ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rewiring H.O.W. Stage  (Read 1138 times)

Denny Griffin

Re: Rewiring H.O.W. Stage
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 12:04:48 PM »

Hi Weogo, and thanks for responding! We're actually looking at the ProFX30v3.  It's very similar to what we currently have, just a newer version.

Denny Griffin

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 12:10:05 PM »

Hi Tim, and thank you for the response!  I will definitely look into these! I whole heartedly agree with everything you said about floor boxes. However this a a pretty small stage, and at absolute best, we have a 5 person worship band, consisting of acoustic guitar, bass, Cajon, and vocals.  No real electric instruments; were kinda bluegrass! 😁  I think the size of stage would allow for floor boxes to be better utilized,  that is, until I saw your thought!  I'm going to run it by our worship team and leaders and see what they think.

Thanks again!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 12:14:59 PM »

Hi Scott! Thank you for the response.   We are going to stick with an analog board for now, for several reasons.  Not the least of which is, we're a very small church, and there's no real need to transition to digital now.  I came from a much larger church using an SQ-6, and it would just be wasted where we are.  Cost is also an issue.  Not to mention the training involved in switching from analog to digital. While in sure there will be a day in the future when it is needed,  right now analog is the best bet for our particular application.

I appreciate the response,  thansk again!
I am thinking a headless would be perfect for you.  It doesn’t have to be more cold complicated it’s actually easier I hate to see you waste good money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 04:23:44 PM »

Hi Mike, and THANK YOU!

Condition is good.  Quality is average.  Nothing exceptional,  but not the cheapest either.  The current soundboard was a hand me down analog.  It's opd and tired; signal cutting in and out, changes in sound quality, etc.  If you tap the board with a finger near the slider for the particular channel giving troubles, it usually resolves the issue, but only temporarily.

Yes, we are most definitely sticking with analog. No sense in buying a race car for a two lane dirt road.  Unfortunately,  I'm donating 100% or my time and the new board for this project, so there's not really any budget for calling in a professional.

Yes, the box I'm referring to is the box at the stage end, where all the female ends of the snake plug tiny from the board side. Then, it provides numbered male connections on the top of the box.  Is this box still necessary if going with recessed floor boxes?  I didn't know if it provided any type of insulation,  noise reduction through the lines,,, or if it was just a 'point to point' connection with no other function.. I'd prefer to get rid of it and just use the recessed boxes if possible.

I appreciate you input and response,  thanks again!

The snake is just point to point connections. If you get rid of the stage box each mic line from the floor box jacks will need to be either spliced into the snake cable or a series of home runs with maybe small channel count snakes back to the sound booth.
If the stage box can relocated to the basement then the lines from the floor boxes could be ran to the snake box and plugged into the channels on the box.

What are you using for stage monitors if any?
What do you have in the way of system processing?
You always want some extra channels but how many channels do you use now?
What is the rest of the system, amps, speakers, ect?

A couple months ago I did a church upgrade and part of that was replacing their older Yamaha analog
mixer with an Allen Heath CQ18, without doing anything channel or mix processing wise the system sounded better from the moment we turn it on, their sound operator noticed it as well. The main speaker system did not change.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:14:33 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 09:39:08 AM »

Some people are giving away Analog consoles that are in perfect working order. A company I do a lot of work for just the other day gave away an A&H 32 channel console in a road case. That was very gently used. The problem with analog consoles compared to digital ones is the size and weight compared to the capabilities. Digital is smaller and lighter and doesn't require all of the external rack gear to get the job done. So the analog stuff isn't of much use to a lot of people.

So if you really want an analog console for all of the reasons that you mentioned I would look around to see what you might be able to get for free.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 02:17:31 PM »

I'm with the others on keeping the snake with the box at the stage end. Put the box in an inconspicuous place and use it as a patch bay, where you can connect wall jacks, stage pockets, drop snakes, or whatever into it.

This also lets you put more jacks around the place than you'll need during any given event, and you can patch as needed, without running lines all the way back to FOH. Think of the snake box as a "remote" back-of-mixer patch bay.

On the other hand, realize that not using a digital mixer with a digital snake means that you have to physically reconnect things at the snake box as needed. With a digital snake, you can have a stage box and have EVERYTHING plugged in, and manage your patching (jack to channel) virtually. So when you've got 48 jacks placed around the stage and a 32 channel mixer, you can just reassign any input jack to any channel.

There are costs and benefits to both methods, but home-running every drop gets expensive in a hurry and limits your flexibility unless you seriously overbuild.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 11:01:53 PM »

We are going to stick with an analog board for now, for several reasons.  Not the least of which is, we're a very small church, and there's no real need to transition to digital now.  I came from a much larger church using an SQ-6, and it would just be wasted where we are.  Cost is also an issue.  Not to mention the training involved in switching from analog to digital. While in sure there will be a day in the future when it is needed,  right now analog is the best bet for our particular application.
We're actually looking at the ProFX30v3.  It's very similar to what we currently have, just a newer version.
However this a a pretty small stage, and at absolute best, we have a 5 person worship band, consisting of acoustic guitar, bass, Cajon, and vocals.  No real electric instruments; were kinda bluegrass!
The future arrived about a decade ago when it comes to digital vs analog consoles.  Aside from super small boards for people to use with their solo acts, a new, entry level analog console like the ProFX30v3 is a waste of money. What's the problem with the current board, and do you need all 30 channels?

It doesn't look like you need that large of a channel count, so if you're stuck on analog, look for a used A&H MixWizard.  Better quality than the Mackie, more auxes, and another sweepable EQ band.  Wouldn't have built in compression or USB connectivity, but you'd probably have money left over to cover that.  Even if you do need more channels, there are good quality options out there that might still be less money than the new Mackie.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 12:39:01 AM »

Yes, we are most definitely sticking with analog. No sense in buying a race car for a two lane dirt road.  Unfortunately,  I'm donating 100% or my time and the new board for this project, so there's not really any budget for calling in a professional.

The ONLY reason to look at an analog console would be because you have a limited budget.  However, even in the smallest of shows, using a digital board gives you so vastly many more options, it seems crazy to buy anything else.

As others have said, you could probably get an analog mixer for free.  If you're not moving it around at all, a big heavy one that people don't like moving around would be fairly easy to find.

If you're installing floor pockets, you can either home run the lines all the way back to the console, or just run lines to your existing snake and patch in there.  If the snake is in working order, that's the easiest solution.  If someday in the future you do get a digital board, you could then put the stagebox there and run cat 5 back to home position and you're done.

If you put in more floor pocket lines than lines available, you can easily go and patch in the ones you're currently using.  That gives you ultimate flexibility.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 12:39:01 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.