ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flickering random ASCII in SC48 LCD channel strips - virus?  (Read 403 times)

Michael Fletcher

• WHAT
    • Nice Production
Flickering random ASCII in SC48 LCD channel strips - virus?
« on: March 26, 2024, 05:33:04 AM »

I'm currently running a musical theatre show on an SC48 & Venue StageRack, which is in itself an amazing thing to admit in 2024. However, the console in question has random characters (letters, punctuation, other stuff) flickering in various places in its LCD channel strips. I've never seen this before, and I'm wondering if someone else has, and can advise whether this is likely to be a virus, or a failure in the console itself. I wonder if the LCD display driver is corrupt would it do that? Or if a ribbon cable connection is damaged and data is being corrupted on the way to the display?

Video of the issue is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vasSBKrHy2M

The console is otherwise operating how I would expect. It's pretty saturated as far as channel count in and out goes, as well as buss usage, but quite light on for plugin use. Just a bunch of EQ7 and DYN3, three or four digidesign reverbs/delays, and one instance of C4. It's not showing any signs of sluggish behaviour or audio glitches.

Any ideas?
Sound design, live mixing, live recording, educator

Brad Harris

Re: Flickering random ASCII in SC48 LCD channel strips - virus?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 09:52:06 AM »

I've had this a few times on rental or house consoles.

It hasn't affected the function with the shows that I've done, but one could do a full restore and wipe the drive to get it back to a "safe" starting spot (If you have the time and resources to do so).

If this was a rented console, I'd expect the rental house to do that before it left (not every time, but definitely if it is showing signs of the hieroglyphics)

Brad

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 09:43:15 PM »

I'm currently running a musical theatre show on an SC48 & Venue StageRack, which is in itself an amazing thing to admit in 2024. However, the console in question has random characters (letters, punctuation, other stuff) flickering in various places in its LCD channel strips. I've never seen this before, and I'm wondering if someone else has, and can advise whether this is likely to be a virus, or a failure in the console itself. I wonder if the LCD display driver is corrupt would it do that? Or if a ribbon cable connection is damaged and data is being corrupted on the way to the display?

Video of the issue is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vasSBKrHy2M

The console is otherwise operating how I would expect. It's pretty saturated as far as channel count in and out goes, as well as buss usage, but quite light on for plugin use. Just a bunch of EQ7 and DYN3, three or four digidesign reverbs/delays, and one instance of C4. It's not showing any signs of sluggish behaviour or audio glitches.

Any ideas?
I had this same issue on a dbx Driverack-260.  Letters/numbers appearing... incomplete words appearing, etc... The display on the Driverack 260 was failing.  I replaced the display; no more issues. 

Looks like maybe the scribble strips on the console are in need of replacement. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 09:43:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.