 16 space rolling cart to mount it along the patch bay and network AP and power conditioner ;)
Even second hand maybe 2k?

48 channels is over kil 4me , 24 at.most ,but if the difference is night and day I will sell a kidney over eBay :D

M32 maxes out at 32 inputs on both stage boxes. For me the difference is big enough to justify lugging a much larger stage box around most of the time.
I have 3 DL251 for my Pro series consoles, two of them in racks with LK37 patch etc, and one in a Peli Case with foam for "random use".
DL32 usually goes out on dry-hires.

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 06:44:55 AM »

DL32 usually goes out on dry-hires.
So M32C can only accept 2 DL32's right ? It have 2 aes50 ports on the back, what  dry-hires means?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 07:01:58 AM by Rolando Saenz »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 07:02:38 AM »

As I have both a DL16 and a S16 I had a chance to A/B them live at a show. The first set I got everything up and running with 15 channels into the DL16. Ran the DL16 the 2nd set. 3rd set I switched to the S16 and the last set back to the DL16. The gains were exactly the same and I felt the band performed within reason the same. About as good as an A/B comparison that an average Joe may see on a gig. My impressions were that there is "something" different about the 2. The S16 just seemed a little dry or sharper. Maybe a haze or although you didn't want to look at it there was a little masking going on which may have been in the S/N ratio. The DL16 just sounded more fluid and more refined.
  The real truth would be had I been listening to the band and didn't see the soundperson go up and change the inputs/outputs during the break I may not have noticed a difference. At least I don't believe I would have but I'd say the odds were 50/50.
  Don't forget the "Output" preamps are different as well on these stage boxes so that has to be considered too.
Stepping up to the "Pro Series" stage boxes, that I haven't used, I still believe would be another step up. Only you and your wallet really know what is best for your system.

All of the above said I still happily use the DL16/S16 I have and wouldn't have any objections if a Behringer stage box was used at an install I had to mix on. Still, I seem to use up the DL16 on the money channels first then use the S16 for added channel count.
Maybe a DL16 and SD8 would be a cost-effective solution if 24 channels or under is what you need to get the job done?

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 07:13:43 AM »

So M32C can only accept 2 DL32's right ? It have 2 aes50 ports on the back, what  dry-hires means?

No use with two DL32 as the M32 platform (all models) max out at 32 channels.

Dry hire is a rental.  Equipment on the dock. No techs or other services.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 07:58:35 AM »

IIRC connecting two of the 32 channel stage boxes, either Midas or Behringer, with any of the M/X series consoles gives you access to all 32 input channels on the first one in line, and the first 16 on the second one in line. You can have 48 remote input channels connected to one console (so not counting the on-console ones) but not 64.

This allows you to have more than 32 inputs connected to one console, but you can only select 32 at a time out of the 48 connected, if you need that ability. I haven't tried this since the firmware was upgraded to allowing you to pick any input in sequence from any group of 8.

I have never needed the ability to have more than 32 inputs connected to a console, but maybe someone somewhere does and has.

Knowing this is from "I wonder what would happen if..." shop days. I haven't tried it in a long time, though, so some detail of this may be wrong.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 10:17:53 AM »

Guys,
Maybe I will get a second hand M32C,
My question is, there is a lot of debate about the Midas stage boxes vs the behringer ones sound wise.

So is it tangible? Is it noticeably in a live FOH environment?
This will not be used as studio recording project.

Just PA application for bands and DJ gigs, so hiss is not ont the list of cons.

For the studio/live audio cats over here who have thousands of flight time, does A blind test will clearly show a more punchy , silkier, smoothier , velvety sound from one to the other or is just
Marketing hype.

What I know for a fact is that pictures uploaded on the web shows different internals between the Midas / behringer boxes .

The xlr connectors suppose to be neutrik on the Midas vs no name on the behrry

Preamp wise the Midas suppose to inherit the big Midas preamps discreet transistor circuit electronics vs the behrry Xenyx little board preamps.

ADDA on Midas vs the behrry idk, different boards colors can't give me a clue , cirrus logic convertors or propietary chipset?
Discreet clock board like the black lion audio mods for the audio interfaces or high end antelope ,Lynx ,Apogee, UA ,just to name some.

In overall do I get a second hand Midas stage box or a behringer one if I decide to take home the Midas brain.?

Wish to hear your personal opinions with a grain of salt or 2 ;)

I had an M32Live and then switched to M32C and have 2 DL16s. A lot of the in house rigs I use are X32 and S16 or S32 so I have had the opportunity to A/B them quite a bit and a lot of times same band.
The DL does sound better IMO but I don't know if its such a big difference that alone it matters.
The DL does feel a lot sturdier though and that is a consideration for a mobile rig.
Jeff

Rolando Saenz

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 11:34:02 AM »

I had an M32Live and then switched to M32C and have 2 DL16s. A lot of the in house rigs I use are X32 and S16 or S32 so I have had the opportunity to A/B them quite a bit and a lot of times same band.
The DL does sound better IMO but I don't know if its such a big difference that alone it matters.
The DL does feel a lot sturdier though and that is a consideration for a mobile rig.

do you rack the M32C along with some other stuff ?
a furman conditioner or UPS ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 11:34:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.