ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rewiring H.O.W. Stage  (Read 1184 times)

Denny Griffin

Rewiring H.O.W. Stage
« on: March 24, 2024, 05:06:10 PM »

Greetings All

I attend a small country church. 3 sets of 10 pews, left, center and right. Total Sq ft of the sanctuary is 2,000-2500.

I'm purchasing a new soundboard for the church. 32 channel Mackie, nothing fancy, but very functional.

While looking at everything,  I realized their is a snake running from the current board, to the stage, underneath the floor (this church has a basement).  The snake comes up through the bottom of the stage, and terminates at a 32 channel XLR box.  There are XLR's rat nested all over the stage from years of melneglect.

My question is this;  if I were to install 3-4 recessed boxes on the stage, would I need to keep the XLR box, or could I plug the individual snake wires directly into the recessed boxes?

I greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks and God Bless
DaFazsha

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Rewiring H.O.W. Stage
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 07:37:42 PM »

What is the  condition of the fan tail end at the mixer?

Yes floor boxes work, though it always seems about six months after there installed at least one of them will be in the wrong spot! 
By XLR box my guess is your talking about the box on the end of the snake. Could it be located in the basement
and be as the connection/ patch point for the lines from stage boxes?

How are connectors in the box? Snake cable quality ranges disposable cheap junk to truly pro.

It may be a good idea to bring in someone who does system installations and give your system a look over before you get too deep into the project. In the long run that could save you some money.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 08:14:17 PM »

Greetings All

I attend a small country church. 3 sets of 10 pews, left, center and right. Total Sq ft of the sanctuary is 2,000-2500.

I'm purchasing a new soundboard for the church. 32 channel Mackie, nothing fancy, but very functional.

While looking at everything,  I realized their is a snake running from the current board, to the stage, underneath the floor (this church has a basement).  The snake comes up through the bottom of the stage, and terminates at a 32 channel XLR box.  There are XLR's rat nested all over the stage from years of melneglect.

My question is this;  if I were to install 3-4 recessed boxes on the stage, would I need to keep the XLR box, or could I plug the individual snake wires directly into the recessed boxes?

Thanks and God Bless
DaFazsha

Hi make sure you purchase a digital sound board.  Is the Mackie digital?  You don't want to invest in analog and it's harder to use.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 08:42:35 AM »

Hi make sure you purchase a digital sound board.  Is the Mackie digital?  You don't want to invest in analog and it's harder to use.

Yes, no, maybe.....depending on the level of operators and how much if any the operators "invest" themselves into operating the system.
Sometimes an ole fashion gain knob, mute button and fader with no menus or channel select buttons still has a place.

But yea Denny if you have the sound team and are doing live music with the occasional production of some sort look a digital mixer and think about the last sentence in my first post.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 09:14:06 AM »

Hi Danny,

Consider the flexibility of keeping your current snake, and adding sub-snakes.
four~eight-channel sub-snakes can really clean up a stage, and still leave a lot of flexibility.

I have multiple Mackie digital mixers.
Are you looking at the Mackie DL32S mixer? 
Could you fit all of your inputs on a DL16S mixer?
Also consider other mixer brands for the varying features offered.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 01:46:45 PM »

Yes, no, maybe.....depending on the level of operators and how much if any the operators "invest" themselves into operating the system.
Sometimes an ole fashion gain knob, mute button and fader with no menus or channel select buttons still has a place.

But yea Denny if you have the sound team and are doing live music with the occasional production of some sort look a digital mixer and think about the last sentence in my first post.
Hi the digital mixers have some knobs it depends on which one.

Everyone knows how to use a computer or a tablet.  I find digital mixers are easier for amateurs to learn. 

You also can save your l won good scene. 

Still can use that snake.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 02:38:30 PM »

I'm the Media Director at a pretty large church. I hate stage pockets with a passion. They are never where you need them, and they fill up with dirt and crud so the XLR's get stuck in the jacks. They are more of a trip hazard in my eye since they are right in the middle of everything with a bunch of cables coming out of them that don't lay flat, and someone always pinches the cord in the edge of the door which will, at best, just kill an XLR cable and at worst chop through an extension cord.

Use your existing snake and then buy several of these: https://www.audiopile.net/PSX-8 and these: https://www.audiopile.net/MTFM-4

Then buy a double handful of short 5-10 foot XLR cables. Run the subsnakes from the main snake (hidden out of sight) to the musicians, then use 5 foot cables to plug everything in. Buy your subsnakes longer than you expect so you can route them around the edges of the stage, or under carpets, or just generally out of the way.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 04:54:53 PM »

Greetings All

Thanks and God Bless
DaFazsha
As the others have said, digital is the way to go if you're getting the church a new soundboard.  I'd go with getting a stagebox and just run a data cable to the soundboard rather than a XLR snake.

As for the stage pockets, I've heard a lot of hate for them on this forum, but I've never had any issues with them.  I think the trick is placing them properly and not putting too much i/o (inputs/outputs) into one pocket.  At the churches I've volunteered at that had them, I was always able to route cables so that no one coming on or off stage would encounter a cable in their path.  Might also be worth noting that these churches completely emptied their stages after *every* service.  That said, they're not really necessary since you can use wall plates for i/o on the sides, rear, and front of the stage.  But to answer your original question - yes, you can wire the snake directly to the floor boxes, wall plates, etc. 

Denny Griffin

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 11:52:09 AM »

Hi Mike, and THANK YOU!

Condition is good.  Quality is average.  Nothing exceptional,  but not the cheapest either.  The current soundboard was a hand me down analog.  It's opd and tired; signal cutting in and out, changes in sound quality, etc.  If you tap the board with a finger near the slider for the particular channel giving troubles, it usually resolves the issue, but only temporarily.

Yes, we are most definitely sticking with analog. No sense in buying a race car for a two lane dirt road.  Unfortunately,  I'm donating 100% or my time and the new board for this project, so there's not really any budget for calling in a professional.

Yes, the box I'm referring to is the box at the stage end, where all the female ends of the snake plug tiny from the board side. Then, it provides numbered male connections on the top of the box.  Is this box still necessary if going with recessed floor boxes?  I didn't know if it provided any type of insulation,  noise reduction through the lines,,, or if it was just a 'point to point' connection with no other function.. I'd prefer to get rid of it and just use the recessed boxes if possible.

I appreciate you input and response,  thanks again!

Denny Griffin

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 11:56:22 AM »

Hi Scott! Thank you for the response.   We are going to stick with an analog board for now, for several reasons.  Not the least of which is, we're a very small church, and there's no real need to transition to digital now.  I came from a much larger church using an SQ-6, and it would just be wasted where we are.  Cost is also an issue.  Not to mention the training involved in switching from analog to digital. While in sure there will be a day in the future when it is needed,  right now analog is the best bet for our particular application.

I appreciate the response,  thansk again!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 11:56:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.